Need a recommendation for a good book re: Proving the bible wrong

by indoubt 17 Replies latest jw friends

• garybuss
  • onacruse
    onacruse

Yes, the Age of Reason has been recommended to me several times; haven't yet read it.

Another one that taught me a lot: The Historical Approach to the Bible (Howard Teeple).

As a personal aside--I find that I'm now not all that much concerned about accumulating more information about the Bible and religion; once I finally let the barriers of of my JW preconceptions fall, and took the historical and logical evidence at face value...well, it really is pretty clear.

And, ya know, one of the things that still makes me want to kick myself in the butt is that I didn't listen to those many and increasingly louder little voices in my mind that had figured it out long before I did; self-confidence is not exactly one of those things that we a JWs were encouraged to develop.

indoubt, I wish you all the best on your journey.

Sincerely,

Craig

• Satanus
    Satanus

After leaving the wt, i spent 2 yrs passing through fundamentalist christianty, ending up in preterism. At the end of it, a flood critique, together w the explication of genesisian inconsistencies burst my bible bubble.

Joseph wheless blows up the ot: http://www.infidels.org/library/historical/joseph_wheless/is_it_gods_word/index.shtml

Forgeries in christianity by joseph wheless is online here: http://www.thenazareneway.com/Forgery%20in%20Christianity/index_forgery_in_christianity.htm

Here are listed a few inconsistencies in the nt: http://www.thenazareneway.com/new_testament_biblical_inconsistencies.htm

This site, http://www.askwhy.co.uk/index.html#top has a few online books that cover a lot, including persian influence on the bible writing.

Some of these books are 80 yrs old, so some material may be out of date. But, it's still mostly very good.

S

• hooberus
    hooberus
    Besides, most people who defend the bible with the loudest voices don't actually read it. The average Christian reads books ABOUT the Bible. They read the works of apologists. The bible is the finest soporific known to mankind.

I believe that many who defend the Bible read it.

It has been my experience that some critics of the Bible use arguments which seem to indicate a lack of basic reading of the book. For example when a critic asks "How did Noah go about gathering all the different kinds of animals to go on to the ark?" etc.

• hooberus
    hooberus

http://www.thenazareneway.com/new_testament_biblical_inconsistencies.htm

MT 1:18-21 The Annunciation occurred after Mary had conceived Jesus.
    LK 1:26-31 It occurred before conception.

MT 1:20 The angel spoke to Joseph.
    LK 1:28 The angel spoke to Mary

Matthew and Luke are discussing two different events. Luke gives the account of Gabriel appearing to Mary. Matthew gives the account of the angel appearing to Joseph in a dream (probably a later event). The skeptic is attempting to make a contradiction by having both accounts refer to the same angelic event. Obviously this is two different events, one to Mary (Luke 1) before the conception, and a later one in dream to Joseph after the conception. Did the skeptic study the Bible?

Luke 1The Birth of Jesus Foretold

26 In the sixth month, God sent the angel Gabriel to Nazareth, a town in Galilee, 27 to a virgin pledged to be married to a man named Joseph, a descendant of David. The virgin's name was Mary. 28 The angel went to her and said, "Greetings, you who are highly favored! The Lord is with you."
    29 Mary was greatly troubled at his words and wondered what kind of greeting this might be. 30 But the angel said to her, "Do not be afraid, Mary, you have found favor with God. 31 You will be with child and give birth to a son, and you are to give him the name Jesus.

Matthew 1The Birth of Jesus Christ

18 This is how the birth of Jesus Christ came about: His mother Mary was pledged to be married to Joseph, but before they came together, she was found to be with child through the Holy Spirit. 19 Because Joseph her husband was a righteous man and did not want to expose her to public disgrace, he had in mind to divorce her quietly.
    20 But after he had considered this, an angel of the Lord appeared to him in a dream and said, "Joseph son of David, do not be afraid to take Mary home as your wife, because what is conceived in her is from the Holy Spirit. 21 She will give birth to a son, and you are to give him the name Jesus, [1] because he will save his people from their sins."

• Farkel
    Farkel

I have to jump on the band wagon and also recommend The Age of Reason. Gary B. has provided a link to it, and it's free! Paine goes through the Bible almost book-by-book and uses ONLY the Bible itself to trash itself. While Paine deals a little bit with false prophecy in the Bible, he spends a great deal of time showing absurd ananchronisms, contradictions and how utterly stupid the "prophets" actually were.

As has already been pointed out, the Bible is the best book to use to prove how wrong it is.

Farkel

• confusedjw
    confusedjw

Use the New World Translation to prove all the other translations wrong and the Kingdom Interlinear to prove the NWT wrong.

That's it, that's the list

• Terry
    Terry

A clear and easy to read scholarly book called SECRET ORIGINS OF THE BIBLE by Tim Callahan will do the trick.

It is not a polemic.

It gives facts, history, archaeology, analysis and a falsifiable heuristic to scripture and illuminates it for what it is without resorting to generalizing or sarcasm.

Your local library should have a copy.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit