does god bless people?...does he punish people?

by doogie 10 Replies latest jw friends

• doogie
    doogie

i've had many a conversation with my girlfriend on this. my thinking is, if god actively chooses to bless certain individuals, couldn't his withholding of blessings from others be considered a form of punishment?

Religions in general are quick to say that on a daily basis god blesses his followers (people pray for it continuously) but rarely do i hear that the god they worship actively/daily punishes people. i say it's impossible to have one without the other.

• Scully
    Scully

If there is a god, I honestly think he doesn't give a crap.

• doogie
    doogie

yeah, i should add that i personally believe that god (if he/she/it even exists) has no play in humans daily lives.

but some people swear by god's helpful hand.

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

If god has a helping hand, he can wipe my ass.

• doogie
    doogie
    If god has a helping hand, he can wipe my ass.

haha! and he can hold my beer.

• Gopher
    Gopher

Our ex-governor, Jesse Ventura, got in political trouble by saying "religion is for the weak-minded".

I don't wholeheartedly agree with that. However, if a person feels they must look to an invisible being for approval or disapproval of their course, they haven't developed a very good sense of right/wrong.

Further, when a person claims they're blessed by God because of certain things they believe or do, I think it's wishful thinking.

The reward for doing and thinking good things should be a good outcome in our life, and/or a good feeling from helping others.

There is no direct evidence that the Creator actually helps people. It seems highly unlikely to me that he could carefully consider every minor concern of billions of humans all at once.

We're made to take care of ourselves (once we reach the age of accountability). How well or poorly we do at that carries its own rewards or punishments.

• Carmel
    Carmel

All the US presidents in my life time always said "God bless America" at the conclusion of thier speaches, so it must be true!

carmel

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Doogie:
    You want Him to hold your beer after wiping Nos' ass?
    Ewwwww
    LOL

• doogie
    doogie
    You want Him to hold your beer after wiping Nos' ass?

god's gotta have like a million hands, right? he probably has a special hand that he only uses for butt wiping.

• StinkyPantz

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit