Cyrus: Yahweh's anointed pagan and conquering ruler

by M.J. 16 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• M.J.
    M.J.

I wonder about the WTS's strict view of all worldly governments as ultimately under Satan's rulership. In practice JWs are led to take on an uncomprimising attitude of resentment and hostility toward "satanic" world governments, not mere neutrality, as they claim. I wonder about this in light of Romans 13, where world governments are said to be appointed by God, a "minister of God to you for good." (13:4) (perhaps this is the reason for the the constant WTS flip-flops on their interpretation of this passage?) I also wonder about 1 Timothy 2:1-2, where it says that supplications, prayers, intercessions, thanksgivings are to be made for kings and all who are in authority, that we may lead a quiet and peaceful life...I wonder how many JWs take this to heart and say a little prayer for George W. every once in a while? But most of all, I wonder about the Bible's reverence for King Cyrus. In Isaiah 45:1 Cyrus, a pagan king of the Medo-Persians, is called ?anointed.? Cyrus was indeed a ruler well ahead of his time in the areas of tolerance, justice and mercy, in stark contrast to what was practiced in the preceding Assyrian and Babylonian empires. But he was definitely a conqueror, establishing his relatively just rulership through the strength of his army, using his military might to conquer and subdue nations. And according to scripture, Yahweh even took his right hand to help him accomplish this. (Is 45:1)

One might make the argument that Cyrus was temporarily God's "puppet" to accomplish His purpose for the people of Israel, and to this extent alone he was acting according to God's will. But does this explain away all the words of Biblical praise and blessing for Cyrus the ruler? Compare the Biblical treatment of Pharaoh in Exodus, or to Nebuchadnezzar, or to other tyrranical rulers that were used by God according to His will. Cyrus got the praise for being a just and all-around good secular ruler for the times, showing religious tolerance toward the Jews and allowing them to return home to rebuild their temple.

Fast forward to modern times. There are numerous countries that display religious tolerance to "God's people", practicing a level of justice and fairness unheard of in ancient times. In fact, the WTBTS can probably owe its existance to the protection of religious freedom outlined in the US Constitution. And its purported establishment as the FDS is actually owed to the inherent fairness of the US legal system, when it supposedly "exonerated" the WTBTS leaders in 1919. Yet the WTBTS, in the fashion established by an angst-filled Judge Rutherford, is unwavering in its condemnation of anything having to do with governments and rulers.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Compare also Ezra 1:2 and 2 Chronicles 36:23 in which Cyrus "king of Persia" declares: "Yahweh, the God of heaven, has given me all the kingdoms of the earth; he has ordered me to build him a Temple in Jerusalem, in Judah". In Isaiah 44:28 Yahweh describes him as "my shepherd, he will fulfill my whole purpose". What is also interesting is that Acts 13:2 mixes a quote from Isaiah 44:28 with Psalm 89:20 ("I have selected my servant David and anointed him with my holy oil"), applying both to David: "I have selected David son of Jesse, a man after my own heart, who will carry out my whole purpose". This suggests that the author of Acts thought of Cyrus in a similar manner to King David.

Finally, Daniel 9:25 refers to Cyrus or Daniel's ficitonal Darius the Mede as "an anointed Prince" who comes 49 years after Jeremiah (cf. Daniel 9:2) gave the "word" to rebuild Jerusalem (cf. Jeremiah 31:38-32:2).

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

It is actually possible that Cyrus said those words. The Persian ruler was a brilliant governor, who sought to pacify the region thru religious reformation. He seems to have had a program of remodling the native deities of the conquered into the image of Ahurah Mazda the peaceful and moral Zoroastrian God. It seems the name was not important, the theology was. This was an ambitious project that met limited success. The Cyrus Cylinder is a bit of Persian political propaganda that demonstrates this technique. There Cyrus claims that their troubles were due to wayward kingship who neglected Marduke one of the Baylonian gods. He then prodeeded to claim Marduke was directing his conquest. He insisted Marduke be given exclusive worship and honored with temples. Marduke from then on took on a dominant role he had not had previously. Similarly Yahweh was seen by Cyrus as a useful deity to recast in Mazda's image. There was already a sect in Judah that had unsuccessfully attempted to elevate Yahweh above the other gods. The reformer Nehemiah that returned to Judah was a Zoroastrian member of Cyrus's court entrusted with this project. Ezra likewise has a Zoroastrian theology simply replacing the name of the local deity Yahweh. The defete of Judah was attributed to the neglect of Yahweh and wayward kingship. Yahwehist priests like first Isaiah became hailed as true prophets for having warned that Yahweh was angry. From then on Yahweh slowly became the God par excellance in Judah.

Here's a transalation of the Cylinder:

A weakling was installed as the king of his country; the correct images of the gods were removed from their thrones, imitations were ordered to place upon them. A replica of the temple Esagila he had [lacuna]. For Ur and the other sacred cities inappropriate rituals [were ordered?]. Daily he did blabber incorrect prayers. He furthermore interrupted in a fiendish way the regular offerings, he did [lacuna] established within the sacred cities. The worship of Marduk, the king of the gods, he changed into abomination, daily he used to do evil against Marduk's city [lacuna]. He tormented its inhabitants with corvée-work without relief, he ruined all. Upon their complaints the lord of the gods became terribly angry and he departed from their region, also the other gods living among them left their mansions, wroth that he had brought then into Babylon. But Marduk who does care for [his people?] on account of the fact that the sanctuaries of all their settlements were in ruins and the inhabitants of Sumer and Akkad had become like living dead, turned back his countenance. His anger abated and he had mercy upon them.
    Marduk scanned and looked through all the countries, searching for a righteous ruler willing to lead Marduk in the annual procession. Then he pronounced the name of Cyrus, king of An?an, declared to become the ruler of all the world. He made the Guti country and all the Manda-hordes [i.e., the Medes] bow in submission to Cyrus' feet. And Cyrus did always endeavor to treat according to justice the people whom Marduk has made him conquer. Marduk, the great lord, a protector if his people, beheld with pleasure Cyrus' good deeds and his upright mind and therefore ordered him to march against his city Babylon.
    He made him set out on the road to Babylon going at his side like a real friend. Cyrus' widespread troops -their number, like that of the water of a river, could not be established- strolled along, their weapons packed away. Without any battle, he made him enter his own town Babylon, sparing Babylon any calamity. He delivered into Cyrus' hands Nabonidus, the king who did not worship him. All the inhabitants of Babylon as well as of the entire country of Sumer and Akkad, princes and governors included, bowed to Cyrus and kissed his feet, jubilant that he had received the kingship, and with shining faces. Happily they greeted him as a master through whose help they had come again to life from death and had all been spared damage and disaster, and they worshipped his very name.
    I am Cyrus, king of the world, great king, legitimate king, king of Babylon, king of Sumer and Akkad, king of the four rims of the earth, son of Cambyses, great king, king of An?an, grandson of Cyrus, great king, king of An?an, descendant of Teispes, great king, king of An?an, of a family which always exercised kingship, whose rule [the gods] Bêl and Nabû love, whom they want as king to please their hearts.

When I entered Babylon as a friend and when I established the seat of the government in the palace of the ruler under jubilation and rejoicing, Marduk, the great lord, induced the magnanimous inhabitants of Babylon to love me, and I was daily endeavoring to worship him. My numerous troops walked around in Babylon in peace, I did not allow anybody to terrorize any place of the country of Sumer and Akkad. I strove for peace in Babylon and in all his other sacred cities. As to the inhabitants of Babylon who against the will of the gods were [enslaved?], I abolished the corvée which was against their social standing. I brought relief to their dilapidated housing, putting thus an end to their main complaints. Marduk, the great lord, was well pleased with my deeds and sent friendly blessings to myself, Cyrus, the king who worships him, to Cambyses, my son, the offspring of my loins, as well as to all my troops, and we all praised his great godhead joyously, standing before him in peace.

All the kings of the entire world from the Upper to the Lower Sea [i.e., from the Mediterranean Sea to the Persian Gulf], those who are seated in throne rooms, those who live in other types of buildings as well as all the kings of the West land living in tents, brought their heavy tributes and kissed my feet in Babylon. As to the region from [lacuna] as far as A??ur and Susa, Agade, Eshnunna, the towns of Zamban, Me-Turnu, Der as well as the region of the Gutians, I returned to these sanctuaries on the other side of the Tigris, the sanctuaries of which had been ruins for a long time, the images which used to live therein and established for them permanent sanctuaries. I also gathered all their former inhabitants and returned to them their habitations. Furthermore, I resettled upon the command of Marduk, the great lord, all the gods of Sumer and Akkad whom Nabonidus had brought into Babylon to the anger of the lord of the gods, unharmed, in their former chapels, the places which make them happy.
    May all the gods whom I have resettled in their sacred cities ask daily Bêl and Nabû for a long life for me and may they recommend me to him; to Marduk, my lord, they may say this: 'Cyrus, the king who worships you, and Cambyses, his son [lacuna].' All gods I settled in a peaceful place, I sacrificed ducks and doves, I endeavored to repair their dwelling places...
    [six lines missing]
  • Narkissos
    Narkissos

Or: both the "Cyrus cylinder" and the biblical "Cyrus decree" are two alternative priestly counterfeits of a (real or fictitious) Persian document -- one by Marduk's priesthood in Babylon, the second by Yahweh's priesthood in Jerusalem -- in order to interpret the course of events, i.e. the apparent defeat of Yahweh and Marduk and their restoration under Persian rule. The Judean version may well derive from the Babylonian though.

Another question: in what I've read (some time ago) there was no compelling evidence that Cyrus was ever a Zoroastrian, as the first obvious mentions of Ahura-Mazda in royal iconography date back to Darius, and the worship of Mithra (not Ahura-Mazda) seems to have been predominant throughout the Achemenides period. Have you got some "new light" on this?

• Voyager
    Voyager

M.J.

Thank you M.J. for reminding me of that information. It seems that you can read something a hundred times and still learn something new if you go back and read it again, and look a little closer. Sometimes I feel like there is so much (I don't know), that I need to start all over learning again. I guess I am just getting old.

Voyager

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

Cyrus's Human Rights Charter: "Cyrus king of kings, king of Achaemenids, King of Persia, Emperor of Persian Empire, Shahanshah of Pars, head of Achaemenid Dynasty, Starter of Persian Empire, Cyrus The Great" ... and Cyrus took over Babylon and added it to The Persian Empire which was extended East to West, from the Chinese border at East Asia to Greece and Macedonia in Europe, and North to South from North of Caspian Sea (central Russia) to central Napata (Libya) in North Africa. ....... Cyrus, King of Kings, King of Persia, King of Babylon, King of Sumer and Akad, King of Ilam and Anshan, King of ......., King of all nations of the four quarters, have dictated a new world order, for the man to be free, for the man to live as he pleases and be protected by The Law, all men to have rights, all men to have dignity, all men to freely choose their religion, respect to all's religion, respect to all's tradition, respect to all's property, respect to all's humanity...... ...... by the will of Ahura Mazda, all Satrap (Governors), subordinates and subjects of the Empire, nations of the four quarters, shall respect the traditions, celebrations and various gods and religions of The Persian Empire. We shall not rule by force and oppress no nation. Each is free to accept or reject, we shall bestow internal autonomy to all Khashtara (states) and not to oppress any region in to submission ...... may Ahura Mazda aid and guide us ......

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

PP, to what document do the mentions of Ahura Mazda really belong? The Cylinder is often referred to as the "Charter of Human Rights", yet it lacks any such mention. See the transliteration and translation on http://www.kchanson.com/ANCDOCS/meso/cyrus.html

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

Got me. I was wondering the same thing. Thats why I edited out the mention of the C. cylinder in the last comment. It does seem to be a real document but I have no idea what it is.

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

Narkissos...I found dozens of assertions that Cyrus was zoroastrian on the web, many of them modern zoroastrian sites, but little evidence. Herodotus apparently placed Magi in Cyrus's court in some legend, which is something. Professor Mary Boyce says in her work, A History of Zoroastrianism, "Of all ancient Persian leaders Cyrus's manners were the most compatible with his Zoroastrian beliefs". Her position appears to be based upon deduction more than physical evidence.

By the way the quotes I posted above that mentioned Ahura Mazda appear to be bogus. Sorry, I was hornswoggled.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

My word of caution regarding Cyrus' hypothetical zoroastrianism is from an article by Lipinski in a French Bible dictionary. He essentially builds on the dominant position of Mithra as a theophoric element in personal names at this time period. Of course this is usually explained away by the advocates of a very old zoroastrianism (Mary Boyce being perhaps the most famous of them) as a late reintroduction of old deities into a zoroastrian setting. However, the material evidence does not seem to date back earlier than Darius' time (from which your quotation seems to be, as I gathered from several zoroastrian sites which unfortunately are not very good at referencing their sources).

Hopefully Leolaia has got something fresh on the subject...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit