MOSES AND THE COPPER SERPENT......mysterious!

by Terry 39 Replies latest jw friends

• myelaine
    myelaine

dear Terry...

you said: "The ingredients of our bible stories are much richer in allegory than the literal view of real persons, places and actual events."...

what is your point? wringing hidden meaning out of the text is a more "colourful" means of interpretation compared to...?

love michelle

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

When I was eleven, this was my KH Ministry School topic. They certainly stuck to the core of teaching. As a child, the serpent brought me terror. Bad, bad memories. What does a kid know about fiery serpents? I could not write my own presentations. My mom prepared an outline for me. I lost my voice b/c of a cold and the entire KH laughed at me. The MS servant was scathing. I wish the serpent would bite the MS servant.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Ugh; I've lost count of how many Judeo-Christian customs, traditions, and teachings have their origins in "pagan" cultures.

• DT
    DT

Thank you for posting this. I'm writing a novel that includes some of this information.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Women know Hermes makes superb leather goods and the best printed scarves on the finest silk twill. Also, their Kelly handbag has a waiting list with a starting price of well over $10,000. It takes years to make your way to the top of the list. I wonder why the Parisians chose the name Hermes.

• whathappened
    whathappened

This is facinating, thanks for the info.

• Terry
    Terry

myelaine:

you said: "The ingredients of our bible stories are much richer in allegory than the literal view of real persons, places and actual events."...

what is your point? wringing hidden meaning out of the text is a more "colourful" means of interpretation compared to...?

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You said it yourself: "than the literal view of real persons, places and actual events."

• myelaine
    myelaine

dear Terry...

it seems the purpose of the bible was to separate God's truth from fiction. Do you think it serves this intent (ie: 2 Tim 3:16) to indulge in the "mysticism" and error that allegorical interpretation can produce?...beliefs can get way out there in a hurry and I've read that there no longer remains a sacrifice for sin once one has received knowledge of the truth (Hebrews 10:25)...don't look back to untruth to find truth...

Sure the "ingredients" tickle the ear...but now it's time to get real, so to speak: acts 17:30, acts 13:8-10

love michelle

• mP
    mP

@myelaine

Snakes were worshipped in ancient religions, for numerosu reasons. They also believed that because snakes shed their skin, they were reborn. Thats why we see so many magical snakes in the early parts of the bible. Snake talking to Eve, Aaron & Moses with the imagic stick/snakes. Nehushatan. Funnily enough Josiah had to destroy N the snake because it was worshipped.

• Terry
    Terry

Those who say they hate reading history don't stop to consider how thinly today is painted over so many yesterdays the previous colors shine through.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit