So How Does a Place Become A City In England?

by Englishman 17 Replies latest jw friends

• Englishman
    Englishman

Well, it has to have a cathedral in order to have City status.

The nearest city to Weston s Mare is the City of Wells, about 35 minutes drive from here.

But, Wells has a population of only 10,000 or so, one seventh that of WSM which is still rated as just a town.

Wells is also the smallest city in England. We've taken a few people there to visit, the last was Joy and steve who both post here

We visited there today with our nieces, here's some pics. (The Jag isn't mine BTW)

Englishman.

• core
    core

City status is in the Queens prerogative and does not require a Cathedral - last Royal Proclamation of City Status was as part of the Queens Jubilee (BTW Queens prerogative means Tony tells her!)

• Simon
    Simon

They now have some sort of competition where towns can submit to become a city. Not quite as 'romantic' or impressive when it's just some committee that decides.

Manchester is actually two cities - Manchester City and Salford City.

• Valis
    Valis

Salford is a city?

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

The last town to become a city was Preston, Lancashire

• Englishman
    Englishman

Really? That's not what it says on the enclosed embedded page:

• baysixforme
    baysixforme

I was always under the impression that a City had to have a Cathedral or vice versa. However there is a place not a million miles away from where I am and at that place is a Cathedral, albeit ugly and modern, built in the eighty's (need I say more), but no way does it's location have City status!

Bay64me

• reboot
    reboot

It 's the Queens decision...I was in Wells the other day..it has a lovely chocolate shop.....the Bishops Palace is beautiful..loved the swans,,,

altUpdated 14 March 2002, 16.43
    altStirling Castle Stirling Castlealtalt
    Five towns have become cities to mark the Queen's Golden Jubilee.

Becoming a city doesn't give the town any extra powers, but it's a huge honour. Only 17 towns were made into cities in the whole of the last century.

The Transporter Bridge in Newport
    Newport alt
    The lucky five beat off stiff competition from 37 other towns who all tried to prove they were worthy of city status.

The five are:

• Preston in north west England
    • Newport in Wales
    • Stirling in Scotland
    • Lisburn in Northern Ireland
    • Newry in Northern Ireland

The Queen decided on the five after looking at things like history of the town, important features, areas of national importance and a "forward-looking attitude".

She made her decision with help from some top ministers.

Who missed out?

The other 37 towns who didn't get made into cities are:

alt
    England: Blackburn with Darwen, Blackpool, Bolton, Chelmsford, Colchester, Croydon, Doncaster, Dover, Greenwich, Guildford, Ipswich, Luton, Maidstone, Medway, Middlesbrough, Milton Keynes, Northampton, Reading, Shrewsbury and Atcham, Southend-on-Sea, Stockport, Swindon, Telford, Warrington, Wirral.

Wales: Aberystwyth, Machynlleth, Newtown, St Asaph, Wrexham.

Scotland: Ayr, Dumfries, Paisley.

Northern Ireland: Ballymena, Carrickfergus, Coleraine and Craigavon.

• Simon
    Simon

The next time it will probably be some awful tv voting thing ... like pop idol

• Double Edge
    Double Edge

Sorry Brits for butting in, but what is the significance if whether or not a "town" is called a city? I live in a suburb of Los Angeles, in a "small" town of 60,000 people. Town and city are used interchangably (sp) here... no one notices (or cares). L.A., of course is a "city", but unless you live out in the "sticks", town/city...whatever. (Again, I'm just curious as to the significance)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit