Should I Do It ??? I Think I Will.

by Big Jim 19 Replies latest jw friends

• Big Jim
    Big Jim

I have been working on my letter to our local congregation to dis-associate myself.
    Since my wife is still very active in the non-truth and she also insist that I write this letter, I believe I will take her congregation address and telephone list and send my letter with all the facts about the WBTS history of lies and send everyone in the congregation my letter via certified mail.

It would probally set me back a few hundred bucks but I think it would be well worth it, what do you think???

• LDH
    LDH

I think this religion thing is a personal journey and your wife has no right to insist that you write a letter.

Why not just slowly fade away?

Lisa

• Enlighted UK
    Enlighted UK

Big Jim,

I have thought about writing a letter, and posting it to all and sundry with accompanying DID YOU KNOW facts.

But then, that means we are still playing by THEIR rules. If we don't want to play their game, we just stop.

I am just trying to make it harder for the elders to figure out what do with me. If I send in a DA letter, i have saved them a whole heap of mental work.

But you have to do what feels right to YOU. If YOU would feel happier writing the letter, then go for it. Then you can start your life properly as a non JW.

Whatever you decide - WELL DONE FOR LEAVING IT IN THE FIRST PLACE.

Enlighted UK

Enjoy your life, it is the only one you'll have.

• Englishman
    Englishman

Big Jim,

I don't know if this is such a good idea. I remember that when my Dad was a PO he would occasionally get letters from people who wished to DA themselves, they were always reams long and he would skim over them and usually not reply.

Englishman.

..... fanaticism masquerading beneath a cloak of reasoned logic.

• Fredhall
    Fredhall

Englishman,

Who wants to reply to some stupid letters?

• godlike
    godlike

I agree with EU, if you don't beleive they have the truth, then simply leave them alone. I have no idea what they chose to label me as and to be perfectly honest I don't really care. In my opinion don't write the letter it is really none of their business what you choose to do.

Good luck

• jurs
    jurs

hi Big Jim,
    i think u should do it only if your sure and only if your willing to accept the consequences. think it through carefully and pray about it. i wrote one and i'm VERY glad i did. it fits my personality to do so. i went into the organization loudly declaring to all it was the truth and i'm leaving in the same manner, loudly. i feel strongly that it is the right way to go about it. you don't sound so sure. do it only if you know its what u need to do....jurs

• JeffT
    JeffT

When we DA'd ourselves in 1989 we almost sent our letter to everybody we knew. We then decided it would embarass my wife's family so we just sent it to the local congregation, the society, and a few family members so they would know the truth behind what we did.

Every situation is different, you will have to make your own decision, as you are the one who will have to live with the consequences.

If you (or anybody else)wants a copy of our letter, e-mail me. I have it in microsoft word and can send you a copy.

• HoChiMin
    HoChiMin

Hello Big Jim

I agree with LDH & Enlighted it's good to fade away and it is a personal decision. The only letter from my end would be from an attorney, and only if they went on the offensive first. When I was an elder I loved it when someone sent a da letter, boy did it save us a lot of wasted time and trouble. Make them wonder and think a little (if that's possible) let them waste their time and energy thinking about you. Ie: is the spirit hindered here in our congregation because of Big Jim?

So screw them they don't care about you , make it hard for them.

HCM

• jurs
    jurs

i don't understand the encouragement to fade away. sure if you have family that will shun you i totally understand but not for any other reason. what if everyone felt that way. so many of us read or are reading ray franz's book crisis of conscience. what if he just faded away. all the information would have just faded with him. i finds it to be a selfish, cowardly and dishonest approach. again i clarify if thereis family involved in the org. i would strongly rethink such a move. i personally wouldn't risk it if it involved loosing my kids. but not to because of the above reasons of it makes things easier for them i just don't buy. its easy for them regaurdless of wether to send the letter or not. its easy for them to label and shun you. its not about that. its about standing up and saying this is crap!! imagine if everyone was honest and didn't just fade away. do you think it would have any impact?? i do. i can think of just a few that did stand up and yes it had an impact!!! i think its the right thing to do......jurs

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit