Blogging Geeks: Seeking Input

by alias 11 Replies latest social entertainment

• alias
    alias

I want to set up a simple blog on a Web site with its own domain. Any recommendations for the best open source "system" out there? I noticed there's a few, but thought I'd tap into the collective voice of experience before proceeding.

I will most likely be using PHP.

Thank you kindly,

alias

• dh
    dh

phpbb is very easy to set up and customize.

• FMZ
    FMZ

Hmm, I wasn't aware that phpBB includes a blogging capability...

To be really honest, creating your own blog software can be very easy, and will teach you the basics of PHP and MySQL enough to know how to play around with it. If you are already into HTML coding, then it will probably take you a few hours to create (with a little help from www.sitepoint.com ) and then a few more hours to perfect :).

Sitepoint has a few free tutorials on the basics of PHP and MySQL, which is just enough for you to be able to make a nice simple blog.

FMZ

• dh
    dh
    Hmm, I wasn't aware that phpBB includes a blogging capability...

maybe i misunderstood what blogging is, i thought it was just some sort of of board like phpbb, you maybe well be right, phpbb is just a regular forum.

• FMZ
    FMZ

Aye mate, blogging is sort of a diary (shortened from web-log). Just where you write a little about what happened in your day etc. It's a nice any easy little project to learn PHP as you only need to work with two fields, text and date.

FMZ

• alias
    alias

FMZ,

Cool! I knew someone would come through with what I was looking for. I'm familiar with the workings of asp/sql programming, but have yet to learn the open source path. Thanks for the link and info, I'll be spending some time there.

dh,

Thanks too, and I think FMZ is correct. Say, you're not a *real* geek if you don't know what blogging is! <grin>

What happened to your puppet/hamburger head picture?

alias

• FMZ
    FMZ

lol DH.. although I was correct, I think you came out on top in this one... I just incriminated myself as a real geek... oops!

Alias, I'll PM you my email addy just in case you have any further questions.

FMZ

• Undaunted Danny
    Undaunted Danny

I do a lot of browsing and shopping on the WWW. This is a best bargain for political candidates,students anyone looking for a "website" blog starter. Attractive and allows full hyperlinking and images.A special find for a cheapo blog. DANNY'S NEW BLOGSITE- JOIN IN! < Click for Sample. User-friendly,foolproof easy to edit/update only $25.00 year fee.

• Lostreality
    Lostreality

a GREAT I mean GREAT CGI blogger is

Greymatter

by noah something, lol, i dont remember his last name, but all bets are on it being grey.

its an amazing tool, a little slower than PHP, but much more novice friendly

• alias
    alias

FMZ,

Thanks a bunch!

Danny & Lostreality,

Your input is also helpful and appreciated.

alias

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit