Elder occupations

by Iforget 12 Replies latest jw friends

• Iforget
    Iforget

My dad is an elder. He is one of the most level headed compassionte men you will ever meet. Even though he never received a college education he was kind and understanding. Anytime one of my friends did anything wrong they always hoped for my dad to be on the comittee. Now for the rest of any that I have ever delt with save one or two...idiots. No formal education and all were either farmers/car sales/janitors and my favorite 3 that worked on the railroad. I loved that when I was going thru my divorce and really struggling they could only offer stupid advice (the worst vice is advice) when what I needed was someone who understood and could offer help.

What were your elder occupations? What if any education did they have to really and truly help someone who was hurting. This is such a sore point with me. Bastards....let me dangle in the wind when my brother in law did what he did. And then to accuse me of flirting with the prick. On top of it...my sister stayed married to the jerk and my mother didn't believe me. Only my father did anything to help and he had to force the other elders to do something. Oh yeah I forgot...those other elders were my brother in law's Uncles.

• Glenmore
    Glenmore

Sorry to hear that, Iforget. I cringe as I can see your kangeroo court in my mind's eye.

These are the ones I remember (over 17 years):

House painter; warehouseman; building services - concrete, framing, carpets, tiles, homes; septic tank pumper; water hearter repair; engineer (of the "anointed"). I suppose that's the average blue collar occupation in rural Portland Oregon.

• StinkyPantz
    StinkyPantz

My father has a college degree, but it didn't exactly equip him to 'help' people. It's in History, I believe. The other elders in my congregation were also college educated, but not in Theology or Psychology, something potentially more useful for a spiritual advisor.

That being said, I don't think an education teaches empathy and compassion. A janitor can be a far better minister than a psychologist.

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

Mine all except one owned their own business. the only exception was a postman

two of the business owners swindled my dad by doing work in my dad house (overcharging) and (not coming back to fix problems due to their work)

• outoftheorg
    outoftheorg

I WAS AN ELDER FOR APROX. 4.5 YRS. I HAC NO MORE EDUCATION THAN HI SCHOOL AND SOME LOCAL COLLEGE BUSINESS COURSES.

I WAS A GENERAL MGR OF A CORP. "SMALL" FOR 16 YRS. I WAS A GENERAL MGR. FOR A SATELITE OPERATION FOR A LARGE CORPORATION FOR 5 YRS..

I OWNED AND OPERATED A SMALL AUTO PARTS CORP. FOR 9 YRS.

I RESIGNED BEING AN ELDER FOR SEVERAL REASONS. ONE OF WHICH I KNEW I WAS NOT QUALIFIED TO OFFER PSYCHOLOGICAL HELP AND THAT WAS OFTEN WHAT WAS NEEDED.

IF I OFFERED WHAT I COULD AND IT WAS NOT THE "DO MORE-PRAY MORE-DON'T MISS MEETINGS-GO IN THE SERVICE, AND MOST OF ALL, READ A FEW SCRIPTURES THAT WERE EXPECTED TO SOLVE ALL OF ONES PROBLEMS. I WOULD GET HAMMERED BY THE OTHER ELDERS.

WE WERE ALWAYS TO GO IN TWOS ON THESE VISITS. SO I WAS EXPECTED TO FOLLOW THE RULES. TO HELL WITH WHAT WAS REALLY NEEDED.

IT WAS DURING THIS PERIOD THAT MY LURKING QUESTIONS AND DOUBTS WERE STRENGTHENED BY THE REALIZATION THAT I AND THE OTHER ELDERS WERE MOSTLY USELESS DUE TO THE LACK OF TRAINING AND THE MINDSET OF THE ORGANIZATION.

REGARDLESS IF ONE IS LEVEL HEADED AND COMPATIONATE, THEY ARE HINDERED BY BOTH A LACK OF TRAINING AND THE CONSTRAINS OF CHURCH POLICY.

IT WAS A USELESS, FRUSTRATING ENDEAVOR THAT CAUSED ME MUCH ANXIETY AND FEELINGS OF BEING WORTHLESS.

Outoftheorg

• Iforget
    Iforget

That gives me hope that there are in fact brothers out there that try to do no harm. The elders I grew up with were always looking for a reason to get you in trouble and have a meeting.

I guess the frustration lies in brothers who in fact cause such great harm and do it thinking they know exactly what they are doing. A KM School or two and they think they have the answers to emotions and problems when in truth (pun intended) they have no clue.

It is what it is. The brothers now stay out of my way. I am angry and would go off and the end result would not change what happened to me. It might however...make me feel a little bit better. I have told my parents exactly what I think of their lack of protection. Ultimately the responsibility lies with parents. I would never in this lifetime allow anyone to harm my child.

• conoroberst
    conoroberst

so you think a four year course in law or accountancy would help a person get over a divorce, or a merchant banker or doctor would make a more effective shepherd,

how does a job that society deems as worthy or a college education make a person a better (or worse) minister,...it is not in the wtiness mindset to go to higher education as they/we (mistakenly possibly) believe that these are the last days...

Yeah I am sure that we were all architects we would be much more christ like..

• Mulan
    Mulan

My husband is a drywall taper, but has started his own business as a drywall contractor since leaving the WTS.

Other elders were also in construction in almost all the fields............electrician, painter, carpet layer, carpenter, etc. Another was a retired postman, one worked for the school district his entire life.

In the cong. we used to attend, the elders now include a school teacher, retired electrictian, a painter who should be retired (in his 70's), a realtor, and a man who does something with computers.

Various fields, various education levels.

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

I think that the WT is afraid that if too many brothers get university education, they would start questioning too much

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

I was in several congregations. The following are some of the occupations that I can remember:

• Joiner/Carpenter
    • Plasterer
    • Plumber
    • Electrician
    • Builder's labourer
    • Aeroplane baggage handler
    • Computer programmer
    • Teacher
    • Retired teacher
    • Retired bus conductor
    • Window Salesman
    • Window cleaner(s) (surprise surprise)
    • Life Assurance / Insurance salesman (LOL)

Plenty of them spent lots of time away on Quick Builds, myself included.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit