...they neither marry, nor are given in marriage...

by Tashawaa 19 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Confucious
    Confucious

This really bothered me for a long time. Almost can't get myself to talk about it.

• Survivor2004
    Survivor2004

Hmmmm

I always thought it was the "annointed" in heaven who they were talking about who would not get married as they would no longer be physical beings but spiritual beings.

A strong sister of an elder told me that it was the "annointed" who will not marry as they lost their fleshly bodies and desires,but ALL people of the earthly class living on the earth who are physical beings with physical desires would always be able to marry as that is the way Jehovah created us.

Thats what I was told because that use to bother me too.

Who wants to live FOREVER alone????

Ann

• Balsam
    Balsam

Yes I always thought that was a cruel comment, and that the scriptures was likely mis-applied. For those had wonderful marriages and actually loved their mate being separated from them in the new system, if they died in this one, was just heart breaking. Also the fact that no children would be born to those who died and were resurrected was upsetting to many sisters I knew. I remember seeing loving couples being tore up over comments like that at the conventions.

The other thought that upset me was this:

That married couples would go through Armeggedon together and be married to each other forever. The thought of being married to my husband back then who was a witness also, just sent chills through me. I did not like being marriged to this man and living eternity with him as my husband was enough to make me puke. I did not want to live on into the new system, better to die and be resurrected. I once almost decided to take my own life just to be rid of him. Then a very dear worldly friend said, hey just leave the jerk. If you get disfellowshipped, just get through it and in the future return to the religion if that is what you want. Your God can't be that terrible that he wouldn't forgive you for leaving the abusive husband. Well I got to thinking about that and it seemed like a smarter thing to do. So I did, and was so happy, that I was just plain high at my disfellowshipping. I copped to Adultery to be free of that horrible man. The Elders thought I had lost my mind. I had, I was filled with pure joy. Thing was, getting disfellowshipped was the best thing that ever happen to me. Being cut of from the brain washing of the WTS gives at all meeting and through the literature freed me to think for myself.

Now I would never consider returning. Free from the nonsense the Watchtower Society taught us is great. They should disfellowship more people as fast as they can. The more they kick out the better off they will be once they see how free they can be to really live.

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts

i kinda giggle over this subject... cuz as a young wife i was so in love with my husband that when i'd hear this topic discussed i KNEW i'd find a way to be his wife forever... now after being divorced from that jerk after 18 yrs of marriage i kinda think the thinking of not being married forever IS paradise lol!

• dothemath
    dothemath

These verses have always been applied to ones with an earthly resurrection hope........when Jesus uttered this statement, the opportunity to ascend to heaven wasn't open yet.

The references to the ancient prophets are also in harmony with Jesus statement, as all of these ones will have an earthly resurrection.

One beneficial aspect of this knowledge, is that no one can criticize someone for re-marrying after the death of a spouse, knowing that they will not be married in the new system.

This is a common question brought to the Branches, and this kind of information is always presented in their answers.

It would be interesting to see how other religions view these statements, but likely they would be thinking that everyone would be in heaven anyway.

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

dothemath...I'm not sure of your disposition toward the WT, but do yourself a favor and read the passages again without the WT spin. My earlier post is the understanding of most churches. The later Christology that excluded ancient Jews from heaven (as seen in Acts and Hebrews, both late works)was not endorsed by the author of this pericope.

• Undaunted Danny
    Undaunted Danny

This WT$ Dogma was BIG and a nagging concern all my of my 1957-1992+ 33 years of devout Jdub life.

I would never get married in all the 33 years and remain celibrate.Yes,I was one who really did it.

Partly because of equal measures of faith and practicality.

I was a crippled JW child,with brutal unrelenting ulcerative colitis and chose to stay single and wait on the 'new system' to cure me and give me a wife.

Now I am old (47) and never did have kids of my own,and even my surrogate familys were stolen by the WT$.

Curse you Watchtower Bastards! My DNA is going into oblivion.

PS.I also now too, reject the Bible as the inspired inerrant word of God.

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

I want to retract my earlier comment about Acts and Hebrews excluding ancient Jews from heaven. I on;ly after posting remebered that I had done research on this a while back and learned that I was imposing JW theology on these passages as well. Acts 2 that speaks of David not ascending to heaven yet speaking about his Lord sitting by his Lord, must be taken in context. The author of those words was saying that David WHEN he spoke those words had not ascended, so it must have been some Jesus prophecy. Hebrews in fact says that A NEW and living way to heaven was opened no longer requiring the intercession of a priesthood or animal blood rites. The author does not seem to be assertting that noone went to heaven. John 3:13 read carefully does not support this idea. The perfect tense of the word 'ascended' there requires we understand the expression as metaphor. Many commentators have see parallels in other passages and literature where in ascended to heaven means having personal and special knowledge from god. This makes far more sense in context as Jesus is declaring he has that very thing. I'm yet at work and so must be brief but will go into detail later if anyone wants.

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

OK I'm not sure what to make of Acts 2. If the words can be attributed to the same author as Luke 20 then it seems that he did imagine the resurrection was a future event and therefore noone had raised to heaven prior. Luke seems to be altering the timing of Mark's "dead are raised up" to a future event rather than a past and present one.

• brother devoted
    brother devoted

Your point is intrigueing, and that scripture to be consistent with other doctine dos seem to point to the anointed the rest is speculation about a future that hasn't presented itself just stick to your relationship with Jehovah and the answeres will appear remember pray,study and meditate and a balanced understanding will come,

peace,
    brother devoted

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit