So When and Why Did They Stop Feeding People At Assemblies?

by Englishman 16 Replies latest jw friends

• Englishman
    Englishman

It seems nuts to me. The feeding of umpteen thousand using voliunteers was their "in" with all the local press.

I know that cafeterias were still in use in '72 when I left. So what caused their use to cease?

Incidentally, our PO would encourage us NOT to take a packed lunch as we would miss out on associating with our brothers during meal times. This is from the Watchtower, 15 March, 1969:

>>>>>>>>>>>>Meals during the assembly will be no problem. At each convention location a cafeteria will be set up, providing nourishing meals at nominal cost. It is, in fact, common to see entire families eating together at the convention cafeteria. Mealtimes on such occasions are fine opportunities to make new acquaintances and hear many unique experiences.<<<<<<<<<<<

I looked at some old Standard 8 movies of assemblies. Many of them featured people in the lunch queues talking together animatedly.

So why did they stop it?

When did they stop it?

Were people disappointed by the withdrawal of the cafeterias?

Englishman.

• confusedjw
    confusedjw

It stopped in the 80's with the "simplified feeding program"

The reason: Too much time and people to prepare the food who were then missing assembly parts.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere
    The reason: Too much time and people to prepare the food who were then missing assembly parts.

The reality: The food service was causing them to loose money instead of make money. Yet at the same time they refused to simply charge for the service because they have a pathological aversion to paying taxes.

• The Thinker
    The Thinker

When they used to have the food service they would discourage us from buying food from outside the convention centre because we are buying from "satans World". Now that they don't have a food service, probably because of tax reasons, its OK to buy food from "satans World" haha

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

In Britain I believe it was to do with Health and Safety issues regarding food preparation.

It was the late 80's.

They had just kitted out some great kitchens in the brand new East of the Penine's Circuit Assembly Hall in Hellaby (there's an appropriate name, if ever there was one - LOL). Shame they can't use them anymore. Did the same thing happen in the purpose built place in Bristol, anyone know?

• conoroberst
    conoroberst

dunno about bristol, but it happened in dudley, the kitchens and the newly converted dining hall.

i dont know what the others were on about though about not charging and tax breaks etc, as far as I can recall meals were always charged for (with those tear off tokens), I for one dont give two hoots about the lack of food though the bacon baps were nice at the start of the convention , far too much work went into making them though, but it made it much more of an event, especially cleaning the nasty ovens at the wolves ground (for teh americans, that is the Wolverhampton Wanderers FC soccer ground)

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

Here in the Great Pacific NorthWest (US) they were discontinued because of health regulations, according to my dad, back in the 80's when we were still on speaking terms.

As a kid and teenager, I did everything from scrub potatos to slop oatmeal to serving up burgers or hotdogs. I avoided the dishwashing and cleanup as much as I could, but even got roped into that on rare occasion. As a teen it was a great way to meet others, especially guys!

Brenda

• minimus
    minimus

Englishman, did you just hear about this?

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

I think I caught the very tail-end of what once was when I started associating with JW's in 1992. Meals were still being provided at assemblies. Quick-builds were still "come one come all", complete with big, satisfying meals and card games late into the night. The 1914 generation teaching was still firmly in place, though not talked about a whole lot. Fred Franz was still alive. The Live Forever book was still the main recruiting publication. There were still a fair number of people getting baptized that weren't raised JW.

My how things changed in just a few short years. By 2001 it was so different, the little bit of vibrance and warmth that I experienced in 1992 was completely gone.

They're lost without Fred. They were lost with Fred, but you know what I mean.

• SAHS
    SAHS

?The Thinker?:

Now that they don't have a food service, probably because of tax reasons, its OK to buy food from "satans World"

Actually, within the last year the Society has actually forbidden people to eat lunch at any restaurant or food stand during the convention!

The Society had a letter read in the congregations in Canada saying that apparently some of the unions for the stadium concession stands complained that they are losing revenue as their services are not required for JW conventions because JWs are supposed to bring their lunch. They said the problem is that some JWs have been observed spending their money on lunch at fast food places outside the convention grounds, and they feel it?s unfair because if the JWs buy their lunch outside the stadium grounds, they might as well spend their money at the stadium?s own concession stands.

So, the union for the stadium concession stands complained to the stadium administration, who then told the Society that if the JWs don?t bring their lunch like they said they were, then they might not be able to renew their contract for use of the facilities for future conventions.

However, I think that is a lot of BS! I think ?Elsewhere? is correct in saying that the real reason is the WT?s great aversion to paying taxes. Also, they don?t want ?worldly? food staff showing up at the stadium concession stands because it would introduce too much of a ?worldly spirit? (i.e., association with normal people having a non-JW perspective).

Now, when you go to a convention you feel guilty even if you just take a walk off the convention grounds to get a coffee. The reins tighten yet again! (I can?t wait for my chance to vote with my feet as well as my wallet!)

?SAHS

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit