Publishers should charge the WTS for gas money

by Nosferatu 11 Replies latest jw friends

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

Let's face it, the publishers get ripped off. They make up for the payment of magazines when the householder fails to donate anything. They spend their time and gas money going door to door, not to mention wear and tear on their cars.

The publishers should quit paying for the householder's lack of donation, and begin deducting gas expenses from donation money. Okay, let's say that the average publisher burns about $2 worth of gas spending a morning out in field service. Let's say that the publisher successfully places two sets of magazines on a Saturday morning and recieves $1 for each set. The $2 should go to the publisher for gas money.

If the WTS wants publishers to devote their life to spreading the good news, they should be at least paying for gas.

• DireStraitJacket
    DireStraitJacket

The donations aren't just for the magazines but for the spreading of the "Good News", I'm surprised no one's brought this up before. It should not only pay for petrol, but for coffee, which rejuvinates the preachers and makes stay out in service for longer, and for lunch, to prevent them from going home and tempting them to stay there. It should also pay for warm clothes in winter time, massages for sore feet, legs, and backs.

hmm, I might actually go out in field service again...

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

Most companies will pay at least a percentage of the gas used for business purposes. Publishers don't even get that.

• Preston
    Preston

According to Arizona's tax laws, an employee can be reimbursed 0.35 for every mile driven for business purporses. If this is true then considering how many miles I've driven out in service and makign return visits, I should be a millionaire by now...

• blondie
    blondie

Actually, you can keep track of your mileage and declare it on your taxes (federal at least) as a deduction for volunteer work. The amount per mile is less than on a secular job but it can add up if you are a pioneer. I counted my mileage to and fron the KH as well and any other KH related activities.

I would hit up my riders too...some offered, others were cheap. I can remember one circuit assembly where the CO counseled the elders not to be using the pioneers' cars in the field service instead of their own.

Blondie

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

At the very least the publishers should keep a record of their driving and use the federal income tax deduction for "charitable" work. I believe one can deduct about $0.32 per mile.

I pointed this out to my dad when I was in high school (I had just taken a class where this was mentioned) and he said that doing this "would not be appropriate". I tried to point out that the WTS uses all available tax deductions as a "non-profit" organization and he just shrugged it off.

JWs have been programmed to "give 'til it hurts" and then some.

• blondie
    blondie

Elsewhere, our minds were on the same track. Your father did not know many pioneers or COs/DOs well. They all did this and there is nothing illegal about. Perhaps your dad was so well-heeled, he considered his donation to Jah.

Blondie

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

Congrats on your 10000 post, Blondie!

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere
    Perhaps your dad was so well-heeled, he considered his donation to Jah

You got it! That is the exact reason why he did not use such deductions!

Congrats on your 10,000th post!!! I feel privileged that you used it on me!

• blondie
    blondie

Wow, I didn't notice, Elsewhere. What am I now, God(dess)?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit