I lost my job at Microsoft today...thanks to a wonderful economy...

by dolphman 47 Replies latest jw friends

• dolphman
    dolphman

For the last few years, many of my friends have lost their jobs and have NOT found suitable replacements. Most are on unemployment, and those whose unemployment has run out are simply eeking out some meager existence doing something they don't like, that doesn't pay well, and doesn't help to really reduce the stress they face every day.

Well, to be honest, I used to LAUGH MY ASS OFF at them. HA HA HA I would say. I work at MICROSOFT. NOBODY has ever been layed off from here. We're the number 1 software company in the world. Nobody can touch us here. Everyday this belief would be reinforced by profit and revenue reports. Granted, stock hasn't gone up in a while, and we were feeling something of a squeeze, but nothing major. We still have free soda and free trips to the movies. Usually, a group just re-orgs into another group more suitable for changing technological needs.

Well, the unthinkable happened. My whole org simply got eliminated. Everybody with my job description got cut, not to mention a bunch of other people.

I once told myself that if this ever happened, I would have undeniable proof that the economy sucks. Well folks, the economy SUCKS, despite what Sean Hannity likes to tell you.

These 1 million new jobs Bush has created will not replace the wonderful benefits, work/life balance, and sheer salary (57,000 a year) that I used to make. They simply won't cut it.

I just recently decided to not vote for Bush, and this only reinforces the fact that I made the right decision and am actually living in reality. Don't be fooled by the republicans saying the economy is going good. Most of the people I worked with are Bush supporters. They voted for him in 2000 because they believed him to be a friend of big business (ie Microsoft). Well, from the looks on their faces, especially the ones locked in their offices crying, I can tell you who they're voting for now.

Thanks Bush...

Dolphman

• Mulan
    Mulan

That's a shame dolphman. I am pretty surprised that happened here.

Maybe all the new jobs are in India.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

I'm with you on this! The last four years have been BRUTAL in the field of development. I have recently gotten VERY lucky in that I may get a perm job soon.

Just a few months ago I met a guy doing sales work for a home builder who used to be a developer.

Last I heard the US has over a MILLION jobs less than when Bush took office. That speaks volumes to me.

• kls
    kls

Geeze that is hard to take and i hear so much of it . Hope you find something else soon.

• Simon
    Simon

Y'know the CEOs getting the biggest pay hikes are those offshoring most people?

No one is immune when it comes to 'globalisation' and often western employees are at a disadvantage because of the cheaper foreign labour, fewer employment legislations etc...

• Poztate
    Poztate
    No one is immune when it comes to 'globalisation' and often western employees are at a disadvantage because of the cheaper foreign labour, fewer employment legislations etc...

Oh No,

Does this mean you might be moving to India instead of Canada ???

Poz.

• RR
    RR
    Well, the unthinkable happened. My whole org simply got eliminated. Everybody with my job description got cut, not to mention a bunch of other people.

Aah, so they finally got rid of the paper shredders eh? too bad!

RR

• Aaac
    Aaac

So why do you go to Wal-Mart and buy all those sweatshop Chinese goods? Buy domestic - pay a bit more - but save jobs.

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

Sorry to hear that. But I hear what you're saying. I don't care what anyone says, or stats shown, the economy is not getting better. I kinda feel we're teetering on something pretty bad. Hope I'm wrong.

• seattleniceguy
    seattleniceguy

Hey Dolphman -

Really sorry to hear that. Maybe you can apply into another group? I've heard they plan to add 3000 full time positions in Puget Sound over the next year.

SNG

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit