Criticisms of Pastor Russell

by RR 41 Replies latest watchtower bible

• RR
    RR

Jens in a PM reminded me of a Pastor Russell biography that was in the works some years ago. Problems after problems prevented it from going forward. In the meanwhile there have been a few Pastor Russell's biographies in the works, some by Bible Students others by outsiders.

One was completed; "Millennial Man" by a retired Catholic Priest who loved Pastor Russelland had been researching him for over 20 years. It's just a matter of time before a publisher is found. One deal fell through when the publisher chnaged hands and reorganized.

The biography in the works now it a bit more detailed and covers the Adventist movement, Watchtower movement, the Bible Students and the JW's.

It is too be a thorough book, or is suppose to be leaving nothing hidden or whitewashed. There is a section on "Criticisms of Pastor Russell" and so what I would like from you anti-Russell proponents is your suggestion or criticisms. Other then the obvious theological ones. Then I can sumbit them to the proper researchers.

Let's make a list be specific allegations against Russell. You may add to it.

1. Shady business dealings
    2. Miracle Wheat
    3. Sexless marriage
    4. divorce
    5. Adulterer/Child abuse [Rose Ball Henninges]
    6. Abusive to wife
    7. High Ranking Mason, part of the illuminati
    8. False Prophet (1914)

What else?

• willyloman
    willyloman

9. Responsible for the slow spiritual death of millions of people, for which heinous act he will be hopefully be held responsible when he meets his maker, assuming that auspicious event has yet to take place. F**king up that many lives ought to count for something.

• RR
    RR

Sorry Willy, don't confuse Russell with Rutherford. Had Rutherford not taken over, there would not be JW's in the world. And if you were raised a Bible Student, you wouldn't have 95% of the problem you claim to have.

RR

• minimus
    minimus

That is good enuf, RR!! I think much of the stuff vs. CTR is not especially proveable.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

To be honest, RR, can you really hold Russell completely FAULTLESS for the later actions of J. R. Rutherford? Rutherford didn't "beam down" after Russell's death - he was already a high ranking member of Russell's Bible Students before Russell died, and it was Russell's clumsy will and "loosey-goosey" business methods that gave Rutherford the opportunity to take over the organization.

Or did Rutherford only become an abusive alcoholic authoritarian hypocrit after the Pastor died?

• minimus
    minimus

It seems that Rutherford surprised the Bible Students by the way he quickly took over. Obviously, he must not've been viewed as a threat to the BS.

• Farkel
    Farkel

RR,

#5 is false about Russell
    #7 is false about Russell

Farkel

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

9. Even if Russell never claimed publicly to be the "faithful and discreet servant dispensing meat in due season" he allowed Bible Students to believe he was so and didn't correct them on this point. A truly humble person would not have allowed this to continue.

• RR
    RR

Nathan, Russell did indeed se Rutherford as a threat which is why he dismissed him from Bethel in 1915.

However, The Judge and others had already planned their coup. When Russell died, MacMillam wired the Judge, the wire said "The Old man is dead!" he wired back and said "don't do anything until I get there" and the rest is history!

What people fail to keep in mind is that the Watch Tower was just a publishing house, and that the Bible Students were independent of the Society. When Rutherford took over, he only took over the publishing aspect of the movement, the exodus began and other publishing houses began to be incorporated to work independent of the Society. Many congregations separated themselves, others just split.

RR

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

RR enlightened me thusly:

Nathan, Russell did indeed see Rutherford as a threat which is why he dismissed him from Bethel in 1915.

However, The Judge and others had already planned their coup. When Russell died, MacMillam wired the Judge, the wire said "The Old man is dead!" he wired back and said "don't do anything until I get there" and the rest is history!

RR, I never knew that!

You amaze me with the depth of your knowledge!

Where is that recorded? Obviously, the spawn of Joe ain't shouting THAT message from the rooftops!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit