reappoinments to elder or MS after a move...why?

by chester 16 Replies latest jw friends

• sawthelight
    sawthelight

it all depends who you are friends with!
    i once watched the ministry school overseer tell a brother (who had just moved in from 1000 miles away and was living in another city 40 miles away) which parts he would have in the upcoming months. (they were no 1's, elder or m.s. only). this was 1 month before co's visit.there was no announcement that brother "new" was appointed as an elder until 1 month after co's visit(branch letter). Of course brother "new" had a brother in the circuit work, was close friends to the PO(the PO's father had brought brother "new" into the un-truth(i recall hearing that the PO's father had also bought in a family of which a daughter had married Ken Little, Canada Branch Overseer, although no proof), also bother "new" has a son who is married to the daughter of the local jdub godfather(he goes to the corporation meetings every october).So as you can see the discision was made before the co's visit.To finish off the storey, brother "new" was a real idiot. once he stated that women in quebec were not allowed to take their husband's surname(during the Tower that he was conducting). he should have known better, he had moved in from Montreal, the largest city in quebec.No one ever questioned this (he is an elder after all) even though several in the cong had attended weddings in montreal including the the daughter of another elder and everone knew better.

dumb dumb wasn't even living in the cong's territory during this time. when he moved, he moved in with his son who lived in another cong where the need was greater for "qualified" men.
    to top it all off meeting times were even put back, one of the reasons given being to allow for brother "new " to get to the KH on time.
    any way that's my rant for today. I know the nepotism sounds like something from the british royal family but it's all true.
    sawthelight

• VeniceIT
    VeniceIT

One word=CONTROL!!!!

Ven

• Disengaged
    Disengaged

One reason for the delay, is the bullshit "letter of recommendation" that follows someone wherever he or she may go. I hate that arrangement. It really sucks how they getaway with that.

IBBEROEAN "Just making sure!"

• Moxy
    Moxy

sawthelight, that situation isnt really that unusual. a brother can give instruction talks and service meeting parts before his re-appointment provided he has a letter of recomendation. i have done so myself many times and im certainly not related to ken little, heh.

i even had a local public talk once before my re-appointment which was a bit odd because the chairman would normally announce the speaker as 'a local elder' or 'local ministerial servant' and he couldnt really think what to say for me.

mox

• TR
    TR

This re-appointment thang was my ticket to slip away. When I was ready to move, The elders had a meeting with me to ponder the idea of sending a letter of recommendation. I told them no, that I wanted to concentrate more on my family. Which I did.

TR

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every
    form of tyranny over the mind of man." --Thomas Jefferson*

• sawthelight
    sawthelight

moxy
    i should clarify one thing, although the new elder was put on the schedule before reappointment, the actual date for his part in the ministry school was after the letter of appointment was read. I think i was the only person in the cong who knew he was already on the schedule because i was standing in front of the bullitin board when the school overseer told brother "new" which part he would take. you see the schedule was already up and someone had "copped out" so to speak of a talk.

now concerning your situation, you gave a public talk before appointment. i am referring to a part in the ministry school. I am most certain that either the school schedule in one of the fall KMs or the school guide book (i think the former) states that the first two parts ARE TO BE GIVEN BY AN ELDER OR MINISTERIAL SERVANT. please referance an appropriate statement if i have this wrong.

also, it was the PO(brother "new"'s old old friend) who had the connection with ken little.

Finally, as i pointed out, this was not a very capable elder. I believe the main reason he was recruited was to insure the promotion of a ministerial servant to the rank of elder. You see this MS was really new (baptized about 2 years).And i think the Po was loading the BOE to insure the Promotion(this MS had kissed up to all theelders becoming best friends with the PO before Becoming even an unbaptized pub). It was pretty obvious that one of the elders wouldn't rubber stamp the promo and the new elder seemingly convinced him to change his mind. However, i don't know how these things work at elder meetings, but would be interested to here your take on it.
    sawthelight

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

Frenchy:

The Society has complete control and say so as to who is appointed as an elder.

I am sorry, old son, but you have it wrong. You are welcome to your opinion about lack of autonomy (notice I said DEGREE of autonomy] but you cannot refute that with another bald statement like the one quoted.

To recap, the Society do have control of making the appointment but it is the local elders who usually submit the names to the C.O. as recommendations. The C.O. may prompt his own suggestions, but at the end of the day, if the local body are adament that a certain brother not be appointed, there is not much more he can do.

The situations I have known of this at first hand are, however, ofeten resolved over time i.e. someone moves!

Cheers,
    Ozzie

"Truth persuades by teaching, but does not teach by persuading."
    TERTULLIAN, Adversus Valentinianos

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit