Do you struggle to find truth in anything religious these days?

by Samdownunder 32 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Samdownunder
    Samdownunder

I was just interested to see how you feel out there. Ive been thinking a lot about all the lies and wasted time and frustration Ive went through for so long now, and I cant help but wonder if anything I ever believed in is real. Obviously the watchtower has lied and conned us all for years now, but who else along the way has changed the bible and who were the men who compiled it, and their motives? With all these lies from the WT, whom I trusted and believed to be lovers of God, what other greedy men have been motivated to change things to suit themselves and their own selfish desires throughout history. I have such a strong love for the creator of this universe and all of the beauty that exists within it, but I cant help but feel lost and confused about what is really inspired from that creator or only man-made. How do you feel out there,and why do you hold onto/or abandon your faith in God and the bible(or other religious text) after leaving the JW's?

• Jew
    Jew

Hi.

I asked the question : How did I manage to open my mind and discover the real truth about the Watchtower after so many years a slave? What made me open my mind after being brainwashed for so long?

I remember praying to God and asking for his guidance. I still believe that he helped me out of this terrible organization, but I find it so hard to actually accept his existance. This may sound strange but it is true in my case. I like the idea of having a faith, but can't see past the fantasy side into reality, because something tells me that it is all just made up. In the words of one researcher, ; 'In the beginning, man made God'

When you consider so many people have designed God's for themselves or their people, it is hard to believe that there is just one God for all people.

But I am early on my path and no doubt will come to some theological truths as I see them at a later date.

-Jew. ( By birth, not by faith )

• ballistic
    ballistic

Jew, that's amazing. I also prayed to god not knowing "the way out" and was disfellowshipped under astonishing circumstances. I still believe in a god, but I don't call "him" Jehovah and I believe the bible is just a facinating collection of books based partly on history.

Sam, we are all on different paths though. You can throw your question out here, but you have to find your own at the end of the day.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

Hi Sam and Jew, welcome to the board.

The way I see it now, everything I thought I knew about God, the Bible and what other religions taught etc. was tainted by the WT BS and that puts all of that knowledge under suspicion. I can't trust any of my own thoughts on any of those things because they are all tainted.

Chris

• dh
    dh

welcome to the board.

i don't find it a struggle, but i think that is mostly because i don't look for truth in anything 'religious'.

• Netty
    Netty

I know what you mean Sam. Its like "NOW WHAT" do I have to start all over again trying to find the truth, nevermind is how I feel. But it does nag at me some, now I know that alot of what I learned is not the truth, then for Petes Sake what is. I dont feel like going there, dont want to research study, search, did to much study in my jw days.

• JamesThomas
    JamesThomas

When there is no religion or belief, when there is no thought or conceptualizing, when there is no judging or interpretation, there is Truth.

j

• Gopher
    Gopher

The one phrase I heard from the JW's that I still wholeheartedly believe: "Religion is a snare and a racket."

Organized religion tends to divide people. People go to war or tear families apart over silly religious squabbles.

Like John Lennon said in his song "Imagine", the world will only get together if you can imagine "no religion, too". Having a personal faith in God is fine, but it only divides people when they try to arrive at "truth" and then presumptiously assume that others must believe the same way for their salvation.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

I think it's worth noting that most folks who comment on this kind of topic have absolutely no experience of any religion outside of the JW's.
    It's totally understandable, given the indoctrination and "triggers, so I wouldn't blame anyone for that attitude.
    Nonetheless it kinda reduces the weight of such opinions.

Reading about tomatoes and tasting them are two completely different things, IMHO.

Just my 2p.

• StinkyPantz
    StinkyPantz

I'm with dh on this. I don't really seek out religious meaning. Partially because I don't want to be duped again.. partially because I'm pretty sure the reason why I can't total abandon my belief in a creator/afterlife/spiritual realm is wishful thinking.

Also, I don't think it's necessary for me to delve into other religious orders to realize that they are all going to be flawed and not what I need.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit