A Snare and a Racket????

by ApagaLaLuz 11 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• ApagaLaLuz
    ApagaLaLuz

Alright, call me dumb, go ahead get it outta your system.....

Anyway, what exactly is the meaning of this word "racket" that they love to refer to?

• Valis
    Valis

Main Entry: 2 racket
    Function: noun
    Etymology: origin unknown
    1 : confused clattering noise : CLAMOR
    2 a : social whirl or excitement b : the strain of exciting or trying experiences
    3 a : a fraudulent scheme, enterprise, or activity b : a usually illegitimate enterprise made workable by bribery or intimidation c : an easy and lucrative means of livelihood d slang :

• kls
    kls

I could be wrong Chevy but i think it means , snare,,,,to get caught,,,racket , to get involved in something wrong or deceitful.

• kls
    kls

See Chevy , i said i could be wrong,,,,,,,,Hard to believe ain't it.

• blondie
    blondie

A note:

The WTS used this slogan during a period when they did not consider themselves a religion. It wasn't until 1950 that they considered themselves a religion, but the "only true religion." It confused a great many JWs who had it hammered into their skulls up till then that they were not a religion.

Blondie

• Mac
    Mac

I once made a bear trap out of old tennis rackets...does that qualify?

mac

*edited to add that it didn't work very well...Jerimiah Johnson, I ain't!!

• professor
    professor

Hmmm... First they label religion a snare and a racket. Then they become a religion. At least they warned us ahead of time.

• truthseeker1
    truthseeker1

New Light?

• Undaunted Danny
    Undaunted Danny

Say it with pictures.

I like RIPOFF RACKET better

• CeriseRose
    CeriseRose

Outside our distriction conventions there was always a man with a sandwich board who used a megaphone to declare that the "Watchtower was a snare and a racket." As a new JW I was told to not look him in the eye and that he was an apostate.

It was later that I found out about how 'we' used to call religion a "snare and a racket." He, at least to me, made some sense by that point.

Hmmm. Maybe that was the beginning of the end for me. hehe

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit