This is your subconscious speaking...

by seattleniceguy 17 Replies latest jw friends

• seattleniceguy
    seattleniceguy

Many of us have had the experience of our subconscious trying to send us messages. Sometimes we refuse to listen and it has to resort to more forceful measures, even making us physically ill. For example, while in the final throes of my Witness-ism, I found that I would get horribly painful sore throats within seconds of repressing a thought about something that challenged my faith in a way I could not legitimately dispute. It was as though my brain was saying, "You need to think about this, now," and then punishing me for refusing to do so.

I was wondering if anyone has experiences like this. I'm sure this type of thing takes many and varied forms. Let's hear about it!

I'll share one experience that isn't mine, so I can't say conclusively whether it was really an illness caused by the subconscious, but it certainly seems that way. A few years ago I had a CO. We'll call him Fred. He was a really nice guy, soft-spoken and contemplative. He didn't employ the fiery rhetoric that COs usually do. I thought he was a pretty decent character.

One day we hear that Fred has come down with this mystery illness. Nothing appears to be wrong with him except that he can't speak. He's gone to doctors left and right, and no one knows what the problem is. I didn't think much about this at the time, but afterward I was talking about it with a friend, and she was like, "C'mon. A mystery disease that no one has ever heard of, which prevents you from giving talks or going out in service? You're telling me that's not his body trying to tell him something?"

I have to admit, if I were in his shoes and subconsciously I suspected that I might be wrong, and I was afraid to think about it, and I felt trapped in my current circumstances, I think it's entirely reasonable for the subconscious to manufacture this illness. It's only circumstantial evidence, but I can totally relate.

Any other stories?

SNG

• CeriseRose
    CeriseRose

I suffered from debilitating migraines for about the last 3 years as a JW. My parents had died, I was majorly stressed and grieving so I put it down to that (I'd also way overextended myself physically and figured it was just my body making me slow down).

However, even as my grief was working itself through, I still had migraine after migraine. Right up until I left the JWs...now I still get one now and then but not several a week. My body was telling me I had to deal with my feelings and treatment at the hands of JWs. I'm glad I listened!

• JamesThomas
    JamesThomas

One day I went to a meeting with the elders to work out a problem.

Everything went well and it was time to end it by me saying a prayer, out loud, to Jehovah, asking for His forgiveness. To everyones great surprise -- especially my own -- I found I could not pray. My mind wanted to pray and go home. My heart -- on the other hand -- wanting nothing more to do with the JW world.

After several different meeting, and me remaining unable to pray, I was disfellowshipped. For years I thought I was insane or demonized. But eventually realized it was just time to move on to a infinitly bigger understanding of what the word "God" points to.

My mind to this day, still dosen't quite get it.

• Cicatrix
    Cicatrix

Yep, it happened to me. I wrote about it awhile back:
    http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/49653/1.ashx

The body-mind connection can be very strong indeed.

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

I won't go into particulars but I find my subconscious will sabotage things I'm trying to do no matter how hard I tryit is as if it doesn't want me to proceed further (my opinion).

Sometimes I will feel extremely weak in certain efforts,,no energy,,nauseous,,I taken that at times to be my sub directing me away from certain endevers.

• seattleniceguy
    seattleniceguy

Very interesting experiences, everyone! JamesThomas, they actually disfellowshipped you for not being able to pray?? That's nuts!

I forgot to mention the outcome with Fred. After several months out of commission and still no word on the cause of his illness, he was permanently replaced. I haven't heard where he went, but I hope he has come clean with himself and moved on. I feel pretty confident that his voice would have come back shortly after leaving the org.

SNG

• czarofmischief
    czarofmischief

I got really sick - I felt like there was an invisible hand pushing me out of the kingdom hall. I could maybe come late and stick it out until the song, but I oculdn't make it work. I hated being there so much.

CZAR

• Odrade
    Odrade

Here's a comment for the world of subconscious/energy that I can't begin to understand: I was doing a massage session with a friend this morning, and I got nauseated. Took my hands off, it went away, put my hands back on, it came back. Plus I could feel this weight in my stomach and chest. Pretty intense. It's clearly (to my mind) something he wants to let out, but feels unable.

Anyway, suffice to say, YES I do thing the subconscious can make us physically ill. It can also rub off (or get sucked up) by others around us. Try that on for size for those playing lurky with the meetings who are also having problems in their relationships. What goes around?

Odrade

• outoftheorg
    outoftheorg

Yes I believe the subconscious can and will warn or contact us in some manner.

This is what happened to me about 13 yrs. ago.

I was in a lot of emotional turmoil, dealing with the elders and a suicidal wife.

I went to sleep one night and dreamed that I was all dressed up and had the briefcase I usually took to the king dumb hall.

There were two white busses on either side of me and they started to pull away. They got so close to me that they pinched the briefcase and pulled it out of my hands, taking it away. Not touching me in any way.

Upon awaking my first thought was "they are going to disfellowship me" and they did.

Another time not long after this, I dreamed that I was trying to control this big wheel that had some how got loose and was headed for a train crossing. I tried to stop it and failed. The train was painted an odd dark green like early autos had. It crashed thrugh a large barn like building and shuddered to a stop.

Then a lot of people left the train and ran to me and then the dream faded away.

The next day I asked the counselor I was seeing, what she thought of this. She said it was my subconscious telling me that there were many people willing to come to my aid and help and don't blame me for what happened.

I have several times since then, silently asked my subconscious to help me with a problem or a needed answer, just before going to sleep.

I don't always get a response but the few times I have, make me believe there is something to this.

Outoftheorg

• MelbaToast
    MelbaToast

Funny side note JamesThomas....

Your name is the name of the elder that headed my JC to df me....just seeing that name sent shivers....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit