WT Now actively encouraging Education Awake Oct 8th

by stillajwexelder 24 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• jschwehm
    jschwehm

Hi Scully:

When I was in graduate school at the University of Arkansas the JWs were regular visitors at the Student Union. They would have a table set up with lots of literature. They even had some pretty nice computer software with pictures from the Creation book on it. I would ask them questions that they could not answer. The last time I spoke with them they told me that my questions were a waste of their time.

Jeff S.

• BONEZZ
    BONEZZ

I agree that the borg has had to at least give the appearance of hiding their distaste for higher education, but, as most everyone here has already pointed out, it's not for real...it is only a facade. To prove it, just go to your body of elders and ask them to sit down with you and go over your career options and maybe help you with your class schedule...HAHAHAHAHAHAHA..gag.

A lot of us here grew up with this Bullshit....

*** Aw,5/22/69,pg15, If you are a young person, you also need to face the fact that you will never grow old in this present system of things. .....all evidence in fulfillment of Bible prophecy indicates that this corrupt system is due to end in a few years. ....as a young person you will never fulfill any career that this system offers. If you are in high school and thinking about a college education, it means at least four, perhaps even six or eight more years to graduate into a specialized career. But where will this system of things be by that time? It will be well on the way toward its finish, if not actually gone! (Thanks to Shaun's Research website)

-BONEZZ

• czarofmischief
    czarofmischief

Well. At least the new generation can go to school. That's something.

CZAR

• Panda
    Panda

Brooklyn (or is it really Patterson?) Sees the bottom line...and they need the bucks to keep on. All of these new students will be getting student loans to support themselves and maybe make a contribution. Heck the WTS will probably set up some advice line for how to fill out the forms.

• IT Support
    IT Support
    but to me this is part of an ongoing trend that started a few years ago with the WTBTS not condemning education

While they perhaps don't now openly condemn higher education, they don't encourage it either, a nd I suspect they are possibly even working their way round to condemning it again...

E.g. the leaflet Youths--What Will You Do With Your Life? was released at the 2002 district conventions:

But just how do you get the "best" out of life? The media and your peers, perhaps even your teachers, may say that it comes by earning a lot of money and enjoying some prestigious career--being a success!... The Bible, however, warns young people that pursuing material success is nothing more than "a striving after the wind." (Ecclesiastes 4:4)

It then goes on to promote 'opportunities to serve God full-time,' by pioneering, missionary service, MTS, Bethel and international service...

Regards,

Ken

• czarofmischief
    czarofmischief

serving the WT full-time is the biggest waste...

CZAR

• iiz2cool
    iiz2cool

The society supposedly softened it position on education a few years ago, but that didn't prevent local elders from harassing me and eventually deleting me from being account servant because I was taking some part-time courses on Saturday afternoons.

Most of the elders I knew, with a few exceptions, were very stupid men. Very opinionated as well. The ones who were intelligent were not the ones with the real power in the congregations. The LAST thing they want around them is someone who has the ability to think and reason.

Walter

• the mole
    the mole

how sad thay my generation suffered and many df'd because of wanting to go to college..when i grad in 1983 it was a horrible thing to go to college.. i remember talks given that told us to drop out of high school to preach..when i decided to go a jr. college and get voc skills the elders in my hall in north sacramento said to me and my parents that i was rebelling against gods word..when they found out i was taking karate classes they said i was practicing an evil religion...when i grad for CSUS they removed me from my privilages in 1992...now its ok? how disturbing this org is..

• the mole
    the mole

hey..the org probably got tired of congregations full of lawn care workers and grocery baggers at the age of forty running the kingdom hall...

• kwintestal
    kwintestal

and mole, don't forget those in "the cleaning business"!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit