If you live near the Bowers Museum, Santa Ana, California, you may like to visit this exhibition

by fulltimestudent 3 Replies latest social current

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

In 1986, workman near the Chinese city of Chengdu (in Sichuan province) dug up some 200 relics of an unknown civilisation:

Excavation-Site

the bronze castings showed a high level of technical skill, but interestingly there was also this:

Pit

Elephants in China, and important to the elite that ordered the fabrication of the masks, some obviously large enough to be fitted to an elephant's head? Many more questions and few answers.

But there are some clues.

First, modern Sichuan Province is just to the north of modern Yunnan province which borders modern Burma which borders modern India, Thailand and Laos - which are all important ancient centres of elephant culture and worship. 

Of even greater interest, is the fact that there are still wild elephants in China's Yunnan Province, not so far from Sichuan Province. How widely elephants ranged in this area of the China of two thousand years ago is not known.

Further, the entire area is an interface between Aryan-Indian civilisation and Chinese civilisation. So we could easily imagine that a little more than three millenia ago, before Abraham was, an elite (perhaps from the south),with attachments to a nascent elephant culture took control of the locality where the relics have been found. At that time the Shang dynasty was ruling central China, and some hundreds of years later (before Jerusalem was captured by the Babylonians and the Jewish/Israelite elite deported to Babylon and Kongzi (Confucius) was teaching the nascent Chinese civilisation the right way to live), the elephant culture people of Sanxingdui collapsed.

So, if you can make it to Santa Ana, I can recommend this exhibition as opening your mind to the beginnings of a civilisation about which the Isrealite/Jews knew nothing.

The exhibition closes on March 15, 2015.

If you' like to know more, this is the Museum's web-site: http://www.bowers.org/index.php/exhibitions/upcoming-exhibitions/190-china-s-lost-civilization-the-mystery-of-sanxingdui

• freein2004
    freein2004
    Awesome! Thanks for the info. I will definitely check this out. :)
  • Dagney
    Dagney

Yes, I just went to this exhibit about a month ago.  I went with my newly exited JW gf.  We decided to do something interesting during former meeting times and while her husband was at the meetings.  

This exhibit is amazing.  The faces of the statues do not look typical.  Some look like totems from the NW.  The docent said they are very similar to Mayan, but no matter how hard they tried, they could not come up with a connection.  Also, they have not been able to locate  the foundry for all the bronze works or wheels.  They know nothing about these people.   

Large-Bronze-Bird-Head

And isn't this guy magnificent!  He is tall.

Standing-Figure

Really great exhibit.  

• Viviane
    Viviane
    That's amazing. There are still mysteries to be solved and that's exciting and incredible.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit