Is it the preaching, that makes JW's believe they have the truth?

by sleepy 19 Replies latest jw friends

• sleepy
    sleepy

Do you think it is the fact that Jehovahs witness do a very obivious preaching campian, that convinces them that it is the true religion.When all the doubts you can think off have been raised they seem to just say "well we are the only ones that do the preaching work". Without the preaching work would it be harder for people to cling on to the religion, what else could they fall back on to convince themselves,it would be very difficult.

• jaredg
    jaredg

i think that is one big part of it...yes!

• blobby
    blobby

If you keep repeating a lie long enough you start to believe it yourself ........!

Yes I am bloody gorgeous !

• GermanXJW
    GermanXJW

Since WHAT they preach is constantly changing it must be the preaching itself that makes them believe they have the truth.

My father once told me that JW are the only ones that fulfill Mat 24:14. I asked him if I was part of that fulfillment when I went door-to-door telling people that the generation of 1914 would not pass away...

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

When cornered, this is the last resort argument that many JW's will fall back on. "Who else is doing what we do?"

One thing that I've learned since leaving is that few bibles or bible scholars believe that "from door-to-door" is an accurate translation of that scripture in Acts (I'm too lazy to look it up).

• ohiocowboy
    ohiocowboy

I think another big part of it also is the fact that by their name, coming directly from the Bible, in Isaiah 43:10, makes them feel that they are actually the chosen ones-"You are my Witnesses, is the utterance of Jehovah", and it enables them to feel superior over all other religions or cults.

• Undaunted Danny
    Undaunted Danny

Timely topic Sleepy.In a moment of clarity, I peeked out of the WT$ cult cocoon and come to my senses.

The end of the world has been postponed so that doesn't mean it's not coming! Rather it,means we have to go out door to door all the more now. It's called:Worker cognitive dissonance : When Prophecies Fail A Sociological Perspective on Failed Expectation in the Watchtower Society by Randall Watters:

http://www.freeminds.org/psych/propfail.htm

DANNY CALLS THIS CULT PHENOMENON (cognitive dissonance); "JUSTIFICATION OF SOUR GRAPES". e.g.The car of my dreams was sold to another party just as i got there,ahhh,it was probably a lemon anyway...or,Armageddon didn't come in 1975,just think,"now apostates will have time to make it back". Oh and by the way,what is the "message" of Jehovah's Witnesses?

By the own admission the central CORE doctrine of the Watchtower is that Christ Jesus returned to power( had his 2nd coming ) in the year 1914.

HammeringWhat do you think?

• in a new york bethel minute
    in a new york bethel minute

they also think that they are the only people in the world that displays love... they always have a million experiences of how some brother went to some country and stayed with some other brother simply because they were both JW's. YAY.

bethel

• jaredg
    jaredg

whenever i get into a discussion w/ my parents about the validity of the JWism being the only true religion and they feel like they are getting backed into a corner they say the same 3 things...1. we are only pnes accomplishing the preaching work, 2. we are the only ones with true unity, 3. we are the only ones with brotherly love

WHATEVER!!!!

• Dawn
    Dawn

I have had JW's use this as the "proof" they are the only true religion. So the last time this subject came up I asked the person ....If that's true, then how come over 6,000 missionaries lost their lives in the year 2000 because they were preaching the gospel? None of those "missionaries" were JW or mormon - but they were preaching the gospel. And how come the church down the street that started as 100 people in the 80's is now over 2000 members? Did those 100 people have lots of babies? NO - it's because those 100 members were spreading the gospel. The gospel is preached all over through many mediums, newspaper ads, billboards, books, church services, television, radio, community outreach, and charity. Churches rarely preach through a door-to-door medium because, quite frankly, it's not very effective.

That left them basically speachless!

And how do they answer to Gal 1:8 "But even if we or an angel from heaven should prach a gospel other than the one we preached to you, let him be eternally condemned!" - what gospel did the apostles teach? It's found in Ephesians 4:4-5 " There is one body and one spirit - just as you were called to one hope when you were called - one Lord, one faith, one baptism;". The apostles taught only ONE hope - the JW's teach TWO hopes.

So not only are the JW's NOT the only ones preaching the gospel - they're preaching a gosepl other than the one preached by the apostles and, according to the bible, condemned for that.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit