If You Found A Discarded Lottery Ticket In The Trash & It Was A Winner.....

by minimus 26 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

and you knew who it belonged to, would you view it as "finder's keepers"? Would you tell the person they just threw away a winner? Would you tell him, hoping for a reward???

• JH
    JH

I would give it to the person who it belonged to, and insist that I should have a good chunk of cash.

• JH
    JH

I'm too stupid honest to keep it.

• minimus
    minimus

I'd keep it! In Massachusetts, a guy threw away a ticket that was worth millions. The clerk checked it out after he left, just to make sure there were no winners and guess what? She becme a millionaire. Now, the guy that threw his money away is going to court to try to claim it back.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

I would cash it in and keep the cash a- or should I say spend it

• Netty
    Netty

Thats a hard one. I would like to say I would give it back, but I dont know for sure that I would. Keeping it would be so tempting...

• JH
    JH
    Now, the guy that threw his TICKET away is going to court to try to claim it back.

That person won't win in court. He threw it away, and second his name is not on it. It must be written on the ticket that the HOLDER of the ticket wins.

• ohiocowboy
    ohiocowboy

If it were a friend, I would give it back. If it were someone that I didn't know, I would see what their environment was like. If they drove a Porsche, and had a big mansion, I would probably say Screw it, and keep the $$$. If it were someone that looked really destitute, and down and out, I would arrange to have bags of $$$ given to them anonomously equal to half of the winnings-after taxes of course....

One must also be careful when having a clerk check the tickets. I have heard of clerks saying that a ticket is not a winner, knowing that the ticket will get thrown out in the trash there, and they pick it out of the trash and claim it for themselves.

• minimus
    minimus

A few years back this same guy won a couple of million dollars. They went to court this past week. The jury was deadlocked, 10-2. 10 jurors wanted to award the man that threw the ticket away the money!

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Since it was in the trash, I would view it as "abandoned" and recover it as my own.

By abandoning an object, the previous owner relinquishes all rights to it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit