Blondie, can you sleuth this one for me please?

by Glenmore 15 Replies latest jw friends

• Scully
    Scully

This is going off on a bit of a tanget regarding the Golden Rule, so please forgive me....

A long time ago I was reading an article written by a Rabbi affiliated with Reformed Judaism with regard to the Golden Rule. According to him, the essence of the Mosaic Laws is summed up this way: Do not do to others that which you do not want them to do to you. "Not doing" involves no action at all. You can fulfill the Law and live your entire life "not doing" anything to anybody by staying in your bedroom 24/7.

When Jesus came along with what came to be known as The Golden Rule, he changed it to DO unto others as you would have them do unto you. It became a Law requiring postive actions, not just idling in neutral one's entire life. It means that loving one's neighbour involves, not the mere abstinence from doing them harm (which is what Justice would require), but actively seeking out opportunities to do good toward them.

Love, Scully

• blondie
    blondie

Great material, RR, but how does that address the material in The New Creation regarding the Golden Rule being the Law of Justice contrasted with a Law of Love?

Could you condense it a bit?

• RR
    RR

Hey, I was simply posting the tract that Glen rerceived from the FWBS, which is a reprint of a Watch Tower article. I'm not here to interpret!

RR

• blondie
    blondie

I take it the bolding is the tract's then not yours?

The Golden Rule, "Do unto others as you would have others do unto you." This is not the rule of love, but of justice. We have no right to do unto others anything that we would not that they should do to us. In keeping the Golden Rule, therefore, we are not keeping the great Law of Love, but we are taking a step in the right direction. No one should begin to think about love until he is just. Love would be something more than that which is right. Love is more than justice.

Based on this from the tract and my explanations above, I think I got the drift. Does the WTS teach this? I don't think they make the distinction at least not from 1950 on.

Glenmore, remember this that the Studies in the Scriptures were used quite some time after 1919 as the basis of WTS teachings. That would mean that what was mentioned in Volume 6 would have been valid teaching.

w50 7/15 p. 214 Organized Testimony to the New World ***

For many years, down to April, 1926, those Studies in the Scriptures, translated into many languages and reaching a circulation of millions of copies, served as the textbooks for weekly Bible study by many congregations in all the earth.

• RR
    RR

Actually, the tract and the original article is italic.

• Deleted
    Deleted

Hey Blondie, I found the November 1 1947 wt on pages 324-331 (study article with lots of references to "field service") being referred back to the "rule of love" and quoting Matt 7:12. For example:

38 "It is God?s teaching that we love one another, and that we love our neighbor, and God is the great "King of Eternity". This is a royal law that he gives us for our guidance in this day of selfishness that has run amuck. We shall not go wrong if we follow it and apply it practically and with sincerity and genuine affection. "If ye fulfil the royal law according to the scripture, Thou shalt love thy neigbbour as thyself, ye do well." (Jas. 2: 8) Growing out this royal law are Jesus? words: "Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them: for this is the law and the prophets." (Matt. 7: 12) This leaves no room for partiality, especially partiality toward our own selves. No partiality should be shown toward a Kingdom publisher or minister who reports many hours afield in service as against another who reports less but who is just as eager and earnest to serve the most High God. As servants or slaves of one another in imitation of Jesus Christ, we will encourage all the brethren into that public confession with the mouth that wins divine approval and leads to their salvation. We will not be partial toward one nationality or race as against another, but will discern them all to be our neighbors if they are kindly disposed to the Lord and anxious for salvation that emanates from Him through Jesus Christ. We will love our neighbors of whatsoever nation, kindred, race and tongue, and we will therefore be moved to share with them the message of salvation which the neighborly love by others has passed on to us ourselves.

So my laic interpretation is that by this time (1947) the Rule of Justice (Golden Rule) became the Rule of Love - and a support scripture to peddle magazines.

Glen

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit