MORALITY: what is it really?

by Terry 60 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Valis
    Valis

morality is a set of values best kept by civilizations that don't have to worry about war, famine and mass extinction. About the only time it seems to work IMO...

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• Terry
    Terry

We=humans

• willy_think
    willy_think

Morality, is a socially imposed code of conduct that benefits Society at the cost of the individual.

• Terry
    Terry

Morality cannot be escaped.

It is often ugly.

The Donner party, for example.

• myelaine
    myelaine

Dear Terry,

Are you trying to say that, our emotional REACTION to a CHOICE determines the choices we make, depentant upon whether those choices are in line with our "morality", in relation to our end GOAL? Which would be, in the case of a mentally healthy able-bodied man, a long and graceful, purpose-led life?

michelle

p.s. and why are you saying that?

• Valis
    Valis

Morality had little to do w/the Donner party. Pragmatism and the will to survive took precedence in that case.

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• myelaine
    myelaine

"Morality, is a socially imposed code of conduct that benefits Society at the cost of the individual."????????? Don't most people want to be a benefit to society??????

• Terry
    Terry

willy_think says:

"Morality, is a socially imposed code of conduct that benefits Society at the cost of the individual."

_____________________________________________________________________________ I reply: If you are enslaved to a collective and buy in to group-think; then, I agree with you. But, the morality I speak of comes from you.

• czarofmischief
    czarofmischief

So, Terry, I'm confused. Are you saying that morality IS relative or that it isn't?

CZAR

• Terry
    Terry

VALIS SAYS:

Morality had little to do w/the Donner party. Pragmatism and the will to survive took precedence in that case.

PRAGMATISM: a method in philosophy where value is determined by practical results.

**********************************************************************************************************************

I respond:

Valis, you and I are saying the exact same thing! You are using the word "pragmatism" and I'm using the word "morality".

The method and the result are the same.

Apparently our difference is semantic.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit