I need HELP!!!!!!!!!

by Samdownunder 31 Replies latest jw friends

• HappyDad
    HappyDad

Ditto Billygoat,

It's not so strange to have my whole future ahead. It's actually freeing. Now instead, I have years to focus on enjoying life as God meant it to be enjoyed. Animals, nature, friendships, reading the bible. I have not given up on God. I go to a church and am actively involved in it. I don't agree with everything they teach, but I'm allowing myself the rest of my life to get my own opinion on those beliefs. What's the rush? I realized it was not The Truth? when the love they bragged about having, just never showed itself. I found more love and kindness with worldly people than behind the walls of a Kingdom Hall. God is gentle and loving. He would never treat his child the way those people treated their own. THAT'S what made me realize it wasn't The Truth?.

Sam......relax and stay awhile.........you will find where you belong in life.

HappyDad

• Farkel
    Farkel

sam,

: I have read a lot of information to sway me from the witnesses and to think it is only a man made religion, but still I fear I could be wrong and going against god. How do you all deal with this feeling...

Once you walk away, you will quickly find it is not a Christian religion, let alone the only True(tm) Christian religion. You will be stabbed in the back, gossiped about, lied about, shunned and treated as a dead man. THOSE are the fruits of the JW religion.

If you don't believe me, just try it. You won't find any more convincing proof than the actual and evil fruits produced by the WT religion. Once you discover I am right (although there will always be a few JWs who will treat you in a Christian manner), ask yourself, "Would Jesus do such things or approve of an religious institution that not only does these things but MANDATES its members to do these thing?"

Only THEN will you have the answer you want.

Farkel

• True North
    True North

Hi Samdownunder,

After years of JW indoctrination and mental conditioning, it can be hard to shake the nagging doubts and fears.

One thing that can help is to see that this experience is not unique to ex-JWs. It's common among those who've left high-control religious groups. Former Moonies, for instance, may be troubled by nagging doubts that the Moonies really had the truth or that they were wrong to leave. However, they won't be bothered at all by thoughts that maybe the JWs have the truth any more than you or any other ex-JW is likely to be troubled by the thought that maybe the Moonies were right. That's because the doubts and fears are a product of the indoctrination you received. Moonie indoctrination produces residual Moonie-oriented phobias while JW indoctrination produces residual JW-focused fears.

To help in this regard, I heartily second Bubbamar's recommendation to read Steven Hassan's books. I think the best one to start with is his Combatting Cult Mind Control. Hassan was a Moonie at one time and this book tells of his experiences in getting into and out of that group and his subsequent research and experiences in connection with helping others to break free from such groups. What makes this a particularly good first read for JWs and ex-JWs is that he doesn't ever mention JWs at all. You, however, are likely to observe the similarities with the groups he does discuss.

If you have trouble finding this book in Australia, you might try online at http://www.amazon.com or http://www.amazon.co.uk.

Best wishes,

True North

• garybuss
    garybuss

As long as you are afraid of ghosts and gods, you are vulnerable to being manipulated by some guru or shaman. The real issue to look at is theism. Read The Age Of Reason by Thomas Paine, enjoy the research of the history of the concept of gods by Karen Armstrong. Read the article in Encyclopedia Britannica titled, "The Bible".

Our problems were not with religion, the problems were with the assumptions religion is based on. These assumptions are dead men's delusions and are not real. Check it out. GaryB

• gumby
    gumby

I just wanted to add a little something off topic, but it's a good thing

Here we have someone who is/was close to becoming involved with this particular religious group......and gobs of people are offering their time to HELP them to see things from both sides so this poster can make an honest choice. Simon has a nice place.

Gumby....*kinda gets teary eyed*

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

I've been away from Jehovah's Witnesses for 38 years. I still don't feel that I somehow betrayed God. I followed my conscience and it was informed. Nor do I feel that I should return to "Mother" Watchtower Society. I'm independent and free and am my own person. I learned to think and act on my own, without someone watching over me, watching my every move or statement, so they can reprimand or censure me should I not toe their line.

"To thine own self be true."

• seattleniceguy
    seattleniceguy

Hello Sam,

Welcome to the board! I hope you'll enjoy yourself here and find lots of good information. Regarding something you posted...

What is the strongest thing that makes you right in your newfound convictions of truth

Remember, you're coming out of an organization that claims to have the universe wrapped up in 20 paragraphs for study on a Sunday morning. That is not the way the real universe is. The entire concept that you have to have the entire world figured out in an easily-digestable shrink-wrapped package, is just wrong.

Basically, what I'm trying to say is that leaving the organization does not put you under compulsion to come up with some other overarching story of the universe. Why not just take it one step at a time? We know the Witnesses are wrong. That doesn't mean you need to try to find another religion or worldview or anything else unless you want to, and when you want to.

My friend says, stick to what's real. Figure yourself out. Take a good long look at the world around you. Interact with people without judging them. See things for what they are. The more you do that, the better you'll understand the real world, and the more you'll realize that the Witnesses are just plain loopy.

SNG

• Carmel
    Carmel

My separation at an early age allowed me to investigate a variety of churches and religions as well as read as many things I could get my hands on regarding the issue of evolution. When I finally studied it in college and realized by re-reading Jw literature on the subject, I had solid proof that they misquoted and misrepresented many scientists. They out-right lie in their material. Any slight doubts I had or the possibility of them being "right" (ie God directed) vanished with that.

carmel

• gold_morning
    gold_morning

Sam,

I read your post with great interest. It brought back memories of how I felt for 16 years. I had left in the early 80's and instead of dealing with it, I put it aside. I always had that lurking feeling that it was more than likely the truth. But then again, I knew nothing else as I had been raised a JW.

All I can say is that around 1996 I decided to tackle it head on. I took my bible out and read it for myself. I kept reading it as fresh as I could, trying to put aside the JW mindset. I was amazed at how different the things were that I was reading from what I had been taught my whole life. It was evident to me that I had been reading Watchtowers and not the bible after all.

I will admit that I am now a born again Christian. I became born again in 1999. I was finally free of the guilt for leaving and could now read the bible for what it was and see the answers differently and for what they were.

The answers are there Sam. I would ask you to please just read the bible without the Watchtower glasses on. Read it fresh. Remember as witnesses we use to say...."all those asking will receive." ? Well.......it is very true, but in reverse.

I am sure there is issues you are sturggling with. I'd venture to say I had the very same ones. There is too much to write here...........but PLEASE feel free to e-mail me at [email protected]. I would do my best to help you with some things.

Remember, your salvation and peace of mind is not about a religion. Any religion for that matter, including Jehovah's Witnesses. It is only based on Jesus and what he did because he loved "you".

Acts 4:12 says...."Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to men by which we must be saved." (that includes the name of Jehovah's Witnesses)

1John 5:11...."He who has the son has life...." (Not he who has the organization has life)

Romans 3;22..."This righteousness from God comes through faith in Jesus Christ to all who believe:.....(righteousnesss does not come from Brooklyn who believe in it)

Titus 3;5....."He saved us not because of the righteous things we had done, but because of his mercy." (so we are not saved by our righteous door to door ministry)

Ephesians 2:8....."It is by grace you have been saved, through faith, and not from ourselves, it is the gift of God...not by works." (faith in Jesus saves us... not the works we do from ourselves like all those meeting and field service.)

Don't worry......God hasn't choped your head off for not being a JW. Stick with God and forget religion. God's word and the answers are for all men, not just a few elect at Brooklyn.

Remember to write me if you like.

Agape love, Gold_morning

• nb-dfed
    nb-dfed

Time, for me, has made it easier. The further I get away from it all, the less doubt assuages me. You will eventually hardly think of it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit