Kingdom Halls for Sale

by Banshee 4 Replies latest jw experiences

• Banshee
    Banshee

In the past year, I have noticed that two Kingdom Halls in my area are closed and for sale and I haven't heard from any of the locals (I am in a rural area) about the JWs here building any new ones to meet in. I was wondering, is this an increasing trend throughout the US or just a local phenonenon? Dare we hope that the Dubs will go out of business in other regions?

---Banshee

• stillajwexelder
  • Special K
    Special K

In my home area, they sold the kingdom hall once the numbers of people attending got too high.(early 70's). In the 80's this hall was too small.

So they built a new Bigger hall in a location that better suited the needs of all those traveling in from the countryside. They sold the old smaller one and it is now an Insurance Office. ..Weird!

The new bigger hall got crowded and they split the congregation into two...out of the same hall.

Another part of the territory became large enough and built there own kingdom hall too.

So now here in the 21st century.. it now stands at two congregations and two Kingdom Halls.

As far as their numbers at these two halls.. well, I'm kind of in the dark because I have been disfellowshipped for sooo long that I don't know what their attendance levels are.

Special K

• cyber-sista
    cyber-sista

Was just thinking on this one. If the sold property makes a profit does the society pay taxes on this? Do not profit religious organizations pay capitol gains taxes on real estate investment profits? If not, much money is to be made by buying and selling property like this. If the value of the KH increases enough they can sell it and then turn it over and buy another piece of raw land--this would be a real estate investor's dream!. With the free building labor and and volume discounted materials to reinvest into the next property they would greatly increase their assets and make out like bandits!

• Banshee
    Banshee

Thanks for the replies, everyone.

stillajwexelder-- I clicked on the link, but it just threw me back to my original message. Was that intentional or did you mean to link me to a similar discussion?

Special K-- I have wondered myself if maybe they are consolidating congregations into a central location but, like I stated before, none of the locals seem to know anything about a JW Kingdom Hall building plan in the works, so far. However, you may be correct and word just hasn't gotten out yet.

cyber-sista-- Interesting idea. That would certainly explain a lot, wouldn't it? I don't know enough about the tax laws to know whether or not this would be a viable scheme for the Society to implement.

---Banshee

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit