Interview with Mark Palo: molested by GB member

by Dogpatch 27 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• Dogpatch
    Dogpatch

Yes, and time will bring forth many more abuse survivors and give them the courage to speak out, just like Mark Palo.

Randy Watters

Net Soup!

http://www.freeminds.org

• Dogpatch
    Dogpatch

Mark reponds to your questions:

I don't fully understand why the length of my disease of alcoholism is so important but I started drinking at 16 and quit 11 years ago. I am 54 . As to how I got sober , again I don't understand the importance. But it was a combination of SMART recovery, a therapist and Behavioral therapy. As for latent memories I think some people misunderstand. I remembered the whole thing I just didn't know the name of the man for the longest time. I never told my parents or anyone for that matter because I believed it was my sin or fault. As for recognizing Leo it was late last year when I saw the photos and was directed to the web site that dealt with him, Chitty, and Chapman. It was instant recognition when I saw his face. I am still in therapy for my PTSD, anxiety and panic, and my horrific nightmares. Marco

• Dogpatch
    Dogpatch

Mark writes again in response:

I just read some more of the questions. At the time I told the elders and all I was ready to leave. The elders where trying to get dirt to DF me so I DAed myself. This was over 14 yrs ago. The reason I had finally said something was that it all came to a boiling point between me, my ex and the cong. I DID NOT name Greenlees at the time since I had no idea of his name. As I mentioned before it wasn't until later that I found his identity. As for college I have been going for 4 years, am Phi Theta Kappa and intend to go for my Masters degree in psycho/sociology. I think my point should be that I am a survivor and that others who have gone through what I have can do it too. If people want horror stories about my marriage and the cong I attended I'll gladly tell them so they can see that it was a combination of the molestations and life as a JW. Marco

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

I can appreciate that Mark finds it unpleasant to recall some of the difficultitiies he has lived through.

I asked some questions in an attempt to get a bit more of a 3-D view of the person making these claims.

I am inclined to believe those claims, because I have been a member of the XJW community for about a quarter century now, and I've heard much. I do not underestimate the depths of the wickedness concealed behind the Watchtower curtain.

People encountering this information for the first time are probably not going to be easily convinced as I; certainly not by a brief telephone interview. They'll want to know "who is this guy who is making this claim?" "While his parents were working at Bethel on translating Finnish communications, was he, a ten year old boy, simply permitted to wander the halls of bethel?" "How did he happen to fall into Greenlees' grasp?"

Think back to the life stories that you've read in the AWAKE! through the years. That's what I think would have an impact.

Here you have Mr. & Mrs. Palo, and their little boy Mark. Brother and Sister Palo have been strong in the truth for scores of years, and each has done much to advance "Kingdom interests". They meet, fall in love, and begin a family somewhat later than average because they gave their youth to Jehovah. Their beloved son Mark is included with them in all their theocratic activity, accompanying them on their frequent visits to Bethel, where they assisted as translators. One day during just such a working visit to Bethel, their years of faithful service was betrayed: something hideous happened to their son, something that would rob him of his innocence and self respect for more than 40 years, and this hideous abuse was at the hands of a member of the Governing Body of Jehovah's Witnesses, a man as far up the hierarchy as any man can get, a man who claimed to be a "Brother of Christ," Leo Greenlees...

Perhaps you can't believe it right now, but I'm trying to help.

• waiting
    waiting

First of all.........thank you, Mark Palo, for speaking out. And for Kent & Randy's bringing this information to the web.

And thanks to Nathan Natas (that's satan spelled backwards, btw - a long-standing joke) for asking some difficult - but necessary imho - questions. There was no challenge put forth.....but an honest request for information, and explanations for asking personal questions.

It just makes sense to know a a little pertinent information on both sides. We know how jw's will respond.....we were jw's. But the people of the world respond the same.....no one wants to believe that someone they know (admire/like/love/work with) is a child molester. It's hard for our brain to accept because the person seems so damned normal! So, therefore, the victim/survivor is under suspect - even if it's an enfant. I'm a victim/survivor, and it is part of the process.

To be honest - I had the same questions. Thanks to Mark (hope it's ok with him for me to call him that) for answering. Anyone going after a masters in psych/soc should understand. Congratulations to Mark for succeeding so brilliantly. It's one thing to survive.....it's another to succeed.

As for Greenless? Perhaps now more of his victims will think of speaking out.

waiting

• waiting
    waiting
    Here you have Mr. & Mrs. Palo, and their little boy Mark. Brother and Sister Palo have been strong in the truth for scores of years, and each has done much to advance "Kingdom interests". They meet, fall in love, and begin a family somewhat later than average because they gave their youth to Jehovah. Their beloved son Mark is included with them in all their theocratic activity, accompanying them on their frequent visits to Bethel, where they assisted as translators. One day during just such a working visit to Bethel, their years of faithful service was betrayed: something hideous happened to their son, something that would rob him of his innocence and self respect for more than 40 years, and this hideous abuse was at the hands of a member of the Governing Body of Jehovah's Witnesses, a man as far up the hierarchy as any man can get, a man who claimed to be a "Brother of Christ," Leo Greenlees... (nathan natas)

That reads so much like a WT Awake! article - it's spooky.

• Dogpatch
    Dogpatch

Maybe we can talk Mark into sharing more of his story...

Randy

• Rabbit
    Rabbit

bump)))

• sixsixsixtynine
    sixsixsixtynine

<<<<<<<Happy birthday Randy>>>>>>>

• Balaamsass
    Balaamsass

WOW!!!

Share this

Google+