Anyone have a pet iguana?

by MoeJoJoJo 15 Replies latest jw friends

• kls
    kls

Whoops ,forgot something very important. They need to be sprayed with water at least once a day. I used a spray bottle and they like water so if you have a washroom sink or it is warm where you live let them swim.

They need this for their skin so it doesn't dry out.

• TD
    TD

I have an iguana --- a 4 ft female.

Iguanas can make good pets but they have very special needs.

For one thing, all reptiles are inefficient at absorbing calcium. It's not usually a problem because this inefficiency is offset by the sheer amount of calcium that most reptiles consume (e.g. They eat their prey bones (or exoskeleton) and all.)

Iguanas are different because they are vegetarians by and large. Consequently you have to be very careful to make sure that they have a good source of ultraviolet light (Because they can't utilize dietary D3 --You can buy a broad spectrum flourescent for this purpose) and a good source of calcium. (Collard greens are especially good) If either of these two things are lacking, a pet iquana will break a leg for sure. (They're natural born jumpers)

• MoeJoJoJo
    MoeJoJoJo

Thanks for the tips, I've never been a reptile type person myself, if you know what I mean, so I have alot to learn. She is pretty cool tho and the kids love her. We are just about finished building the habitat, she will be moving in this evening.

TD: we found out today that they definitely are jumpers--my son had her on his shoulder today outside like he has for the past few days but today she decided to jump off and make a break-for-it. We had quite a time catching her. Needless to say she's not allowed outside anymore without her leash.

It seems like her color is getting more vibrant since we got a UV bulb for her (the previous owner did not have one in the tank when we got her). Does anyone know if their tail stays brown or is she lacking in something?

• kls
    kls

Moe, it depends , their tail is somewhat of a brown color but if you notice it getting darker even black take her to a vet that has knowledge of reptiles. They can get a fungus and it can start in their tail , mine did but was able to clear it up with antibiotics.

Remember they are tree climbers and will be gone in a flash. My neighbors had many laugh's watching me stand on the top of my truck getting Izzie out of a tree.

Nutrition and warmth are the most important for their health.

• TresHappy
    TresHappy

I've heard of people dumping dogs and cats, but this reptile dumping takes the cake!

• MoeJoJoJo
    MoeJoJoJo

thanks for the info kls... lol about the truck & tree-bet it wasn't too funny for you at the time. We didn't realize she was so fast until today. I'm so glad she didn't make it to the willow tree out back--its HUGE--like four trees in one.

Treshappy, I still can't believe it either.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit