It Really Was A Numbers Game!

by Englishman 11 Replies latest jw friends

• Englishman
    Englishman

Did you know that a decline in meeting attendances was once taken as a sign that wrongdoing had taken place in the congregation? See what you make of this:

In the early 60’s, when I was but a callow youth and still living at home with my parents, a very anxious JW mum came a-banging on our door. Desperate to speak to my PO dad, she wanted to report that her 14 year old daughter had been “Caught up in immorality” with a worldly youth, and that daughter Bella wanted to “Set herself straight with Jehovah” and confess all.

Bella duly confessed to a committee of elders, and, at the following service meeting, an announcement was made that Bella (now 15) was a fornicatrix, and as such, having expressed repentance, was now on probation. The probation was astonishing in its severity and even included that she must be in bed at 9.30 every night when there wasn’t a meeting. She was also banned from ever being alone with any male during the period of probation, as well as other stipulations about how many hours per week were to be spent studying the societies publications.

My Dad later took me to one side, and explained to me that Bella had at first lied about her dalliance and that was why he and the other elders had imposed such harsh restrictions upon her. Hmm. Then he told me how the matter had come to light.

Bella’s mother had found evidence of her daughters behaviour whilst changing the bedclothes. She’d duly accused Bella of being a “Bad girl”, and Bella had denied everything. Mum dragged her hysterical daughter to see her doctor who confirmed that she was no longer “virgin intacta” and that it would be as swell to perform a pregnancy test ASAP. Mum then told said daughter that it was now off to the PO with her, but Bella screamed and screamed that she was innocent of any wrongdoing and convinced her mother to wait a while before denouncing her to the elders.

Mum was still far from convinced, but she decided to bide her time, and instead, talk to another sister about her problem. She decided to talk with the formidable Sister Alice. But, Sister Alice was “remnant”, and as such felt that she knew a way to see whether or not young Bella had been guilty of serious misconduct that wouldn’t immediately involve the elders. Sister Alice said that she would wait and see whether the “Holy Spirit” was being “blocked” to the congregation. If the congregation prospered then all was well, but if it didn’t, then this would be clear evidence of Bella’s guilt.

Moving on a few weeks, and Memorial time came around. This was a fairly recently formed congregation, and as such meeting attendances were in the 50’s, but there had been 117 at the first years memorial, so this year the congregation hired a large hotel room in the centre of town. The anticipated attendance was 150. The actual attendance was 112. Alice’s suspicions were confirmed, Bella’s misconduct was blocking Jehovah’s spirit from the congregation, hence the low attendance.

The following day, Sister Alice confronted Bella whilst accompanied by Mother. Bella lied through her teeth for as long as possible, but the determined duo eventually extracted a confession, which bring us back to the start of my story. Well, not quite.

In ’63, there was an assembly held at Twickenham rugby ground in London. Brother Knorr was giving the public talk and a vast crowd was expected, certainly in excess of the 51,000 who had turned up in the previous year when Fred Franz did the honours. You’ve guessed it, there was drop in attendance to 48,000, and, once more, Sister Alice declared that the spirit in the UK was being blocked by wrongdoing.

Oddly enough, she was on to something. The ’63 assembly had , for the first time, provided huge marquee tents in the assembly grounds for the brothers to sleep in. Shortly afterwards, the grapevine was abuzz with rumours of dozens of confessions to immorality taking place within these tents. This was later confirmed as a fact.

The spin-off to all this was that some witnesses took the meeting numbers to be a sign of approval from God, and were happy to continue in “loose conduct,” convinced that they need only desist when Jehovah showed his disapproval by reducing the meeting attendances. Until that happened, everything was just fine.

I could have gone into business with Rentacrowd!

Englishman.

..... fanaticism masquerading beneath a cloak of reasoned logic.

• Roamingfeline
    Roamingfeline

Good post, Englishman. It seems to have gotten lost in the crowd, here.

I remember the same. We were told that same sorry excuse for lack of meeting attenders and field service hours several years ago. Shortly after that, we had a big turnover in elders. Some were removed and others brought in from surrounding areas to "build the congregation back up". Basically, our elders had gotten a big head, and were "beating the flock" until morale improved.

Seems Jah's spirit must be lacking today, also, hmmmmm? lol Maybe that's why the witch hunts are beginning again!

This religions SUCKS.

RCat

• Farkel
    Farkel

Isn't it hilariously ironic that dubs vehemently deny they are superstitious?

Farkel

• Roamingfeline
    Roamingfeline

Exactly, Farkel. In fact, they are some of the most superstitious people I know!

RCat

• Princess
    Princess

I remember being out in service right after someone had been df'd and a sister said "Jehovah always cleans house before memorial". It seemed to be fairly true, I wonder if they went on a witch hunt when the time was drawing near.

Princess

• noidea
    noidea

Englishman,

OMG!

They still feel that way.
    I wonder if the meeting attendance at our hall is slack because I have been lurking, and have started to post.
    It all comes to light.
    Do you think I should confess now or wait until it is close to the next memorial?
    I'm truly serious they still feel that way.

• Moxy
    Moxy

maybe a lot of people remember the drama where this was really reinforced. the elders were commenting on the lack of growth in the hall, something was wrong and they just couldnt put their finger on it. it was like they didnt have jehovahs blessing. then cut to a scene where we learn that 'Danny Rebellious' a youth in the same cong is secretly pilfering the contributions from the box... once this matter is taken care of, things return to normal. something like that anyways.

i believe the precedent used is achan. didnt the israelites suffer a defeat because he was taking stuff devoted to destruction. they couldnt figure out why they lost jehovahs blessing and they take lots to determine whodunnit.

one elder i knew a while ago just seemed to love this theory. this was in a sub-urban commuter congregation without much growth or zeal. he would always mention that there must be some serious wrongdoing in the cong that hadnt come to light yet. other than a few individuals like him, i dont think the society makes much of this theory today.

mox

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

G'day all,

Nice post, Englishman. Poor Bella! What must this experience have done to her? I have seen such matters handled much better but it wasn't in the Dubs, it was at a church! Oh horrors!

With respect to the Spirit being withdrawn from congregations and numbers declining, I wonder: what's the position then when congregations are CLOSED?

They must have been having a really decadent time, eh?

Cheers,
    Ozzie

"Truth persuades by teaching, but does not teach by persuading."
    TERTULLIAN, Adversus Valentinianos

• Latte
    Latte

Poor Bella!

To have it announced, after being repentant........that is so OTT.

Such a young girl to have to deal with such an extreme reaction. Hope that she found her way OUT of it.

Thanks for sharing that with us Englishnman.

Latte

• Englishman
    Englishman

There is an interesting follow up to Bella's story. When she came off probation at age 16, a number of single dub males took a shine to her, but Bella wasn't having any, as she said to me, how could she take a man seriously when he had a row of 6 ballpoint pens in his top pocket?

Bella eventually got involved with a married brother in the same congregation, and once again felt the wrath of a vengeful DF'ing committee. She was out for a minimum of 3 years, and eventually decided that JW life was not for her.

When she was 21 she emigrated to Australia and married an Ozzie fella. The last I heard was that her Mum was sure that she would return to the "truth", after all, she had a pic of Bella's wedding and wasn't Bella carrying a little white Bible alongside her bouquet?

How very sad that all Bella's mum was concerned with was whether or not she would return to the JW's.

Englishman.

..... fanaticism masquerading beneath a cloak of reasoned logic.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit