I Could Care Less.

by Englishman 31 Replies latest jw friends

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

I could care less just has to logically mean that you are admitting that you could care less in other words at the moment you are caring a bit -so the correct English has to be "I could not care less"

• myauntfanny
    myauntfanny

How about "to all intensive purposes"? (should be "to all intents and purposes")

On the other hand, you Brits have changed "spit and image" to "spitting image", which makes no sense at all. I hope you will admit that.

• hemp lover
    hemp lover

Myauntfanny,

What does "spit and image" mean? I always thought the phrase was "spitting image," but now that i really think about, that doesn't make sense either.

Here's the one bugs me: when a person says that something has "come up missing" or "turned up missing." If it's turned up, it's not missing.

• Valis
    Valis

hemp lover..it should be spittin image I.E. thank the lord FOSL is the spittin image of you instead of sixie...

what about when people start a sentence with "to be honest"? Is one to presume that otherwise they would not be?

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• Terry
    Terry

If two things look exactly alike it is as though you are standing in front of a mirror. It is a "split image" the splitting image is identical. If not, then, how about this: when, in the days of old, a mirror was made of polished metal you had to spit on a cloth and rub it to make the image clear. That made it a spit image or clear image.

The most worthless, inane, superflous (like my adjectives) and overwrought sentence you will ever hear spoken or written is this:

It goes without saying.

Immediately this is followed by the very thing which one should go without!

An expression I use to hear alot in school was: "You're nuts".

I would always reply: "What about them?"

Terry

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

SP, thanks for enlightening AlanF about those fairy tails... I should have put my examples under the category "homonyms and misspellings" -- which are probably much more puzzling to someone like me who uses English mostly in written form.

• RevMalk
    RevMalk

as long as we're pointing out oxy morons, what gives with this?

"Same difference"

huh??

• Earnest
    Earnest

I loved this recent article in The Times (8/10) :

If you cannot understand my argument, and declare "It's Greek to me", you are quoting Shakespeare; if you claim to be more sinned against than sinning, you are quoting Shakespeare; if you recall your salad days, you are quoting Shakespeare; if you act more in sorrow than in anger, if your wish is father to the thought; if your lost property has vanished into thin air, you are quoting Shakespeare; if you have ever refused to budge an inch or suffered from green-eyed jealousy, if you have played fast and loose, if you have been tongue-tied, a tower of strength, hoodwinked or in a pickle, if you have knitted your brows, made a virtue of necessity, insisted on fair play, slept not one wink, stood on ceremony, danced attendance (on your lord and master), laughed yourself into stitches, had short shrift, cold comfort or too much of a good thing, if you have seen better days or lived in a fool's paradise - why, be that as it may, the more fool you, for it is a foregone conclusion that you are (as good luck would have it) quoting Shakespeare; if you think it is early days and clear out bag and baggage, if you think it is high time and that that is the long and short of it, if you believe that the game is up and that truth will out even if it involves your own flesh and blood, if you lie low till the crack of dawn because you suspect foul play, if you have your teeth set on edge (at one fell swoop) without rhyme or reason, then - to give the devil his due - if the truth were known (for surely you have a tongue in your head) you are quoting Shakespeare; even if you bid me good riddance and send me packing, if you wish I was dead as a door-nail, if you think I am an eyesore, a laughing stock, the devil incarnate, a stony-hearted villain, bloody-minded or a blinking idiot, then - by Jove! O Lord! Tut tut! For goodness' sake! What the dickens! But me no buts! - it is all one to me, for you are quoting Shakespeare.

• wednesday
    wednesday

or the irregardless, which i don';t even think is a word, the correct expression is

regradless,

at least that is what i have been told

• Preston
    Preston

The rain in spain falls mainly on the plain.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit