Do you open the mail, even if it's not addressed to you?

by Maverick 17 Replies latest jw friends

• Maverick
    Maverick

When I was married my wife would open all the mail, even personal letters sent to me or our daughter. I hated it! If the letters where from old friends of the female persuasion she would give them to me later, opened and often mangled, in the evening and want an explaination. At times I wonder what letters that where delivered I never received.

I was taught that only the person to whom the letter was addressed should open it unless that person gave another permission. I gave my daughter such when I am out of town, but she always asks first.

Now my question, How do you feel about opening the mail? Maverick

• Country Girl
    Country Girl

I used to be really strict about that when I was younger. I would get fuming mad if my first husband would open my mail. Now, I could care less. I usually open the mail, even if addressed to husband, and then throw it on the counter. He opens the mail if he gets it first. It's not really that big an issue in our house at this point.

Country Girl

• qwerty
    qwerty

Just this morning my wife had an important looking letter and I had junk mail or bills.

I was hitching to open it, as always I asked and she said no!

We always make a point of asking each other, rules of the house.

Worked well when I first started to order "Apostate" literature.

Qwerty

• Scully
    Scully

It depends. There have been times when my mail has been opened without my permission. I advised Mr Scully that he would pay whatever bills of mine he opened and send money to any relatives that might ask for cash in a letter addressed to me, and that pretty much stopped that behaviour.

We rarely get important mail, so it's not a big issue. But I do respect my childrens' letters - responses to college applications, driver's licences and such - I figure they deserve the excitement of opening those letters and being the first to read them.

Love, Scully

• blondie
    blondie
    There have been times when my mail has been opened without my permission. I advised Mr Scully that he would pay whatever bills of mine he opened and send money to any relatives that might ask for cash in a letter addressed to me, and that pretty much stopped that behaviour.

Great one, Scully!

He brings it in; I open it. If he has something that is personal, BD card, etc., I do not open, just give to him. If he has lady friends writing him, they aren't coming here. I'd mangle him,not the letters.

I do get nastygrams from my JW relatives, especially mother, he opens though to make sure there is no money in there, haha, then he shreds it. Sometimes he tells me, most times not.

Blondie

• Mulan
    Mulan

We have a deal.....................I open mail addressed to me, and he opens mail addressed to him.

Doesn't count with bills. They are all addressed to him and they end up on my desk, because I pay the bills, and he never opens them.

• Englishman
    Englishman

We've given each other the OK to open bills and bank statements if we want to. Otherwise, we'd never open anything personal, not even a greetings card.

Englishman.

• Xena
    Xena

When I was married we would open bills or credit card apps...stuff like that, but anything that looked personal was opened by the person it was addressed to unless permission was given to open it.

I don't open things addressed to my daughter.

• simplesally
    simplesally

For me, I open all the bills and pay them. I sure wish Teryn would open them and pay them! She gets mail of her own from my mom or dad, sometimes boxes, so Ilet her open them. She goes to the mail box with me and always asks, "Where's my mail, Mommy?" She loves getting a surprise in the mail, even if its just stickers.

• StinkyPantz
    StinkyPantz

If it is a bill, either of us opens it; if it looks personal, the person it's addressed to opens it only.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit