UK "JW" Commit Suicide--Despite Outside Help

by blondie 13 Replies latest jw friends

• blondie
    blondie

Sometimes, there is nothing you can do to stop people....

http://www.manchesteronline.co.uk/news/s/125/125908_im_sorry_note_of_dadtobe_found_hanged.html

manchester

news

Email to a Friend Wednesday, 4th August 2004

'I'm sorry' note of dad-to-be found hanged

John Scheerhout

A TALENTED arts graduate hanged himself in the flat he shared with his pregnant girl- friend, an inquest heard.

James Wright, 28, a Jehovah's Witness who worked as a recruitment consultant, wrote a note saying "I'm sorry" before he took his own life.

His partner Angela Plummer called police when she found the door of their flat in Chester Road, Stretford, open in January this year.

She decided not to enter the flat because she was worried about her boyfriend's mental state, the inquest in Stockport was told.

Mr Wright's father, Peter, told the court through a statement his son, a first-class honours graduate in creative arts from Central Lancashire University, was "intelligent, gregarious, sensitive and helpful".

Diagnosed

However, James, was also subject to mood swings and had attempted to gas himself as a "cry for help" five years ago, said Mr Wright.

It led to his son being diagnosed with depression and James continued to have suicidal thoughts, he said.

Pc Paul Calderbank told the court he found Mr Wright dead and hanging by his neck from a bedroom door inside the flat.

Police also found a note in Mr Wright's hand which said simply: "I'm sorry."

Mr Wright had complained of feeling depressed and suicidal to his GP but told his doctor he "didn't do anything because of his girlfriend", the court heard.
    The GP referred him to the mental health team in November, the court was told.

Coroner Nicholas Welton, recording a verdict of suicide, said there had been considerable concern from both his father and the health service for Mr Wright and he was persuaded he took his life deliberately.

The Wright family attended the inquest with a young baby.

• El blanko
    El blanko

That is awful.

• Golf
    Golf

Another sad, but a true story, that will fall on deaf ears of the GB and fellow witnesses. They have their own version as to why people commit such acts, and nothing but nothing, will convince them other wise.

Guest 77

• shera
    shera

Oh yeh,that "religion" helps and makes people sooo happy.*rolls eyes*

They have so much blood on their hands,I really think they don't realize.

• lawrence
    lawrence

Shera -

These men are insensitive to the "flock's" pain. They don't realize, nor will they EVER! They'll say, "if this man, whom we called a Brother, was active in the preaching work, active at the hall, active in his spiritual life; this would never happen..."

• Room 215
    Room 215

Tragic. One wonders why the reporter felt it necessary to cite his religious affiliation so prominently in the story, mentioning it in the lead but then failing to elaborate subsequently on any possible relevance to the story.

Unless it's deemed germane as a possible clue to understanding any possible motivation for the victim's action, a person's religious afflitiation would normally be considered irrelevant in the absence of any specific causal reference, say in a suicide note or statement to a friend or relative.

• Obviously Secret
    Obviously Secret

:Sigh: Deaf ears. Sucks. I wonder how many times minister was the medicine to cure his suicidal thoughts. Most likely just gave them fuel.

• undercover
    undercover
    A TALENTED arts graduate hanged himself in the flat he shared with his pregnant girl- friend, an inquest heard.

James Wright, 28, a Jehovah's Witness who worked as a recruitment consultant, wrote a note saying "I'm sorry" before he took his own life.

Right there are some clues that the police and doctors won't catch. The young man was a JW. He shared an apartment with his girlfriend. The girlfriend was pregnant.

The guilt that he must have felt for "living in sin" and then getting her pregnant must have been tremendous. He already had depression issues. Now add the pressure of living in the JWs and the possiblities of either being found out and/or facing DFing. The pressure was too much hor him.

It will go in the books as suicide and technically it is, but the WTS plays a role in the mental make-up of this tortured soul who could only find peace by taking his life. They share a responsibility in how this individual ended up.

The WTS likes to scare it's followers by saying that if they don't share in the preaching work they will be blood-guilty. This situation along with the many others like that happen quite frequently makes the WTS blood-guilty in my book. I had a good friend who took his life because he couldn't meet the standards put in front of him by the WTS and it's propaganda machine. Everytime I read of a similar instance it brings back all those memories and the anger toward the WTS renews itself. May they rot in hell.

• Mary
    Mary

Here's a shocker for you: Last year a teenager Witness in my area committed suicide. They had a Memorial Service at the Hall where they revealed what his parents wanted people to know: their son suffered from manic-depression. The brother who gave the talk, surprisingly was very sympathetic and in no way blamed the deceased for what had happened and stressed "this was NOT his fault". He gave a good review of Peter's life, talked about the resurrection hope and encouraged everyone to "be there" for his family.

This took me by surprised because I knew another brother who, 20 years ago, tried to commit suicide and the elders actually disfellowshipped him. Assholes.

I'm not defending the Society, but we don't know if this young man would have committed suicide even if he wasn't a Witness. Was he manic-depressive? Was he supposed to be taking medication? I find it weird that he was a Witness and "living" with his pregnant girlfriend. Wouldn't he have been DF's for this??

• shera
    shera

So true Lawrence.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit