Pick a church . . . Eenee Meenee Minee Mo

by pennycandy 8 Replies latest jw friends

• pennycandy
    pennycandy

After enjoying the spiritual freedom of being "out" for a few years, I now feel the need for more Christian fellowship. However, never having gone to any church, I'm at a loss at what to try.

Since there's such a variety of spiritual beliefs here, and I know churches vary greatly even in the same religion, maybe some of you can give me suggestions.

Here's what I'm looking for:

1. No dramatic rituals or costumes (incense or big hats). Although I'm still unsure how I feel about taking sacrements.

2. I don't want anyone falling over on me from getting too much Holy Spirit. Also want to be able to hear the speaker instead of whoops and hollers and tongues.

3. I prefer basic Christian doctrine. Not lots of rules and interpretation. Had enough of that my first 30 years.

4. I'd like to grow spiritually. Maybe a church that offers a small bible study or classes.

5. I want to go when I feel like it and not be made to feel guilty.

Surely there's one out there for me somewhere. I live in North Dallas, so there's plenty to choose from. It would be nice to at least narrow down the religions that aren't for me personally. Any thoughts?

• Valis
    Valis

Try the Unitarian church on Greenville Avenue. You may run into a buddhist or two at Sunday service while you're at it! Nice folks and not terribly preachy IMO.

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Unitarian Universalist would meet all those needs, though they would not spend much time on basic christian doctrine. They do have however, have people like you who believe in basic christian doctrine, and they welcome them. That's the thing about basic christian doctrine anyway, it's so basic, it's rather ridiculous to talk about it ad nauseum every week.

Just stay away from the bible if you want to grow spiritually ;-)

• HappyDad
    HappyDad

Pennycandy,

See if there is a Calvary Chapel Church near you. I found it to be the greatest since I attend there everytime I visit gold_morning. Here where I live, I attend the First Evangelical Free Church and it is good too! Another church I attended was a Missionary Alliance Church.

None of these churches have disappointed me.

HappyDad

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

You might want to try a Baptist church, they dont believe in toungues and most southern baptist churches that call themselves "first baptist church" arent usually of the emotional kind. Most people think of southern baptists as loud and shouting, but I found them to be very tame compared to the various mountain baptists we have down home in Kentucky. Also these churches tend to have various fellowship groups that cater to children, singles, couples and you can always use this as an opportunity to meet people and make friends. The baptist churches I attend in Kentucky are different from these and you will find alot of shouting and crying in these denominations. I went to a baptist funeral once in Ky, where a child drowned accidently it was very sad, it was the most emotional thing I have ever been to in my life. The preacher was laid out flat on the floor praying and wailing to the top of his lungs, you wont see this in Southern Baptist chruches though. Give this a chance and see what you think. Also heres a tip-the larger the church, the more reserved and less emotional the services are. I hope this helps.

Dave

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

You need to go to http://www.yo-god.com/ and get yourself a God Detector... bring it to the different places of worship and watch the little pointer. When you see it start to wiggle you know you are in the right place!

They have all sorts of models... cheep ones and even fancy expensive ones:

Hell... get one for your baby to wear!

• Country_Woman
    Country_Woman

why don't you visit each week another church and re -visit the one that was "feeling good" ? that way you surely find one, without the thought "maybe another one was better"

• pennycandy
    pennycandy

Such great ideas! I will follow up on every single suggestion. Well, maybe except for the God Detector one. Bless your little heathen heart, Elsewhere, gotta love ya!

• Valis
    Valis

And don't forget to go see the beautiful Hare Krisna temple in East Dallas of Grand Ave...have a nice meal and have a moment of repose in thier temple..

Kalachandji' s Menu rotates and features Indian dishes but food is not quite as spicy as some we have eaten. Homemade bread is pure American soul food. Excellent buffet at unbelievable prices. Patio offers a lovely, relaxing way to spend an afternoon or evening. Booths and tables surround fountain. Each booth is roofed, heated, and cooled. Entire atmosphere is of peace and serenity. Some dairy, but you will find many plant-based choices containing no animal fats on their buffet. Hard to find so you might call first for directions. 5430 Gurley Av, Dallas. 214 821-1048

http://www.iskcon.net/dallas/restaurant.html

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit