Did you Suffer for Service?

by Mysterious 14 Replies latest jw friends

• Atilla
    Atilla

Gee, you guys had it bad. Like I said, there was about 8 of us pioneers who were ages 18 to 24 and we were in total control. We barely turned the music down when we got to the door. We did lots of crazy stuff out in service and never got counseled. We'd go to the mall, play golf, just drive around, take two hour lunches, hell, even see a movie, no problem. It wasn't really work, just part time fun.

• Mysterious
    Mysterious

All these people slacking off in service and having fun <_< I'm jealous. I snuck the instruction booklet for a new video game I bought in my service bag once to look at..I got lectured about keeping my mind on spiritual things. If I got in the car with another youth and we started talking about entertainment or hobbies or anything not service related we got a lecture that we were too noisy and we should be having a theocractic conversation.

• Terry
    Terry

When I first got out of prison (neutrality vs draft) in 1969 the Congregation Overseer, Brother Beard, immediately greeted me at the Kingdom Hall with an application to PIONEER in his hand!

This was within seconds of seeing me for the first time in two years! I later discovered he wanted somebody to partner up with his son whom he'd forced to Pioneer by himself.

His son, Gary, was a florid, passive, timid girly-man (Yo, Arnold!) who couldn't hold a conversation on any subject at all. We spent alot of time together out in service with just the sound of the wind blowing by. He gave monosyllabic answers to open ended questions.

At the door Gary would have his sermon on a 3X5 card and he'd READ IT to the householder! Yipes.

I never minded the door to door work. The occasional live-wire would make it all worth while. I must have lived for the moments I could actually engage in some semblance of conversation. Mostly, it was a drudge because people don't respond at the door. They often try to be polite, but they are embaressed and "on the spot" in such an unnatural situation.

I always thought of the dork-to-door work as trick-or-treating without the costume.

• SAHS
    SAHS

?black ghost?:

i used to be stood at the doors in winter with my flary mary flowery skirt wrapped round my ears

Wouldn?t that have made you colder?

?Atilla?:

We'd go to the mall, play golf, just drive around, take two hour lunches, hell, even see a movie

Well, I hope it wasn?t R-rated. I mean, after all, you were counting time!

?SAHS

• Preston
    Preston
    When I first got out of prison (neutrality vs draft) in 1969 the Congregation Overseer, Brother Beard, immediately greeted me at the Kingdom Hall with an application to PIONEER in his hand!

What an ASSHOLE!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit