The "Love Bombing" stare...

by Confucious 13 Replies latest jw experiences

• Confucious
    Confucious

Let me explain the phenomenon...

A few months ago, I went to a meeting.

I'm not DF or DA, but did the fade. And it was about a year since my last visit.

Anyway, I come into the meeting and I have long hair and I was dressed nice - but no tie.

Some of the old friends were smiled at me, and other (mostly the "spiritual" ones shunned me.)

But I'll never forget this "LOVE BOMBING STARE/smile" that this lady gave me.

She was new to the congregation or whatever. But evidently, SHE THOUGHT I was some "never studied with before 'worldly guy.'"

Anyway, I felt like a Thanksgiving Turkey.

Like she hadn't eaten for days and I could picture her thinking... "Perfect Victim for Easy Field Service Time."

It was bizarre, almost surreal - her smile.

You know, I met so many a pioneer where they are sooooo extremely nice and loving when you first meet them.

Then you come into the truth and they can't wait to beat on you.

Wierd.

• MerryMagdalene
    MerryMagdalene

There's a stare to make your skin crawl

<here come

<the

<love bombs

<innocent bystander

WATCH OUT!!!

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

The love bombing stare is sometimes accompanied by the love bombing nod.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Followed by an unasked for touch; perhaps a pat on the back, a touch to the arm.....

EEEWWWRRCH. Thanksgiving turkey. Yes. That is about the right feeling.

It is kind of fun to mess with the newbies, who start talking, then wonder if I might already be bad association, and then stumble off in confusion.

Also, the old ladies who were so friendly to start, are staring daggers in to my back. Could it be, COULD IT BE because I picked a youthful, happy, flibbertygibbet to study with?

• blondie
    blondie

My husband and I travel quite a bit in other states and countries. When we were "good" JWs we would hunt up the KH and attend a meeting from time to time.

We got the love bombing approach when they thought we were non-JWs and hot prospects for a Bible study. Then they would find out we were JWs already, and they were gone with the wind.

I will admit that occasionally one brother or sister would stay and talk, but most of them were GTTW.

Blondie

• Country Girl
    Country Girl

It's called the "Jehovah Glow"

Country Girl

• Undaunted Danny
    Undaunted Danny

Thanksgiving Turkey eh!

I reflect on how i felt like a merchandised commoditie,especially being a good looking 21 y.o single brother with a job.

Creepy,they are 'all on the take' for something aren't they? Carve The Turkey

• christopherrobin
    christopherrobin

Yup---I know the look ---after a separation w/ my wife in which neither one of us would divulge details to witnesses, They were irritated that we wouldn't BLAB to SOMEONE about details, gossip, slander, etc!!!!!!

Even though we stayed friends and never slandered the other ( the most bitter divorces I saw involved witnesses -- and slander --- to the HILT !!!! ) , I would come to meetings with a goatee, and for some reason that was equated w/ sexual immorality, materialism, apostasy, drug use, biker affiliation-------you know the story-------because we were civil and nothing was done judicially, they were nice superficially, but the innuendos and wierd glances said it all !!!

• dh
    dh

i call them 'smiling knives'

• Xandria
    Xandria

Whew.. I know that smug holier than thou glow. Gawd... at least is not a "Care Bear Stare!" lol.

X.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit