Did You Ever Attend A Meeting After You'd Left?

by Englishman 33 Replies latest jw friends

• Englishman
    Englishman

Did it seem strange to you, almost surreal?

It's happened to me several times.

About 2 years after I was DF'd, HL and I were newly weds heading for a weekend in London. We found ourselves near Twickenham where an assembly was in full swing, and decided to take a peek so that she could have some sort of idea what dubbism was all about.

Wow.

First we had to pay to park! Pay? Never had that before. Then, we wandered around and the crowds melted away from us like we had leprosy or something. Maybe it was my shoulder length hair or HL's mini-skirt or the packs of ciggys that we both carried. Whatever it was I felt like a turd in a swimming pool.

But the people! Fixed grins, chattering inanely, the men all with brief cases and macintoshes, tape recorders fastened to the PA system with safety pins. Notebooks, pockets with rows of multi-coloured pens, sisters in Peter Pan collars gushing about isn't jehovah wonderful, youths striding manfully with their shirt-sleeves rolled up daringly while pushing trolleys loaded with empty cardboard boxes, teenage girls, the good ones dressed like something off the set of "Little house on the Prairie", the bad one's in pancake make up and white lipstick. Here and there the elite of the WTBTS in their light grey suits and semi-rimless spectacles with gold bits, Brother Currey who hated everyone, once again in charge of the male lavatories, an occupation that he volunteered for every year in the vain belief that he was making some sort of point to the upper echelons of the congregation whom he regarded as managers.

We stayed about half an hour. I was stunned. From the outside, looking in, it seemed like some sort of zoo for people with an hyperactive disorder.

It was the first time I'd realised what a weird bunch of people I'd spent most of my life associating with. It re-affirmed my conviction that I'd done the right thing.

Since that day I found myself the unwilling attendee at 2 more meetings of JW's. One was when my Father died, except that he wasn't actually at his own funeral, it was a body-less affair. The other time was around 15 years ago, my visiting JW Mum talked me into taking her to the Memorial.

After that, as the attendent made sure that no emblems were even handed to me, I vowed never to visit a JW meeting ever again regardless of how much my curiosity might be piqued.

From the outside looking in, it seems to me to be laughable that I once took all this so seriously.

Englishman.

• Sirona
    Sirona

Great description eman!

Assemblies are exactly like that.

I attended a memorial (after being persuaded by my mum). It was awful. Basically people said one of two things to me. The first was that they'd missed me (which was an empty thing to say because none of them had attempted to get in touch when I left) and "are you going to come back?" to which I replied "no".

Then an elder decided to "counsel" me and tell me that armageddon was near so I should attend.

I didnt' go to another meeting.

Sirona

• blondie
    blondie

I decided no meetings, no funeral talks, no wedding talks, no assemblies/conventions. Reading WT literature is enough to deal with.

Blondie

• qwerty
    qwerty

Mike.......

Whatever it was I felt like a turd in a swimming pool.
  • qwerty
    qwerty

Mike....... (reposted the one above had text missing)

LOL! ..............

I've been to a few JW funerals and every now and then to get-to-gethers (the missus is still a JW!)

I went to a bit of a BBQ on Saturday at a good friend of mines house (he has never been a JW, is wife is) actually he reminds me a bit of

Anyway, I digress. The longer you?re out the more you can see the robotic ness of the ?pure language?. It wanted to through up!

It was the turd in a swimming pool thing you mentioned. I can remember how I felt when someone ?turned their back on Jehovah? and the comments other JW?s would come out with like, loser, bad associate etc! I always get the feeling they are judging me to be ungodly? ?a turd?.

The highlight of the BBQ by the way was when my friend was asking for requests for him to play his guitar and sing. I got him to sing aloud ?losing my religion? all the Dubs knew it was I who requested it! I didn?t care by that point coz I?d had about 6 cans of beer.

Qwerty

• qwerty
    qwerty

What's happening to the formating!!!!!!!!!!

Mike....... (reposted the one above had text missing)

LOL! ..............

I've been to a few JW funerals and every now and then to get-to-gethers (the missus is still a JW!)

I went to a bit of a BBQ on Saturday at a good friend of mines house (he has never been a JW, is wife is) actually he reminds me a bit of

Anyway, I digress. The longer you?re out the more you can see the robotic ness of the ?pure language?. It want to through up!

It was the turd in a swimming pool thing you mentioned. I can remember how I felt when someone ?turned their back on Jehovah? and the comments other JW?s would come out with like, loser, bad associate etc! I always get the feeling they are judging me to be ungodly? ?a turd?.

The highlight of the BBQ by the way was when my friend was asking for requests for him to play and sing on his guitar. I got him to sing aloud ?losing my religion? all the Dubs knew it was I who requested it! I didn?t care by that point coz I?d had about 6 cans of beer.

• qwerty
    qwerty

The bit of text missing should have said.......

actually he reminds me a bit of Kent the way he speaks but with a with a Romanian accent, instead of Fook he says Fok! LOL
    and doen't care whom he swears in front of, it's great entertainment at get togethers, seeing the Dubbies faces and his wife threatening the wooden spoon!

Qwerty (sorry for messing the thread up Mike)

• Golf
    Golf

NO! Why even think of going to any meetings when your not going to have a Christian welcome? Why be treated like crap? Why?

Guest 77

• Angharad
    Angharad

Qwerty - if you are trying to copy and paste from Word, it won't show up properly.

Copy into notepad first and then copy and paste into the forum window.

• Englishman
    Englishman

I can't be arsed with either, so I just do it to myself via email!

Englishman.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit