PESHER: an Historic scheme of INTERPRETING SCRIPTURE. . . Watchtower style!

by TerryWalstrom 10 Replies latest watchtower bible

• TerryWalstrom
    TerryWalstrom

George Bernard Shaw said: “No man ever believes that the Bible means what it says. He is always convinced that it says what he means.”

Shaw must have had Pesher in mind! But, what is PESHER?

Scholar Bart Ehrman gives us a taste of the ancient interpretative schemes common in the early days of Christianity here:

"For ancient Jews and Christians, there were numerous ways sacred texts could be read.  They could be seen as allegories, in which the literal meaning was simply the uninteresting surface of the text, and the real meaning was something else.   They could be seen as containing secret teachings below the surface that could be unlocked by playing with the numerical significance of the letters of this or that word.  They could be seen as looking ahead to people and events that the authors themselves were not aware of (but God, the author of the texts, was aware of).   There were, in fact, lots of options."

Ehrman is referring to PESHER, which is Hebrew for interpretation. But, it is more than an interpretation because a secondary level consists of "reading into" the text, otherwise known in Greek as eisegesis. (The opposite of exegesis, extracting meaning.)

I can hear you asking your self, "WTF do I care?"

One answer to that is this. As Jehovah's Witnesses, our 'Truth' actually consisted of a similar scheme by various Watchtower Governing Body Presidents following the same tradition in modern times!

Why shouldn't we be interested?

The Dead Sea Scrolls community in Qumrum certainly depended on Pesher to fill their own day and time (2 B.C.E.--68 C.E.) with an  extraordinary sense of prophetic significance--exactly the way modern day Bible students, such as in Pastor Russell's time, viewed the imminent arrival of earth shaking, supernatural happenings.

Such Pesher mentality was alive and well into the Apostolic period as well; " the literal meaning of these passages was not what mattered to the interpreter; indeed, the history of the Qumran community can be read from their own interpretations of the ancient prophecies." (Ehrmanblog.com)

Example?

"Matthew’s approach is very similar.   Passages of Scripture that appear to us, who read texts literally, to be about one thing actually refer to something else – in this case, not his community but Jesus."

What Matthew and Paul were doing when they cited Old Testament Scripture and applied it to Jesus was Pesher.

The early Christian communities had their share of such Pesher interpretations, of course, and damned near became the most prominent branch of Christianity. I'm referring here to the Gnostics.

Example:

Some gnostics, for instance, believed the demiurge was ignorant and naïve rather than downright evil, and provided a very moving explanation to an otherwise ordinary story in the bible:
    ‘When [Jesus] entered Capernaum, a centurion came to him, appealing to him and saying, “Lord, my servant is lying at home paralyzed, in terrible distress.” And he said to him, “I will come and cure him.” The centurion answered, “Lord, I am not worthy to have you come under my roof; but only speak the word, and my servant will be healed. For I also am a man under authority, with soldiers under me; and I say to one, ‘Go,’ and he goes, and to another, ‘Come,’ and he comes, and to my slave, ‘Do this,’ and the slave does it.” When Jesus heard him, he was amazed…And to the centurion Jesus said, “Go; let it be done for you according to your faith.” And the servant was healed in that hour.’(Mt. 8:5-13)

The gnostics interpreted this paragraph with unparalleled beauty. The centurion, they argued, was the demiurge. The demiurge refers to his angels when he says he has soldiers under his authority. The paralyzed servant is humanity, which suffers from all kinds of spiritual diseases. The demiurge did his best to save humanity by means of the Mosaic Law. But the law brought only death; it failed to change people to the better and only brought penalties on the transgressors. Realizing his attempt to redeem humanity has failed, the demiurge resorts to Jesus. He tells him that he is not worthy to have him under his roof, which means that the demiurge doesn’t deserve to have Jesus come down to his lesser world. But he only asks Jesus to speak a word to heal his son. This perfectly accords with the gnostic doctrine, which holds that Jesus’ mission was to promulgate secret teachings, not to die for people’s sins. This interpretation is documented by Irenaeus (Against Heresies 1.vii.4) and also survives in Heracleon’s commentary on John 4:46-54.

A modern type of hermeneutics loosely akin to Pesher is quite common in some charismatic Christian circles who think much of the Bible is specifically tailored to individuals today. How? Well, they would pick passages and verses, sometimes at random, and then ask what God is speaking to them TODAY, with minimal attention to the passage’s context. For example, back in 2000, Bruce Wilkinson published “The Prayer of Jabez: Breaking Through to the Blessed Life” which went on to become an international bestseller selling 9 million copies. It abstracts 1 Chronicles 4:9-10 from original historical context, and makes it a universal blessing God makes to Christians today.
    Another message popular with charismatics is Jeremiah 29:11 (“For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.”) interpreted to mean God has these prosperity plans for whoever is reading the Bible (provide they hold to the right charismatic beliefs). (Hon Wai)

The above information, on Ehrmanblog.com, prompted a member of the Apostate community to chime in.

"I was raised a Jehovah’s Witness and I can assure you this way of finding hidden meaning in Bible accounts is alive and well. Witnesses see the original stories as “types” and consider themselves to be the “antitypes.” For example, Noah and the flood can be seen to have a modern day, “antitypical” fulfillment. Noah represents Christ. Noah’s wife represents the “bride of Christ” who are considered to be those faithful members of the 144,000 of Revelation who are alive in our day (many of whom are directing the preaching work of witnesses from Walkill, New York). Noah’s sons along with their wives represent those who are brought into the safety of the modern day “ark” which is God’s organization, otherwise known as the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society. These followers of God will survive Armageddon just as those on the ark came through the flood. After Armageddon they will repopulate the earth. I don’t know if witnesses still have the same fondness for types and antitypes as in the past, but they definitely used to teach this stuff!"

I found the above to be very timely in view of the fact the Governing Body has rescinded this sort of Pesher in their current mad rush to totally revamp their bedrock system of theology!  How? By doing it again, of course.

It is a kind of "magic slate" approach whereby yesterday's Pesher had a shelf date, and this caused a need for a modernization Pesher!

In Theological Seminary, the above would be studied under the boilerplate of HERMENUETIC.

So you can plainly discover from a brief consideration of Pesher, there is nothing unusual about the approach of Jehovah's Witnesses in 'pulling it out of their own ass' and making it up as they go along!

• Jonathan Drake
    Jonathan Drake

This is very interesting. 

This Pesher is precisely what ended my meeting attendance. They apply this to the Faithful Slave in Matthew when it can be demonstrated that this has no future fulfillment and that he was talking to someone in particular - Peter. There is no reason to think this has some end times fulfillment. 

ive also noticed how Old Testament scriotures are ascribed to Christ in ways that when I read it doesn't really make sense at times. Such as the Old Testament references used by Peter when they replaced judas. The only thing standing in my way of denouncing the bible as debunked because of the "Pesher" shown in it is because the Old Testament itself calls the future coming messiah an anti type of David's kingship. So all those psalms weren't being randomly applied to Christ, they were already understood to be a type antitype because the OT told them it was.

any Pesher developed after the death of the apostles was strictly denounced and prohibited by them before they died, and should thus be igored as in any way doctrinal truth. This applies to all religions founded on Christianity, including Jehovah's witnesses. 

This is why I, personally, read the New Testament literally, and don't look for any meaning. I take it at face value.

• Doug Mason
    Doug Mason

Well done Terry,

I understand that the term "pesher" entered the scholarly lexicon following the discovery of the DSS, where the term carries the meaning of "solution" or "interpretation".

Richard Longenecker includes several examples from the Gospels of pesher treatment (Biblical Exegesis in the Apostolic Period, pages 70-78).

Longenecker writes:

"But though it is often done, it is not sufficient to define "pesher" as midrashic exegesis, which displays a greater audacity in its handling of the text, coupled to an apocalyptic expectation. Such a characterization is true so far as it goes, but it does not touch upon the vital factor in Qumran hermeneutics. Central in the consciousness of the covenanters of Qumran was what might be called the raz (mystery)-pesher (interpretation) revelational motif, which is found explicitly in the commentary on Hab. 2:1-2. (Longenecker, page 41)

Critical to the Essene community, and where the WTS could be seen to replicate, were their extensive production of writings and in their "Teacher of Righteousness".

Doug

• Doug Mason
    Doug Mason

Jonathan D,

I would like to suggest a more realistic and fruitful approach to the Scriptures: Take full account of the complete context.

Not only does this include the structure and format but the understanding of the people originally being addressed - their concepts, idioms, the religious and secular politics, geography, and so on. The writers were writing to their immediate community with the purpose of influencing them.

The Bible is the Word of Man.

Doug

• Jonathan Drake
    Jonathan Drake

I agree with that approach. That's what I've been doing. I've been studying the cultures around the Christian movement mostly right now. Only light reading of ancient customs (like ot). 

So so far my favorite book on culture is Daily Life in the Times of Jesus by Henri Daniel-Rops. I really enjoy that book.

• TerryWalstrom
    TerryWalstrom

Hey Doug!  Good to see you here again.

I would advise anybody really interested in subjects such as this to become a Member on Bart Ehrmans' Blog.

You can try it for Month and decide.

The only definite thing anybody can say about Scripture with confidence is that it becomes all things to all people.

• smiddy
    smiddy

A very interesting topic , you guys give us food for thought ,unlike the WT writers who give their readers discarded scraps of no nutrition .

smiddy

• Vidqun
    Vidqun

I studied the Aramaic word for "interpretation" not too long ago. Here's what a famous dictionary and wordbook had to say concerning the subject, for those interested in the finer detail.

Interpretation. Arm. pishra’ Da 2:24f.30 4:15 5:17.  peshar*: Heb. pashêr < Arm. (Wagner 239); in JArm. pishrâ’ it may mean “meaning” (DSS, see Dalman Wb. 355b; Beyer Arm. Texte 672); Akk. piṡru(m) interpretation, solution, meaning; cf. piṡertu(m) which may mean magical solution (AHw. 868b); Syr. p’sub`esûaµraµ may mean solution, explanation (Brockelmann Lexicon 614b); CPArm., pl. *pṡwryn explanation (Schulthess Lex. 165a); Mnd. pisëra exorcism (Drower-M. Dictionary 372b); Sam. (Cowley Samaritan Liturgy 2: lxvii; see also Wagner 239); Bauer-Leander BArm. 183j; the same in the cstr.: det. See HALOT.

At Dan. 2:45 the angel would furnish “the very interpretation of matters.” Aram. pisherîn. Hebr. peshar: interpretation (of a dream). The noun is used once, in Hebrew, Eccl 8:1, of interpretation in general. The word became a standard introduction to the exegetical sentences in the commentaries written in Qumran. See TWOT.

• TerryWalstrom
    TerryWalstrom

I have to wonder how 'knowingly' the person of C.T.Russell, J.F.Rutherford, N.H. Knorr, Frederck Franz, et al resorted to Pesher to force scripture into their modern chronologic schemes?

That is to say, did the feel historically justifed? Or, was it merely self-aggrandizment?

Maybe this process is not so binary as that . . .

How likely this pitfall is a trap of the ego must be considered, too.

Isn't Pesher a kind of shout-out to the Universe: "IT'S ALL ABOUT ME" ???

• Jonathan Drake
    Jonathan Drake

I have to wonder how 'knowingly' the person of C.T.Russell, J.F.Rutherford, N.H. Knorr, Frederck Franz, et al resorted to Pesher to force scripture into their modern chronologic schemes?

That is to say, did the feel historically justifed? Or, was it merely self-aggrandizment?

Maybe this process is not so binary as that . . .

How likely this pitfall is a trap of the ego must be considered, too.

Isn't Pesher a kind of shout-out to the Universe: "IT'S ALL ABOUT ME" ???

Russel I'm not sure about, I've wondered myself. But I am of the opinion that each leader after Russell definitely knew what they were doing.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit