Good manners and curse words

by Maverick 42 Replies latest jw friends

• jgnat
    jgnat

I c..c..c...c...can't spit 'em out. Mom didn't. She passed on the trait. I have managed quite well without them. Having a broad grasp of the English language, I can usually insult my target without them ever realizing it. What do I say when I smash my thumb? DratDratDratDratDrat Oh My.

Men watch their language around me, blushing and saying "Excuse my French" if they slip. It makes them look all cute and bashful. There is another great side-benefit. People think I am real smart. And polite. And nice.

• onacruse
    onacruse

Honestly, there isn't one English curse word that I haven't used, and many which I still use, sometimes with vigorous energy...especially when I hit my thumb with my hammer.

"Curse" words aren't intrinsically bad, any more than any words are instrinsically good. It's all in the context, and the company.

For example, on this db, the "f" word, specifically spelled out, is usually edited. So? Are our communications so severely hampered by that limitation? If so, then the next time you're pulled over by a cop, try using the "f" word on him/her and see where it gets ya.

otoh, I can, at an appropriate moment, unload a series of demeaning epithets on my long-time business partner and good friend, and, if the timing is right, we'll both end up rofloao.

Every society, and every group within a society, has certain norms of behavior and language.

That's the human right of a group.

• Maverick
    Maverick

When reviewing the voice recordings on military and commercial aircrashes the investigators know when it is pilot error if they hear, "Oh shit!" right before the warning buzzer or problem starts to manifest itself. In any language. So cruse words doo doo have a place! Mav....damn typos!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit