What happens when you loan a JW a book

by Nosferatu 11 Replies latest jw friends

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

About a year ago, I had purchased a book (new) called "In Sheep's Clothing". I had bought it for the sole purpose of learning to deal with my controlling, manipulative father. My mother became interested in the book, and I let her borrow it. She had it for about a year, which I didn't mind since I was no longer living with my father.

During the time she was borrowing it, she had asked me repeatedly if she could underline in it. I specifically told her NO each time she asked.

She gave the book back to me a few days ago, and here's what it looks like inside:

It looks like one of her fxxxing Watchtower magazines. I'm quite pissed off about this (the book was $25). My wife told me I should ask her to pay for it. I've previously asked my mother to replace things of mine that she had wrecked, but she totally refuses. She feels that since she's my mother, she doesn't have to replace it. My wife has decided to take matters into her hands.

I'm really not happy about this. That will be the last time I loan my mother anything.

• blobby
    blobby

I can appreciate what you say but I bought a book recently, get this ......."How to act like a CEO", I'm not the best reader in the world so I thought I would highlight all the interesting point's so i wouldn't forget them so easy..............it worked, I now have an easy to use ready reference.

But borrowing a book is totally different I'd be pissed too.

• Corvin
    Corvin

Nos, while I understand you are pissed off about your mother defacing your personal property, I had to chuckle at what she did to the book. IT is such a typical JW thing, to underline stuff in the paragraphs of books and mags. It is a habit that I myself am trying to break. I managed to read Crisis Of Conscience all the way through without underlining a single sentence . . . and it was so fxxxing hard not to, LOL.

Hope you have a sense of humor about what your mom did.

Kind Regards,

Corvin

• Xena
    Xena

I would probably give it back to her and tell her that it was something she obviously had enjoyed and found beneficial so she could keep the copy that she had made her notes in and just buy me a new one.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

*sigh*

nos, get the to a therapist.

• ColdRedRain
    ColdRedRain

I'm surprised she didn't burn it for being "Demonic"

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

lmao... hell, I would take that as a sign that she REALLY did read it and took it to heart. I see it as a good sign.

• VM44
    VM44

Something is missing on that page.....

I know! There are no questions at the bottom!

--VM44

• itsallgoodnow
    itsallgoodnow

At least she actually read it. My family hates it when I tell them about these types of books. They don't trust it if it doesn't come from brooklyn headquarters, you know?

Nos, I didn't know you got married already. Congrats!

• Cicatrix
    Cicatrix

"I had to chuckle at what she did to the book. IT is such a typical JW thing, to underline stuff"

Lol, Corvin, I had the same reaction.

The ironic part is, when I got to college, they told me the same thing-mark those books up, underline key points. Well, not if you plan to sell them and get anything out of them!

But it's not funny that she did it after you requested her not to, Nos. I'd think twice about loaning stuff to a family member who went against my wishes. At least you got the book back, though. I've quit loaning out my books, because I've lost too many of my favorite ones.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit