Lamentations 3:38 - huh???

by El blanko 17 Replies latest watchtower bible

• gumby
    gumby
    Shoddy workmanship or what?

How dare you call the Most High Freddy Franz shoddy! Shame on you! He was a dedicated Greek and Hebrew scholar ya know? Sheesh!

Gumby

• Leolaia
  • Gopher
    Gopher

So... when insurances companies call natural disasters "acts of God", they are using the Bible's own idea!

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Some additional comments re: Earnest's remark:

In Biblical Hebrew the interrogative ha is optional, especially in interro-negative formulae. That is, it may be explicit (actually appearing in the text, especially in prose, such as in Genesis 13:9, "Is not [ha-lô'] the whole land before you?") or understood (in which case it does not appear). In Lamentations it is obviously understood for poetical reasons (it would break the meter, and the negative is best put in the middle of the sentence for emphasis on mippi `elyôn, "from the mouth of the Most High").

From the standpoint of exegesis, interpreting Lam 3:38 as negative (not interro-negative) as the NWT does would imply a shift from v. 37 (a clear interrogation with the pronoun mi, "who...?").

Moreover, in the very similar text of Job 2:10 the interrogative is also understood: gam eth-hattov neqabbel méeth ha-elohim weeth ha-ra` lô' neqabbel, yet the NWT interprets it as interrogative: "Shall we accept merely what is good from the [true] God and not accept also what is bad?"

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

I looked this up in the index and found no reference to that verse. The context, however, is a little differnt in the NWT. No doubt any witness could tell you that their translation must be right and all the others must be wrong. A WT of 87 2/15 commented on vs 39 and said how it shows that people bring suffering on themselves and they should not complain about it.

(Lamentations 3:37-39) 37

Who, now, has said that something should occur [when] Jehovah himself has not commanded? 38 From the mouth of the Most High bad things and what is good do not go forth. 39 How can a living man indulge in complaints, an able-bodied man on account of his sin?

• El blanko
    El blanko

http://www.tektonics.org/bucknerj01.html

Leolaia:

Check that link and let me know your thoughts.

• Dolllie
    Dolllie

I agree with you .... I do not like that translation of the verse!

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

El blanko....Well, tektonics gives quite a one-sided treatment; the article on OT cosmology for instance was quite (laughably) off the mark....The bit on Lamentations focused only on the semantic value of the Hebrew word translated "evil," and without intimate knowledge on the matter, I would have to defer to whatever the TDOT and other works would say on the matter.... But since a more abstract concept of "evil" is a post-exilic concern, I don't think it would be valid to deny the older OT concept of Yahweh as a source of lies, woes, calamaties, etc. -- they are all part of his divine purposes.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit