The 144,000-A club for Men Only???

by ohiocowboy 15 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• ohiocowboy
    ohiocowboy

I was just reading some passages out of the New World Translation, and stumbled upon something very interesting. We all know Rev 14:1, which numbers the 144,000, but reading the scriptures after that I noticed verse 4 which states that "These are the ones that did not defile themselves with women; in fact, they are virgins". This seems to show that the 144,000 would be comprised of virgin Men. Another interesting point to bring up is verse 3 where it says in the NWT "and no one was able to master that song but the hundred and forty-four thousand, who have been brought from the earth". The King James version in verse 3 says "and no Man could learn that song but the hundred and forty-four thousand". Hmmmmm. I wonder why the Translators of the NWT decided to take out the word "Man"? Could it be because it would contradict their teachings?

Here is what the NWT says....

1 And I saw, and, look! the Lamb standing upon the Mount Zion, and with him a hundred and forty-four thousand having his name and the name of his Father written on their foreheads. 2 And I heard a sound out of heaven as the sound of many waters and as the sound of loud thunder; and the sound that I heard was as of singers who accompany themselves on the harp playing on their harps. 3 And they are singing as if a new song before the throne and before the four living creatures and the elders; and no one was able to master that song but the hundred and forty-four thousand, who have been bought from the earth. 4 These are the ones that did not defile themselves with women; in fact, they are virgins. These are the ones that keep following the Lamb no matter where he goes. These were bought from among mankind as firstfruits to God and to the Lamb, 5 and no falsehood was found in their mouths; they are without blemish.
    What are your thoughts?
  • googlemagoogle
    googlemagoogle

aint it funny how parts of a passage are taken literally while other parts have to be twisted around to fit doctrine? maybe only virgin men and virgin lesbians? about "no man" and "no one", i think the original meaning is "nobody". most translations use "no one".

• shotgun
    shotgun

The NT was skewed by by the men who wrote it.

I put more emphasis on verse 5 when talking to dubs...and no falsehood was found in their mouths; they are without blemish.

How could C.T Russell who's teachings have almost entirely been abandoned as false be in Heaven....he certainly was no stranger to falsehood.

Rutherford and all of the rest of the WT 144000 in the last Century are guilty of the same...teaching falsehoods.

• googlemagoogle
    googlemagoogle

Rutherford and all of the rest of the WT 144000 in the last Century are guilty of the same...teaching falsehoods.

same goes for the bible-writers

• ohiocowboy
    ohiocowboy

I find it interesting that the JW's denounce others for not putting scripture in context, yet they are the ones who pick out one verse to try to prove a point without reading further, whereas a scripture oftentimes gains a whole new meaning by reading the surrounding verses.

What do you think their response would be as to verse 4?

I wonder if this has been asked before in a questions from readers or anything?

• blondie
    blondie

Food for thought:

The concept of Christians being "virgins" is found in other areas as well:

I wish YOU would put up with me in some little unreasonableness. But, in fact, YOU are putting up with me! 2 For I am jealous over YOU with a godly jealousy, for I personally promised YOU in marriage to one husband that I might present YOU as a chaste virgin to the Christ. 3 But I am afraid that somehow, as the serpent seduced Eve by its cunning, YOUR minds might be corrupted away from the sincerity and the chastity that are due the Christ. 2 CORINTHIANS 11:1-3

So it is a spiritual faithfulness to Christ that is being discussed not a sexual chastity.

Jesus likens his followers to virgins waiting for their bridegroom in Matthew 25:1-12 collectively called the Bride of Christ, who is supposed to be faithful to the teachings of Christ.

Blondie

• jwbot
    jwbot

I knew a woman who was annointed, and she was married.

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

Overlooked in verse 4 is the part that states: "These are the ones that keep following the Lamb no matter where he goes. These were bought from among mankind as a first fruits to God and to the Lamb."

And where did the Lamb go? To His execution. Likewise, the 144,000 is a symbolical number of all those who have been martyred for Christ. They are the "firstfruits." Rev. 6:9 "And when he opened the fifth seal. I saw underneath the altar the souls of those slaughtered because of the word of God and because of the witness work that they used to have. And they cried with a loud voice, saying: 'Until when, Soveriegn Lord holy and true, are you refraining from judging and avenging our blood upon those who dwell on the earth?' And a white robe was given to each of them; and they were told to rest a little while longer, until the number was filled also of their fellow slaves and their brothers who were about to be killed as they also had been." Some of these are spoken as being "beheaded" at Rev. 20:4. See also Rev. 17:6 "And I saw that the woman was drunk with the blood of the holy ones and with the blood of the witnesses of Jesus." See also Rev. 3:12 and 21.

So, the 144,000 are all martyrs. Does that fit the description of the JW anointed?

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Revelation can only be properly understood if you repeat this mantra silently as you read it:

"Literal, Symbolic, Literal, Symbolic, Literal, Symbolic, Literal, Symbolic, Literal, Symbolic, Literal, Symbolic, Literal, Symbolic, Literal, Symbolic, Literal, Symbolic, Literal, Symbolic, Literal, Symbolic, Literal, Symbolic, Literal, Symbolic, Literal, Symbolic, Literal, Symbolic, Literal, Symbolic, Literal, Symbolic, Literal, Symbolic, Literal, Symbolic, Literal, Symbolic, Literal, Symbolic, Literal, Symbolic, Literal, Symbolic, Literal, Symbolic, Literal, Symbolic, Literal, Symbolic, Literal, Symbolic, Literal, Symbolic, Literal, Symbolic, Literal, Symbolic, Literal, Symbolic, Literal, Symbolic, Literal, Symbolic, Literal, Symbolic, Literal, Symbolic, Literal, Symbolic, Literal, Symbolic, Literal, Symbolic, Literal, Symbolic, Literal, Symbolic, Literal, Symbolic, Literal, Symbolic, Literal, Symbolic, Literal, Symbolic, Literal, Symbolic, Literal, Symbolic, Literal, Symbolic, Literal, Symbolic, Literal, Symbolic, Literal, Symbolic, Literal, Symbolic, Literal, Symbolic, Literal, Symbolic, Literal, Symbolic, Literal, Symbolic..."

in short, "Bullshit."

• reboot
    reboot

((Hey Ohio)) I remember asking this when I was studying the Revelation book...the way the WT answers this is that the anointed are 'spiritual' virgins..ah, that explains it then...

they cross refererence this to Philippians 2;15..they're supposedly 'without a blemish in among a crooked and twisted generation..' that'd be us..charming........

Apparently they ar'nt defiled by politics or false religion and have therefore remained ;undefiled' by it; which means they're virgins..!!!

simple, huh?

I wonder if anyone ever checked into their backgrounds to make sure they'd never voted or attended another denomination's service...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit