Should We Vote?

by patio34 19 Replies latest social current

• karategirl
    karategirl

I am ashamed to say this is my first presidential election, voted locally before. Been out ten years and still had the same complacent attitude of the dubs. Didn't even watch the news for years (although partly because I was afraid of "Peace and Security" being declared). I am even going to have my friend take a picture of me at the polls. it may sound goofy but as an ex-dub and a woman it is so important.

thirdpartygirl: witnesses do not vote or support any man made governments because supposedly they support god's kingdom only and are waiting for the day when his kingdom will rule the Earth directly through his son Jesus Christ. so, they as the scripture, which I may have wrong, says, "give Ceasar's things to Ceasar but God's things to God." meaning pay your taxes and follow the rules but do not violate your faith in God. They feel that God allows man's governments to remain in order to have order and avoid chaos but he will remove them when Armageddon comes. that's it in a nutshell.

can't believe I remembered that much. Anyone, please correct me if I got anything wrong. very rusty with the Bible.

karategirl

• dh
    dh

i think if you think there's someone worth voting for, then vote. i never have though, and i can't see a day when i would because the choices are so limited that i think it's just a worthless procedure.

• onacruse
    onacruse

dh:

it's just a worthless procedure.

While, to a degree, I share that fatalistic viewpoint, otoh, I consider my casting of vote as a self-affirmation. Let the social dynamic and powers that be play themselves out as they will, and always have: still, I have the right to express my opinion, a right that has been bought by blood and pain and death, and by voting I'll honor both myself and those who died in behalf of that freedom I now enjoy.

As an aside: just the other day, as I was pulling into the parking lot, the Star Spangled Banner came up on the radio. For the first time in my life, I deliberately sat back in my seat, and listened (with my heart) to the sentiment of that song.

I'm glad I did.

• Lostreality
    Lostreality

As much as it doesnt make a difference to vote in oregon (We arent a swing state) i still want to give the 7 electorial votes to anyone but bush.

• onacruse
    onacruse

LostR, actually, Oregon is a swing state, and why Bush and Kerry have spent such an inordinate amount of time here recently.

I wiped the sawdust from my eyes and watched AirForce1 fly overhead last week; and I'm still voting for Kerry. LOL

Craig

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan
    While, to a degree, I share that fatalistic viewpoint, otoh, I consider my casting of vote as a self-affirmation. Let the social dynamic and powers that be play themselves out as they will, and always have: still, I have the right to express my opinion, a right that has been bought by blood and pain and death, and by voting I'll honor both myself and those who died in behalf of that freedom I now enjoy.

I enjoyed that Craig.

• dh
    dh
    a right that has been bought by blood and pain and death, and by voting I'll honor both myself and those who died in behalf of that freedom I now enjoy.

i can totally agree, and i respect the fact that people died for it, but i think they died for the freedom of voting in a world where voting made a difference, not for the freedom of choosing 1 out of 3 evils, who are only there because of how much money they have, that's the world we are in, and it was that scenario where i meant that it's just a formality.

speaking personally, i would have no problem with dying in a revolution that toppled the bogus democracy governments we have, and that actually changed the world for the better, and i mean really changed. that in my mind would be honouring those who died to give us the right to vote, but i don't think that voting for the sake of it has any value at all, nor do i think those who died to give us the right to vote would feel honoured by anyone casting a vote for the sake of it. if that makes any sense!

• GentlyFeral
    GentlyFeral

My 21-year-old daughter tells me it's unlikely she will ever vote. "It's all bullshit," she says, speaking of the so-called democratic process. She can't see any particular difference between the Democratic and Republican agendas - and I think she has a point, ever since Slick Willie pulled the Demos to the right. (That and signing the Welfare Emasculation Act and the Defensive Marriage Act are three deeds I will never forgive him for. Monica ain't in it.)

For disaffected women of all ages, it's a much bigger issue than a ride to the polls or an inspiring history lesson. Too many people these days have been convinced that their voices will not be heard even if they do vote.

I'm not one of them.

gently feral

• onacruse
    onacruse

dh:

i think they died for the freedom of voting in a world where voting made a difference, not for the freedom of choosing 1 out of 3 evils,

And there you touch a very raw nerve in me. To think that in this world-dominating nation of ~300 million people...Bush, Kerry and Nader are the "best" contenders we can come up with? Oh gawd, if there is evidence against evolution, this is it.

My vote(s) will be against, rather than for.

• jwbot
    jwbot

This will be my first voting in anything. I am not even registered yet.

I am very excited to be voting this year and I am very optimistic about the outcome. I see it as a wonderful thing to be able to vote and even though it might not make a difference, it just might make a difference.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit