FALSIFYING your religious beliefs: an important tool

by Terry 13 Replies latest jw friends

• Terry
    Terry

News

Published online: 06 August 2004; | doi:10.1038/news040802-19

Science secret of grand masters revealed

Mark Peplow

Chess experts gain the edge over opponents by falsifying their own ideas.

Chess novices' optimism leads to a crushing defeat.

© Alamy

For all you budding Kasparovs out there, a team of cognitive scientists has worked out how to think like a chess grand master. As those attending this week's Cognitive Science Society meeting in Chicago, Illinois, were told, the secret is to try to knock down your pet theory rather than finding ways to support it - exactly as scientists are supposed to do. "This is a new result in the psychology of chess, as far as I know," says Mark Orr, a chess enthusiast and Ireland's first international master. The research could help developing chess players to hone their skills, he adds. In deciding which move to make, chess players mentally map out the future consequences of each possible move, often looking about eight moves ahead. So Michelle Cowley, a cognitive scientist and keen chess player from Trinity College Dublin in Ireland, decided to study how different chess players decide whether their move strategies will be winners or losers. Along with her colleague Ruth Byrne, she recruited 20 chess players, ranging from regular tournament players to a grand master. She presented each participant with six different chessboard positions from halfway through a game, where black and white had equal chances of winning and there was no immediately obvious next move. Each player had to speak their thoughts aloud as they decided what move to make. Cowley scored the quality of the move sequences by comparing them with Fritz 8, one of the most powerful chess computer programs available. She found that novices were more likely to convince themselves that bad moves would work out in their favour, because they focused more on the countermoves that would benefit their strategy while ignoring those that led to the downfall of their cherished hypotheses. Conversely, masters tended to correctly predict when the eventual outcome of a move would weaken their position. "Grand masters think about what their opponents will do much more," says Byrne. "They tend to falsify their own hypotheses." "We probably all intuitively know this is true," says Orr. "But it's never a bad thing to prove it like this." Strategic thinking The philosopher Karl Popper called this process of hypothesis testing 'falsification', and thought that it was the best way to describe how science constantly questions and refines itself. It is often held up as the principle that separates scientific and non-scientific thinking, and the best way to test a hypothesis. But cognitive research has shown that, in reality, many people find falsification difficult. Until the latest study, scientists were the only group of experts that had been shown to use falsification. And sociological studies of scientists in action have revealed that even they spend a great deal of their time searching for results that would bolster their theories 1 . Some philosophers of science have suggested that since there is so much rivalry within science, individuals often rely on their peers to falsify their theories for them.

****************************************************************************************************exerpted

Isn't it revealing that science has created progress for mankind by setting out to disprove its pet theories and fundamental concepts and religion, which has led to little I can see in the way of progress, takes the opposite view?

Jehovah's Governing Body of Luddites seem to be terrified of anybody falsifying their chronology.

If they actually believed they had the TRUTH, would they not welcome attempts to falsify the data in view of the fact it would not be possible and thus verify their position?

The dishonesty in their hearts (and consequently filtering down to the mainstream JW) is without compunction. In my book that is as close as you come to evil hypocricy.

I'd love to hear a counter view on this, thus, falsifying my hypothesis. However, a JW in good standing is not allowed to speak to me or listen to views contrary to the orthodox view.

Tsk tsk.

Terry

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

That was an interesting article.

I wonder if it can be used to falsify non-falsifiable beliefs?

Edited to add:I wonder if Joker might take you up on your challenge, seeing as he is one of the few trolls left around here. Somehow I doubt it, though, as he doesn't tend to go for meaningful conversation...

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

The way the WTS talks about "wordly scientists" you would think that they were referring to a group of people that dogmatically hold beliefs in common and are unwilling to submit to scrutiny. Which in the highly critical and competitive world of science is anything but the case.

I guess they see science as a rival, and so they ascribe some of their own characteristics onto them. So this straw-man of "Science" becomes part of the created reality inscribed into the minds of JW's that have no basis in fact.

• funkyderek
    funkyderek
    I wonder if it can be used to falsify non-falsifiable beliefs?

Obviously not, but I think you know that already!

The problem with non-falsifiable beliefs is that they are all effectively the same. There is no reasonable way to choose between them, and once adopted, no easy way to get rid of them, hence the plethora of fantastic belief systems.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Derek:
    Aye, it was tongue in cheek

The problem with non-falsifiable beliefs is that they are all effectively the same. There is no reasonable way to choose between them, and once adopted, no easy way to get rid of them, hence the plethora of fantastic belief systems.

Hahaha. Do I detect a disposition?
    Fantastic, isn't it?
    Hehehe

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

No disposition except my usual cheerful one.

I was using fantastic in the sense of being "based on or existing only in fantasy" rather than "wonderful or superb".

As you highlighted and underlined the word reasonable, perhaps you think that there are other methods of reaching a conclusion. And indeed there are. I fully concede that by abandoning reason, anything begins to appear possible. Using faith, or a whim, or apathetic acceptance of commonly held beliefs can lead to all sorts of strange and exciting conclusions. Of course, without reason, there's no way to know which ones are valid. In fact, there's not even a sense in which they could be valid - because there's no sense in which they could be invalid. But then, if you've abandoned reason, you probably won't care.....

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Wibble...

(btw, I was only playing on words ).
    Even WITH reason, you are unlikely to come to an ultimate conclusion. That's why it's called unfalsifiable.

• Neo
    Neo

Terry,

Jehovah's Governing Body of Luddites seem to be terrified of anybody falsifying their chronology. If they actually believed they had the TRUTH, would they not welcome attempts to falsify the data in view of the fact it would not be possible and thus verify their position?

Very good. They simply don't want to discuss chronology. They need the "Furulis" and "scholars BS Studies in Religion" to do the job instead of themselves.

Even to this day, if you bring the 607 chronology issue up, they'll laconically reply: "You will find comprehensive and up to date information in this regard in the appendix of Let Your Kingdom Come" (Note: this book was published 23 years ago...)

Neo

• Satanus
    Satanus

Yes, this is a very interesting concept; destroying the destroyable to enable progress. It is a sort of nietzchian type idea: hypothesis, antithesis, synthesis.

Marxists have been doing this since their beginnings, and continue to do so. Even human rights that appear to be good, have the goal of destruction to a segment of society, the predominant one. I'm sort of ambivalent on this issue. I think i often bring it up, because people should be aware (conscious) of what is going on around them, instead of following the herd to wherever it's going.

Marxists certainly aren't the first to use this process. Napoleon did it also. Luther, protestants, romans are few other examples.

The same process goes on in my city: poorer, rundown sections are bought cheaply, razed, built up, and become a hot commodity. Maybe i'm getting off topic. It's been a long day.

S

• Terry
    Terry

It boggles the mind. Most religions are smart enough to keep their doctrines out of the area of objective disproof.

The Watchtower Society obsessive date-setting has put it all to the test over and over again.

They have never once been correct!

HOW DO THEY GET AWAY WITH IT???

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit