The Individual VS The Community

by logansrun 15 Replies latest jw friends

• logansrun
    logansrun

My dog is a very solitary animal. To be honest, she's rather disintristed in humans and keeps to herself. She doesn't like to play and is extremely disobedient. There is something that changes this behavior rather drastically, though. Whenever it thunderstorms outside, or if there are loud noises like on the Fourth of July, my dog will follow me, or anyone else, around the house, even into the bathroom! A primal need she doesn't understand tells her, "Danger! Seek others!"

Are humans any different? Of course not. "There's safety in numbers" is an of-used cliche because it's true. We pull together when we are threatened or when there is tragedy. This is a good thing.

But, as we know so well as ex-JWs, groups can be a very bad thing too. Evolution has engineered humans, like it did dogs, to be social creatures. We need others. But, almost invariably, the group becomes more important than the individuals it is supposed to serve. The strength of groups -- cohesion, belongingness, safety, -- are also it's weaknesses. Again, we know this all too well for me to have to explicate further.

Individualism versus communitarianism! Both concepts have their strengths and weaknesses. The individual is nothing without society and an intimate soulmate(s). And yet, the danger is mindless conformity and groupthink. Where is the "golden mean" between the two extremes? Has society at large gone too far one way or the other? Have we as ex-members of an extremest group formed a nasty reaction-formation against the idea of community, or have we traded one cult for another?

B.

• Markfromcali
    Markfromcali

How about none of the above? You don't have to run right out and join another group, and you don't have to avoid them like the plague either. I'm loosely involved in a group that's not really organized, but I spend long periods of time away because of there being no reason to seek them out, and there will likely be more of these periods as I'm not going to drive for a while. If I have a reason to call up some individuals I will, but if not that's fine too. Of course, I'm weird in that I take neither very seriously.

• gumby
    gumby
    Have we as ex-members of an extremest group formed a nasty reaction-formation against the idea of community, or have we traded one cult for another?

A lot of us have....but not all have. Because all groups have similar traits....cliques, gossiping, favoritism, etc., then those who have just escaped these things become paranoid when they see it again in a group, rather than realising humans just act that way. It comes with the territory.

Gumby

• Siddhashunyata
    Siddhashunyata

No man is an island. All men are an island. Between these two thoughts lies the understanding of reconciliation between the individual and society. There is only One individual and we are it. Each has to find the understanding himself. The understanding transforms the individual. Transform all individuals and Society will follow.

• Carmel
    Carmel

Actually, the relationship is a reciprocal one in which the individual draws strength from others while moving the concept of community to a higher level by mutually reinforcing enterchange. That is in a healthy dynamic. High control groups or individuals that are wanting power or influence corrupt a community and vie for "position". This generally anlienates the vast majority. If your religion is only functional with high control and a strong heirarchy of power ceded in individuals, it will stifle individual growth, creativity and self worth. Trade it in!

carmel

• Xena
    Xena

I think it depends on the individual. Some people repeat patterns of abuse in their lives...some break out of it and some don't. I would imagine it would work the same way in this type of situation also. Some leave the dubs only to become attached to another group and allow it to define their lives. Others leave the dubs and while joining other groups still keep their individuality intact. They no longer blindly accept what ANYONE tells them, nor go along with the group just to fit in and be popular.

There is nothing wrong with belonging Bradley...it's just when you allow the desire to belong to override and crush your ability to think for yourself that you have a problem, in my opinion anyway.

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie
    The individual is nothing without society and an intimate soulmate(s). And yet, the danger is mindless conformity and groupthink.

HUH? Bradley, I don't circulate in "society", per se and I don't have a soulmate....this does not make me nothing IMO. In essence, I find it more comfortable to "dabble lightly" and avoid the mindless conformity and groupthink, wherever possible. It insures my individuality, IMO, while affording me the opportunity to hold on to the edge of that symbiotic relationship with society...to reach out and touch others...with caution.

A person is not "nothing" when they do not conform to the norm of society's standards, Bradley....they're just a "horse of a different color", ya might say.

Frannie B

• teejay
    teejay

Funny how much like dogs humans are!

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie

Are you barkin' at me, teejay?

Frannie B

• Xena
    Xena
    Funny how much like dogs humans are!

I thought that was just men????? Nice to see you around teejay