Expressions that show that you are an old-timer!

by cyberguy 37 Replies latest jw friends

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

On that same subject of "Bible Study", I've always thought that the phrase "Book Study" was the most idiotic, uneducated phrase that the Society ever came up with. It's like saying, "I'm going to do come book reedin now".

• Sweetp0985
    Sweetp0985

I used this word the other day when typing a post and after I typed it I was like ewwww..I used a JW term...

"HOUSEHOLDER"

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

class

moving where the need is great

someone brought up blood on the door (ewww LOL)

topic for discussion

our mediator Christ Jesus (they ditched that doctrine for the "Great Crowd")

use the "Make Sure" book (replaced by Reasoning Book)

...and our magazines are just 10p if you'd like them.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

vindicating Jehovah's name (dispensed with at an Assembly in the late 80's, to be replaced with vindicating his sovereignty)

• 4JWY
    4JWY

Minimum hour requirement for publishers: 12

Our congregation had a HUGE chart that went on stage on an easel at the beginning of each month during the service meeting that showed all the statistics for the previous month in the ministry - hours, back calls, studies etc.

Sandwich boards we had to "wear" as kids- for street corner witnessing and the big signs on top of cars advertising assemblies.

• Mulan
    Mulan

Newly interested ones were called "good will", like it was a noun.

the New World (later became the New Order)

• Country Girl
    Country Girl

"encourage"

as in

"Let's encourage Sister Blabber-Puss to go in service with us this Saturday."

uck.

Country Grill

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

rendezvous for service

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

Anyone interested in any related JW expressions will want to take a look at the "Glossary of American English Hacker Theocratese." I didn't go through all the alphabet, but found the following:

advertise--used during the Rutherford era ("Advertise, advertise, advertise the King and His Kingdom")

assembly food--when there were concession stands at assemblies

badge card--only card now is those that say attendants

blood card--now called Advance Medical Directive card

class woker--used in 1930s for publisher

incidental witnessing--now informal witnessing

Golden Age--now Awake! magazine

There are countless others. See for yourself at

http://bookshelf.info/wordlists/e/eec/www/

• bikerchic
    bikerchic

Bulletin Board which later became the Information Board which later became ___________?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit