Work Situation

by simplesally 38 Replies latest jw friends

• simplesally
    simplesally

I work for California's largest RV dealership and one the nation's largest as well. My title is Finance Sales Manager. (Big deal this is not the point of the thread.... please read on but that info effects the ending). I was transferred to a new store because I wanted make a bigger percentage because I would be the lead manager and make a lot more money for the store. Our facility has not even been built and we are in a small, did I say small, building. We are working with a pretty skeleton crew and in cramped quarters.

Before I got to this location, a receptionist was finally hired. She is 22 and frankly, very immature, not pretty and not very intelligent. She has lately informed us rudely that she is a carpet muncher (her words). But she was the ONLY woman who worked there. At first when I got there she was excited to have another woman there. But then as time went on, she took my messages, paged me for calls, etc...... When I asked her to read her messages back to me: "What does this say?" "Where is the phone number?" "Please don't go in the finance office drawers, we keep money in there" etc........ she started calling me "Boss Lady" ...... I told her to please sit at her desk and answer the phones and greet customers, she didn't belong outside with salespeople and leaving the phones untended.

She started 'freezing me out' for days at a time, you know..........no good mornings, etc. I didn't care, I come to work.

She came to a work meeting and was dressed inappropriately .........I told her to cover herself with her sweater. "Please cover up your bra with your sweater." She got in my face and then stormed out of the building. I told corporate about the situation. They have received numerous complaints about her and told me whenever they call someone else is answering the phones. My boss got mad at me at first!! He was mad I went to corporate rather than him but I explained since she has made up stories in the past I wanted them to hear from me first and he was on vacation. Well, he and I discussed her message taking (you know........Tom called. No last name no phone number) and how we can't read the durn things and her bossy attitude over the store. He decided he would write her up after her mom got out of the hospital. Corporate had told me I had the option to write her up for her insubordination if I chose to but I thought it would be better for them or my boss to do it.

So........yesterday, she comes in my office slaps piles of forms on my credenza and mumbles something, I asked her what she said she walked out. She came in with another shipment of supplies and slapped them down.........this pile was getting huge and it was not all for our finance office. I asked her something again and she walked out. Finally, I went out and said, 'Lisa, when I ask you a question, you need to answer me." She looked at me horrified that I say that to her. I said, "Lisa, I mean it." She came in with more forms and I said, "Lisa, I don't need all those, give some to sales." She then gave me this weird look and moved her body all around and said, "PLEASE, THANK YOU, MA'AM" and walked out.

Well, I came to work today, my boss took me aside and tried to say, "You two need to work this out." I told him that I would not defend myself or my actions. That Lisa gets irritated when I tell her what to do or how to do it. He knows I have tried to talk to her and explain how important receptionists are to a business.......I tried to make her see herself as valuable in her role. I told him that she does not see me as a manager but as a co-worker (which would be fine if she did her job). I told him that if I have asked her to get the messages right, that that's okay for me to do!! If I tell her to hold my calls, I don't need eyes rolled at me and then snotty unkind remarks to whoever happens to be near her, especially so I can hear it! He agreed. He told me we would talk to her together and try to get her to see that I am a manager.

So...........late in the day, my boss came to me and told me that he was so mad at her attitude. His light went on. He said she doesn't realize that if he and the other sales manager are not there, she is to look to me for direction. That I am 3rd in charge.......we have 5 managers. So, he took her on his own and told her that she needed to show respect for me, that in our whole company I am the top performer and have earned the right to be a little snitty if I wanted (thats what she said I was to her). He told her that I have customers, banks and salespeople to tend to and she has not earned the respect that she wants.

He was sooooooooooooo proud of himself and said, "I stuck up for you."

But...........he said Tuesday, we will talk to her together.......... I told him, I am not defended anything I said or did. All I know is I hate confrontation, I am wondering what I will say to her in this meeting. I don't want to get into a recital of situations with her. I just want her to do her job and stop getting her nose in everyone's business.

• bisous
    bisous

Sounds to me like she should be fired. A receptionist is a very visible position, often a front-line view from which conclusions regarding the company's image are drawn.

The examples you have provided reflect an unprofessional and insubordinate attitude. I work for a large financial institution (highly corporate) and as a manager I would have terminated her employment somewhere between the carpet-munching and bra scenario.

Sorry you have to go through this, these things can be a real pain!

PS-You sound like you need a break! Why not come to Bisous & Odrade's get together in Portland on October 9th??!! smiles, we would love to meet you!

• simplesally
    simplesally

I agree bisous.........

One day, she came to work in a halter top, bra and sweater. In the lunch room she removed her sweater so you got to see her big white bra. Halter tops are not allowed at work. She is overweight but does not dress for her body type.....usually her clothes are too tight so you see her body rolls..... it's like you wish you were her mom so you could help her a bit because if she would dress professionally, she would feel better about herself.

• bisous
    bisous

I send people home for inappropriate dress, and their pay is docked while they are gone. If the occurrence is repeated they can be terminated for insubordination.

• Preston
    Preston

It's been my experience, I work as the Accounts Manager for a Construction firm, that guys tend to be a little more way about alliances and sticking up for fellow employees. It's a shame that at your firm, your seniority isn't valued as much as it should. I've always thought that productivity and loyallty should be rewarded, not just in the best physical manifestation possible (more money damnitt), but also in the verbal support from those in upper level managment. Plus, you're the finance manager, the HAVE to be nice to you. Hope things work out better, good luck...

• simplesally
    simplesally
    It's a shame that at your firm, your seniority isn't valued as much as it should

This why I called corporate......because the GSM, who is the senior manager down here, was not handling the situation but putting his head in the sand. Corporate was shocked this was going on and apparently 'reemed him' last week after we had our budget meeting. Getting in trouble with "Gloria" at our work is kinda like getting in trouble with God's wife.

He did stick up for me yesterday.........but it has been a situation that should have never happened or been allowed to go on. Like I said before, this girl has seen no one except the GSM as a manager.

I am just trying to think what I am going to say to her because I really have nothing to say.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Why not just fire her? It's obvious that she does not fit into the culture of the company and that she is grinding everyone's gears.

She would be much more happy in a company composed of people like herself... and trust me... there are plenty of them.

• Sirona
    Sirona

Sally,

Your receptionist sounds like the exact same receptionist as the one at my work! She is younger, however (just 18)

My opinion is that you let your manager take the leadm, but if called on to say anything, simply state what behaviour you disapprove of and why. You don't need to defend your own actions. Just point out the offending behaviour.

Good luck! I know is so difficult to be in that position. I regularly pull my hair out with the girl we have...but unfortunately top management simply "talk to her" and then let her carry on with unprofessional behaviour.

Sirona

• jgnat
    jgnat

Sally, I think you have two problems. A wishy-washy GSM and a receptionist that should be fired. My daughter held the same position as this girl; and believe me, she worked like a demon from opening to closing. She knew her professionalism reflected on the entire sales operation. If I were in your shoes, I would ream out the GSM. Remind him that you were put in that position because of your ability, and he wouldn't want you to ask for a transfer, as that would reflect badly on him. You know how to bring in sales; tell him so. Tell him the girl has got to go. Get him to write her up. Get him to lay out for her what she needs to do to improve. If you need to, write it out for him. Sometimes employees can be scared straight, and this girl seriously needs to be told what she needs to do to shape up. If she "gets it", you salvage an employee. If she doesn't "get it", let another company suffer, hopefully your rival. If she continues, get him to write her up again. If needs be, write it for him and show him where to sign. One, two, three strikes, she is out!

• xenawarrior
    xenawarrior

Holy Cow Sally !!! That woman needs to go !! And your boss needs some serious management training !! For you, in your position as a major money generating force in that company, to have to waste time dealing with this mishandled situation is ludicrous !!

Good luck with it !!!

XW

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit