This generation has by no means passed away.

by AlanB 23 Replies latest jw experiences

• AlanB
    AlanB

Just seen on the British news a commemoration of the soldiers who fought in WWI.

The generation has by no means passed away. There are 23 old British soldiers remaining, although sadly only 4 were able to attend the commemoration at the cenotaph. The youngest is still only 104.

So there is hope yet that the prophecy may still be fullfilled.

Has to be quick though boys !!

Funny I always thought that 'by no means pass away' meant more than less than a couple of dozen, still I am sure the GB know best.

A

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

To me "will by no means pass away" means that a significant majority would still be alive.

The generation of 1914 is down to a handful of people.

• JamesThomas
    JamesThomas

and on some mornings I feel like one of them.

j

• TD
    TD

Only in JW land could the Greek double negative which the NWT translates as "By no means" be construed as "Not entirely"

• Neo
    Neo
  • Neo
    Neo

I was once trying to convince a dub that the WT was guilty of false prophecy. At one point, I showed the now classical change in the Awake's masthead:

Before November 1995:

Why AWAKE! Is Published ...Most important, this

• Neo
    Neo

I was once trying to convince a dub that the WT was guilty of false prophecy. At one point, I showed the now classical change in the Awake's masthead:

Before November 1995:

Why AWAKE! Is Published ...Most important, this

• Neo
    Neo

Before

November 1995:

Why AWAKE! Is Published

...Most important, this magazine builds confidence in the Creator's promise of a peaceful and secure world before the generation that saw the events of 1914 passes away.

After

November 1995:

Why AWAKE! Is Published ...

Most important, this magazine builds confidence in the Creator's promise of a peaceful and secure world that is about to replace the present wicked, lawless system of things.

He of course already knew of the Watchtower article about the generation change. He experienced some cognitive dissonance in his mind and tried to save face: "They may have changed it but the prophecy can still be fulfilled! There are a lot of people of that generation still alive!"

I went on explaining that even if that would happen, that would not change the fact that the Governing Body did not believe it anymore; they themselves had thrown in the towel. And that for all practical purposes the generation had passed away, it was simply a false prophecy.

A few minutes later, he was an X-Dub.

Neo

• JH
    JH
    The generation has by no means passed away.

I believe that too, but the WT society said it did pass away back in 1995, so then they re defined a generation.

• Neo
    Neo

Sorry for the first posts. There were some formatting problems hard to fix.

Neo

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit