The bill for food

by Stefanie 17 Replies latest jw friends

• simplesally
    simplesally

Stef...........that's not a whole lot for a week but you can do a lot by changing your food choices.

Stop buying Pop Tarts!!! Buy oatmeal. My daughter loves it.........okay I pay more for the pre packaged Oatmean and Raisins ones but it fills her up and is nutritious.

Buy in bulk...........go to Costco or Sam's Club and separate the meat, then freeze it. Or shop with a friend and divide it.

Top Ramen is 10 for $1. Great snack food............my step kids eat it raw (yuk but whatever floats your boat)

Natural food...........like veggies, eggs, milk, meat is so much cheaper than pre packaged items.

I shop at a grocery store and buy gas there so I get $10 off every purchase of $50 or more. So, I buy 8 gallons of gas and then go and only buy $50 worth of groceries. Coupons of free eggs and bread are common. Free soda, too.

We eat a lot of eggs..........hard boiled, scrambled, fried egg sandwiches, etc.

My daughter doesn't get soda............. I buy milk and chocolate milk, mix the two together cuz its too much sugar otherwise. She loves water, too.

• simplesally
    simplesally

Oh and bisous pointed out..........no paper towels!! I have real cloth napkins and use wash clothes and dish towels.

You can use a pea sized amount of toothpaste.

1/2 cup of washing detergent and get the same effect.

• Stefanie
    Stefanie

Guess i can do better.

Thanks everyone

lol Sally.... Raw????

• Country Girl
    Country Girl

You can buy cleaning products at the Dollar store and they are *real cheap*. You can also buy canned soups, juices, veggies, paper towels, toilet paper and toiletry items there *real cheap*. Another good idea is to use Dr. Bronner's Magic Peppermint castile soap www.drbronner.com in a bottle. You can use it (as Valis mentioned) for body soap, dish soap, toothpaste, laundry soap, shampoo and tire cleaner. Hehhehe. What I do is buy that big ole bottle (a gallon is $14) of the citrus cleaner at the Home Depot. I use it for everything: mopping the floors, cleaning the counters (some dissolved with water in a spray bottle), cleaning the toilet... whatever! Great stuff and is good at getting stains out of clothes and the carpet.

Baking soda is another good cost cutter. Use for heartburn, bee stings, refrigerator deodorizer, bath water and wash water softener, stove top cleaner and soft scrub (use as a paste), white wash whitener, toothpaste,

Like Bisous said: cooking ahead of time and freezing is well worth its weight in TIME saved! Cook on a Sunday and make several large gallon freezer bags of whatever and then pop it in the microwave for a meal. Cut out the pop-tarts, juice boxes, sugary cereals, etc. and get down to the basics. Oatmeal, as pointed out by Sally is a good, nutritious and filling breakfast. Buy a bag of raisins and put a little brown sugar, and they *love* it! My Mother used to make rice and then put milk and raisins and a little sugar. Wonderfully delicious, filling and nutritious breakfast. Make juice from cans. Cook with cheaper cuts of meat and use casseroles with rice, noodles, veggies, cheese and soups to make a large meal from inexpensive items.

Do a little research for your area and find out which fruits/veggies come into season at which time of the year, and these are usually a lot cheaper during that period of time. Use coupons and two-fers on products that you would normally buy!

When I was a single Mother I had to be *really* cheap, and got pretty good at it, if I say so myself. hehehh. I used to be the Salvation Army queen. Now my kid is grown and gone and I can afford to eat in a less budget conscious manner. I like *that*! But for the two of us we usually spend $200 a month (not including eating at restaurants) and still manage to eat pretty well!

Country Girl

• barry
    barry

two adults and two kids and it costs about $150 a week Australian and we dont budget on what we spend we allways get whatever we want, but that doesnt include when we eat out about 3 times a week.barry

• Carmel
    Carmel

Three of us eat pretty well. Salmon twice a week, all our salads come from the garden for six months of the year. We have raspberries, apples and cherries, rhubarb, and lots of greens. U pick blueberries, and shop at the dollar store for incidentals. You'd think we were dirt poor farmers trying to eek out a living but no, its just a combination of a german wife and my facination for growing things. The fish is usually free or at ex-vessel prices so its a fourth of store price.. Still manage to spend $150 a week. But of course that includes a lot of intertaining and a weekly pilgrimage to the Thai resturant..

carmel

• Country Girl
    Country Girl

Carmel:

Salmon.. MMmmMMMmm! What do you mean by ex-vessel prices?

Country Gurrrrrl

• Carmel
    Carmel

CG, it's what the fishermen get paid by the processing plant when they deliver. For instance, I can pay $3.00 a lb. for fresh king salmon. If I go to Albertsons or Safeway the same thing, only three for five days older, would cost three times that. But of course the best price is to have a fisherman drop off one that has a minor scar so he'd rather give it to me than only get a $1 a pound.

carm

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit