Dog question...

by desib77 10 Replies latest jw friends

• desib77
    desib77

When a dog is sick to it's stomach and wants to eat grass, is it okay to let them do so? Does it help them to feel better or make them feel worse?

Desi

• Valis
    Valis

Actually they will eat the grass and it is just fine...it could be the animal is trying to make itself hurl the offending material in thier stomach or it helps settle thier stomach...either way its all good.

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• desib77
    desib77

Thanks Valis....

I've been letting him eat it when he feels like he needs to but wanted to make sure it wasn't making things worse.

• jwbot
    jwbot

Sometimes dogs just like to eat grass and that is OK. Just make sure the grass they eat is not polluted. My dog loves to eat grass as we run through the field and she does not throw up because of it.

• SAHS
    SAHS

As long as the grass it eats isn?t in an area that has been used as a bathroom by anything (or anyone), then what the hay, eh? It?s nature?s salad bar. If anything, it?s good roughage. (Although you might also want to make sure your dog gets sufficient roughage in its diet. Throw it a carrot once in a while.)

?SAHS

• outoftheorg
    outoftheorg

SPEAKING OF DOGS.

DAY BEFORE YESTERDAY MY DOG WAS EATING GRASS AND THEN VOMITING. DOGS USUALLY EAT GRASS IF THEY AREN'T FEELING WELL.

MY DOG, A BLUE HEALER "HERD DOG" IS A PILE OF FUN. ALWAYS WANTING TO PLAY.

SHE WILL BRING A BALL OR A ROCK AND PUT IT ON MY FOOT FOR ME TO THROW IT AND SHE WILL RETRIEVE.

YESTERDAY I WANTED TO CHECK ON HER AND COULDN'T FIND HER. SHE DIDN'T ANSWER WHEN CALLED. I LOOKED ALL OVER AND NO DOG. CALLED THE DOG CATCHER AND HE DIDN'T HAVE HER AND SAID HE WOULD SEE IF HE COULD FIND HER.

SMALL TOWN YA KNOW. FINALLY I FOUND HER AND SHE WOULDN'T COME TO ME. CRAWLED UNDER THE BUS AND GOT HER TO COME OUT.

SHE WAS VERY DEHYDRATED AND NOT TOO RESPONSIVE. TOOK HER TO THE VET. HE CHECKS HER AND FINDS SHE HAS SWALLOWED ONE OF THOSE DAMNED ROCKS

SO NOW SHE IS BEING OPERATED ON AT THE COST OF @ $400.00 TO $500.00

NO MORE RETRIEVING FOR HER.

Outoftheorg

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

Poor darling (outoftheorg)! I'm glad the vet found out what's wrong and is dealing with it. Maybe a nice tennis ball to throw from now on?

As for eating grass, all dogs do it. I learned the hard way that if I see my dog eating grass I leave him/her outside for a while; otherwise you'll have a regurgitated salad in your living room. Very gross.

Nina

• desib77
    desib77

Outoftheorg,

I'm sorry your dog is having to go through that. Was it a large rock? Poor doggy...

• Chloe
    Chloe

Outoftheorg, sorry about your dog.

I found out that tennis balls aren't a good idea, either. They are very abrasive on the dog's teeth. My vet pointed this out to me. Also, a very large dog can get them lodged in their throat.

I got my dog (who is a fetch freek) a good sized smooth ball at the pet store that he's had for years now.

• Odrade
    Odrade

my dog uses a racquetball. but he is small

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit