Please help me understand the differences.....

by SwampThing 15 Replies latest jw friends

• SwampThing
    SwampThing

Hello everyone,

I?ve noticed something of a discrepancy and would like some clarification. As much as it appears that the WTS controls the JWs through their published, written word, there also appears to be a fair amount of difference in how that word is applied across the various congregations, not to mention in other countries. Some members here say this or that happened in their old congregations, and then others say that it was different where they attended. Do the elders play a large part in how the word coming down from the WTS is interpreted and applied?

By way of example, some have said that they were not allowed to have friends outside of the organizations, and others have said that they did indeed have friends who were not JWs. There have been other examples, but my head hurts too much right now to remember any.

Thank you for your time and consideration,

Swamp Thing

• confusedjw
    confusedjw

Yes, as you have observed, elders play a very large part in establishing the "tone" of a congregation. Those with strong personalities and views can shape a congregation in a specific direction. And again, as you have noticed, areas such as association, dress, grooming etc are the areas where congregations vary the most. Even how to handle areas of "loyalty" as some are very hardline and others are "live and let live".

• blondie
    blondie

Let me venture an opening statement on this.

The WTS lays down the rules, the elders and current COs and DOs in that area interpret them. If there is a question, they may call headquarters. If there is no specific rule, the BOE can determine what they feel is "best" for their congregation.

Therefore, you can have 2 congregations in the same city, one that will not allow the brothers to have any facial hair, and another than wlll allow neatly groomed mustaches.

But, adultery is always a DFing offense (unless the JC thinks they are 'repentant'). Of course, the determination of repentance is subjective and they will quibble as to how to prove it is adultery.

Another example, I was told that there was to be no live music at the hall for singing, only the CDs; then I visit another congregation in another state and they have a sister playing the piano....a BOE determination.

It's all in the interpretation and the vagaries and personal quirks of the BOE.

Blondie

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee
    By way of example, some have said that they were not allowed to have friends outside of the organizations, and others have said that they did indeed have friends who were not JWs.

In this example, it doesn't really clarify wether it was known that people had friends who were not JWs. Many people led double lives. As long as the elders or no other JW found out they would feel free to do as they wished.

Some people "got by" because they allowed people to think they were witnessing to these "friends" and that the "friends" were interested.

Those who were considered "weak" or were irregular were also allowed more leeway. I've heard and read too that those who were the family of elders got away with a bit more.

In my expereince the only time I had friends who were not JWs was when I had people convinced the friend was interested.

Another aspect of this might be that as long as behavior did not become "known" especially outside the congregation but also to other JWs then no one would look too closely. But as soon as any behavior would reflect badly on the organization the elders would have been on top of these people to counsel them.

I think most situations where there were differences might fall under these categories.

And yes some elders were always more hard-line than others. But remember the elders had the CO looking over their shoulders too so allowing too much to go on without reprimanding the person involved would not go over too well with when the CO came around.

• Odrade
    Odrade

You also will get differences just because certain rules are subjective.

Usually the elders will kind of set the tone. If several of the elders like to have their microbrews and eat out in pubs, the rest of the cong will usually follow suit.

If the heavies in the cong do not allow their kids to have any association outside the congregation, most of the others in the hall will not either, or else do it in relative secret. Often the really strict elders cannot help but impose their standards on others. If the elders are somewhat lenient in so-called conscience matters, they likely won't go around meddling in other congregants affairs.

Not surprising, really, that things vary somewhat from cong. to cong.

• seattleniceguy
    seattleniceguy

I think the fact that local cultures are basically doctrinally binding can be the most frustrating part of a Witness's life. For example, where I stayed in Japan, a local heavy proclaimed from the district assembly stage that karaoke was clearly "inappropriate for Christians." I have to say I found this pretty unbelievable, but of course it became local law. People that balked were treated as disloyal. Two years later when I came back to visit, the culture was still in effect, so my friends and I had to sneak to karaoke and worry about being seen. When I mentioned this to others from different parts of Japan later, they expressed the same surprise that most normal people felt on hearing the initial proclamation.

Basically, it's a legalistic society, so whoever happens to be in charge in any locality will try to put down their opinions as binding law.

Whew. It's good to be out.

SNG

• RR
    RR

My wife grew up in the French Congregation, one of her elders was Tom Cabeen of BRCI, (he's also in Channel-C).

In any event, when we got married, she was shocked when she began attending meetings in the English congregation I attended. It was liek two different worlds, and it realy opened up her eyes. I told her, "This is how it really is ...." She wanted me to learn French and go to her old congregation.

RR

• Xena
    Xena

You have various "grey" areas also where you are supposed to follow your conscience....those areas appear to be getting smaller and smaller.

R movies are one example....when I first started attending meetings nothing much was said about them....then it was recommended not to view them...then it was told from the convention platform that faithful christians had no place at R movies....eventually it moved into the magazines...never became a d/fing offense but it could keep you from being appointed to serve in any capacity. Takes some congs longer to be assimilated I suppose

• XQsThaiPoes
    XQsThaiPoes

We had a Que ball caucasian Co that banned shaved heads he said christians should not ware styles that identify them with the "skin heads" he gave the same talk in our black/latino hall lets say his ban never caught on here like it did in the suburbs considering serveral of the elders had shaved heads.

One hall was hard on braids until the watchtower started printing JWs in braids. The braidless crusade was started by a freind of ours, I assume because he did not like his grand daughters spending money on extentions more than it being a biblical command.

• Obviously Secret
    Obviously Secret

Oh man. The grey areas are crazy. If most of the people that went to my congregations went to some of the other kids gatherings they would think that satan's jamming the music with them. Lol one time at this mild.... teenage gathering my mom was talking about how innapropriate it was then we went to another one about 2 weeks later when my mom had to work. Man if that one was innappropriate this one sure as heck should have been. So much confusion... and your supposed to be free from the confusion right?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit