Absolutely terrible WT article Re: Repressed Memories.... WARNING: Triggers

by Nosferatu 12 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

I was absolutely furious when I came upon this Watchtower article. It makes me absolutely sick to read such horseshit.

Comments and emphasis: mine

Watchtower, Nov 1, 1995 p 25-29

Repressed Memories"
    In recent years some have been "brokenhearted" for reasons that others find difficult to understand. They are adults who, on the basis of what have been described as "repressed memories," say that they were sexually abused when they were children. Some have no thought of having been molested until, unexpectedly, they experience flashbacks and "memories" of an adult (or adults) abusing them when they were young. Do any in the Christian congregation have such disturbing thoughts? In a few lands, yes, and these dedicated ones may experience deep distress, anger, guilt, shame, or loneliness. Like David they may feel isolated from God and cry out: "Why, O Jehovah, do you keep standing afar off? Why do you keep yourself hid in times of distress?"-Psalm 10:1.
    Many aspects of these "memories" are not well understood by mental-health professionals. Still, such "memories" can affect the spirituality of dedicated Christians. So we look with confidence to God's Word for guidance in handling them. The Bible provides "discernment in all things." (2 Timothy 2:7; 3:16) It also helps all concerned to put faith in Jehovah, "the Father of tender mercies and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our tribulation."-2 Corinthians 1:3, 4.
    Did It Really Happen?
    In the world, there is much controversy as to what these "memories" are and to what extent they represent things that actually happened. Jehovah's Witnesses are "no part of the world" and take no part in this controversy. (John 17:16) According to published reports, "memories" have sometimes proved to be accurate. For example, after insurance adjuster Frank Fitzpatrick "remembered" being molested by a certain priest, almost one hundred others came forward to claim that they too had been abused by the same priest. The priest reportedly admitted to the abuse.
    It is noteworthy, however, that a number of individuals have been unable to corroborate their "memories." Some afflicted in this way have had vivid recollections of a certain individual committing abuse or of the abuse being committed in a specific place. Later, though, legitimate evidence to the contrary made it clear that these "remembered" details could not be true.

Stay Spiritually Strong
    "The faithful and discreet slave" has published information to help handle the spiritual and emotional hurt caused by child abuse. (Matthew 24:45-47)

Where?

Experience shows that the sufferer is helped if he can rely on the 'power of the Lord and the mightiness of his strength,' putting on "the complete suit of armor from God." (Ephesians 6:10-17) This armor includes Bible "truth," which exposes Satan as the ultimate enemy and dissipates the darkness in which he and his henchmen work. (John 3:19) Then, there is "the breastplate of righteousness." The afflicted one should strive to hold to righteous standards. For example, some have strong impulses to harm themselves or to commit immorality. Every time they resist these impulses, they win a victory!
    Spiritual armor also includes "the good news of peace." Talking to others about Jehovah's purposes strengthens the one talking as well as anyone who listens. (1 Timothy 4:16) If you should be one with a "stricken spirit," making it difficult for you to talk about the good news, try to accompany another Christian as he or she does this vital work. And do not forget "the large shield of faith." Have faith that Jehovah loves you and that he will restore all that you have lost. Believe without reservation that Jesus also loves you, and he proved this by dying for you. (John 3:16) Satan has always falsely claimed that Jehovah does not care for his servants. That is just another of his gross, vicious lies.-John 8:44; compare Job 4:1, 15-18; 42:10-15.

So, going door to door fixes satan attacking you with repressed memories. Yeah right.

If pain of heart makes it difficult to believe that Jehovah is concerned about you, it will help to associate with others who firmly believe that he does have concern. (Psalm 119:107, 111; Proverbs 18:1; Hebrews 10:23-25) Refuse to allow Satan to rob you of the prize of life. Remember, "the helmet of salvation" is part of the armor; so is "the sword of the spirit." The Bible is inspired by holy spirit, which Satan cannot defeat. (2 Timothy 3:16; Hebrews 4:12) Its healing words can soothe emotional pain.-Compare Psalm 107:20; 2 Corinthians 10:4, 5.
    Finally, pray constantly for the strength to endure. (Romans 12:12; Ephesians 6:18) Heartfelt prayer sustained Jesus through intense emotional agony, and it can help you too. (Luke 22:41-43) Is it difficult for you to pray? Ask others to pray with you and for you. (Colossians 1:3; James 5:14) Holy spirit will support your prayers. (Compare Romans 8:26, 27.) As with a painful physical illness, some with deep emotional wounds may not be completely healed in this system of things. But with Jehovah's help we can endure, and endurance is victory, as it was in Jesus' case. (John 16:33) "Trust in [Jehovah] at all times, O people. Before him pour out your heart. God is a refuge for us."-Psalm 62:8.
    What of the Alleged Abuser?
    A person who actually abuses a child sexually is a rapist and should be viewed as such. Anyone victimized in this way has the right to accuse his abuser. Still, an accusation should not be made hastily if it is based solely on "repressed memories" of abuse. In this case the most important thing is for the sufferer to regain a degree of emotional stability. After the passage of some time, he may be in a better position to assess the "memories" and decide what, if anything, he wants to do about them.
    Consider the case of Donna. She reportedly had eating disorders and went to a counselor-apparently one of dubious competence. Soon she was accusing her father of incest and he was taken to court. The jury was deadlocked, so the father did not go to prison, but he was left with $100,000 in legal bills. Then, after all that, Donna told her parents that she no longer believed that the abuse happened!

Did the WT ever think that all the additional stress caused by the court case made her decide to do this?

Wisely, Solomon said: "Do not go forth to conduct a legal case hastily." (Proverbs 25:8) If there is some valid reason to suspect that the alleged perpetrator is still abusing children, a warning may have to be given. The congregation elders can help in such a case. Otherwise, take your time. Eventually, you may be content to let the matter drop. If, though, you want to confront the alleged perpetrator (after first assessing how you would feel about the possible responses), you have a right to do so.
    During the time that the one experiencing "memories" is healing, awkward situations may arise. For example, an individual may have vivid mental images of being molested by someone he or she sees every day. No rules can be laid down for handling this. "Each one will carry his own load." (Galatians 6:5) Sometimes one may feel that a relative or a member of one's immediate family is involved. Remember the dubious nature of some "repressed memories" when it comes to identifying the one suspected of being a perpetrator. In such a situation, as long as the matter has not been firmly established, keeping contact with the family-at least by occasional visits, by letter, or by telephone-would show that one is trying to follow a Scriptural course.-Compare Ephesians 6:1-3.
    What Can Elders Do?
    If the elders are approached by a member of the congregation who is experiencing flashbacks or "repressed memories" of child abuse, two of them are usually assigned to help. These elders should kindly encourage the afflicted one to focus for the time being on coping with the emotional distress. The names of any "remembered" abusers should be kept in strict confidence.
    The elders' primary task is to act as shepherds. (Isaiah 32:1, 2; 1 Peter 5:2, 3) They should be especially careful to "clothe [themselves] with the tender affections of compassion, kindness, lowliness of mind, mildness, and long-suffering." (Colossians 3:12) Let them listen in a kindly way and then apply healing words from the Scriptures. (Proverbs 12:18) Some who are afflicted with painful "memories" have expressed appreciation for elders who make regular visits or even telephone calls to check to see how they are doing. Such contacts need not take a lot of time, but they show that Jehovah's organization cares. When the afflicted one realizes that his Christian brothers truly love him, he may be helped to recover a considerable degree of emotional balance.

So Elders, put on a fake act to make it look like you care.

What if the sufferer decides that he wants to make an accusation? Then the two elders can advise him that, in line with the principle at Matthew 18:15, he should personally approach the accused about the matter. If the accuser is not emotionally able to do this face-to-face, it can be done by telephone or perhaps by writing a letter. In this way the one accused is given the opportunity to go on record before Jehovah with his answer to the accusation. He may even be able to present evidence that he could not have committed the abuse. Or perhaps the one accused will confess, and a reconciliation may be achieved. What a blessing that would be! If there is a confession, the two elders can handle matters further in accordance with Scriptural principles.
    If the accusation is denied, the elders should explain to the accuser that nothing more can be done in a judicial way. And the congregation will continue to view the one accused as an innocent person. The Bible says that there must be two or three witnesses before judicial action can be taken. (2 Corinthians 13:1; 1 Timothy 5:19) Even if more than one person "remembers" abuse by the same individual, the nature of these recalls is just too uncertain to base judicial decisions on them without other supporting evidence. This does not mean that such "memories" are viewed as false (or that they are viewed as true). But Bible principles must be followed in establishing a matter judicially.
    What if the one accused-though denying the wrongdoing-is really guilty? Does he "get away with it," as it were? Certainly not! The question of his guilt or innocence can be safely left in Jehovah's hands. "The sins of some men are publicly manifest, leading directly to judgment, but as for other men their sins also become manifest later." (1 Timothy 5:24; Romans 12:19; 14:12) The book of Proverbs says: "The expectation of the righteous ones is a rejoicing, but the very hope of the wicked ones will perish." "When a wicked man dies, his hope perishes." (Proverbs 10:28; 11:7) Ultimately, Jehovah God and Christ Jesus render everlasting judgment in justice.-1 Corinthians 4:5.
  • cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

Oh, my, I remember that series of articles! I believe our copy of the magazine ended up thrown against the wall with vigor and conviction by Chris (he was out at the time and I was still in). I remember trying desperately to find some evidence in their words that they actually CARED about the flock but feeling disappointed because it was certainly not "food at the proper time."

I'm really, really sorry that I stayed in as long as I did.

Nina

• Badger
    Badger

Your mind and trauma doesn't need professionally trained help. just the rantings of frustrated floor cleaners and mechanics.

What a crock. I count myself lucky that I remember all the crap pulled on me.

• kls
    kls

Thanks for the warning it is definitely needed. I would also like to say they are the scum of the earth . The rage this has put in me is beyond words. Damn how can we stop them.!!!!!!!!,,Will the suffering of these children ever end because of this damn cult. This one reason i have a hard time believing in any god.

• Scully
    Scully

This article, far from being compassionate and comforting to people who have suffered from horrific abuse, is nothing more than demeaning toward those it purports to help, and self-serving toward abusers that the WTS or the bodies of elders knew about back then and were trying to keep covered up.

B@$t@rd$.

• acsot
    acsot
    What if the one accused-though denying the wrongdoing-is really guilty? Does he "get away with it," as it were? Certainly not! The question of his guilt or innocence can be safely left in Jehovah's hands. "

I was still a hard-core JW at the time this article came out and I remember disagreeing (silently ) about the above statement. I think it was from that point on my eyes slowly started to open about the FDS being wrong - dead wrong - on a lot of things.

What a load of shit.

• Nancy Drake
    Nancy Drake

Now I see why my parents didn't take it too seriously when I told them about a JW woman and her son who used to molest me. I didn't tell them until years later because I was ashamed. They must have assumed it was a repressed "memory."

I would be in a murderous rage if I learned of something like that happening to my son!

I WAS over this, but I'm starting to get angry again!!!!!!!!

• wheres caleb?
    wheres caleb?

I knew a sister that suffered from repressed memories. I found her to be a very intelligent woman and wish I knew what her take was on this article.

When she was a pioneer, she was the most bitter, self-righteous person I had ever met. Her behavior was consistant with what I had seen in other JWs so I thought nothing of it. She started therapy because she wanted to know why she was so unhappy with her life despite being very dedicated to the 'truth'. She decided to discontinue her pioneering and discovered how unhappy she was doing it. Her actual claims to me were that she was doing it for all the wrong reasons and was a real self-righteous person when doing it. I was amazed to hear any JW admit that they were wrong about anything.

The therapist was a witness, so it cannot be claimed that therapy could be a danger to her 'spirituality' in this case. They discovered repressed memories of sexual abuse from her father in her youth. Bringing out these memories really helped her personally but the perception of the flock was that she was just trying to draw attention to herself.

It would be interesting to know if she is still in the organization.

• Annanias
    Annanias

This thread is interesting in the date of the article. wheres caleb's recital of the embittered pioneer sister sounds very close to me. I was abused by my father, but the memories were not repressed by any means, and it left me terminally angry. When this particular article came out, it seemed to be in response to a trend going on in the psycho world dealing with repressed memories, in that many less than scrupulous psychologists of dubious abilities were bringing criminal charges against a lot of innocent people (and fame to themselves). There was a case in the cong I was in at the time where a sister (who had had a terrible life, no doubt about that) was suddenly "remembering" all sorts of things. What these memories served to do was to give her attention and a certain amount of power. Neither of which she had ever had before in her life. As time went on, her "memories" became more and more bizarre as she tried to maintain this newly found level of attention and power. The problem is that whatever truth might have been in her original claims got lost. She ended up spending some time at the state mental hospital, and I'm not sure if she ever recovered. My heart hurt for her, because she had obviously suffered from some sort of abuse that had left her scarred, like me. But it was also very painful to see the damage she had caused to others who had been as innocent as she when her own wounds had been induced. She wasn't doing it out of malice, she was just very, very sick. I think that the WT article was trying to do too much at one time and, as usual, ended up making a hose job out of the whole thing. You have to remember, there is a whole lot of people out there who cannot, translate: refuse to, think for themselves and will do absolutely, positively, only what they think they read in the WT. Like talking to a 12 year old heading out the door, you have to say as much as you can before their brain shuts off. This includes the "elders" as well, or maybe, especially. I was engaged to a somewhat reknown psychologist after I had left and we used to have the most volatile arguments over this subject because she believed that I was suffering from horrendous repressed memories. I never seemed to make her understand that it was not the memories I couldn't recall that was barfing my mind, it was the ones that I COULD recall. If a trend like "repressed memories" were to get loose in the hollow world of the KH, where most people have already lived lives of quiet sorrow with little understanding as to why, the people would turn into Lemmings. (Oh, Jim Jones, wherefore art thou?)

It seems that a lot of the bitterness towards the borg comes from the fact that for years now they have claimed, both in writing, from the platform, and at the door, that they have the all answers to all the worlds problems. And then, when you or I go up to them, as innocent believers, and say, "I've got a problem, please fix it." , their answer, of course, is, "Oh, we can't fix that. Here, take two hours of field service and call me in the morning."

• gumby
    gumby
    The Bible provides "discernment in all things." (2 Timothy 2:7; 3:16) It also helps all concerned to put faith in Jehovah, "the Father of tender mercies and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our tribulation."-2 Corinthians 1:3, 4.

Go and ask ANYONE who was abused if god has truely comforted them and taken away their pain.

Even trained councilors cannot give true unending comfort to abused ones.....but they can teach you to cope. I haven't seen any scriptures that deal with post abuse victims that cure their problem.

Gumby

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit